Coaches on Retirement Watch | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coaches on Retirement Watch

Reaction Score
Dawn has made a public declaration that she would rather work in growing the women's game, so I believe South Carolina is her final destination.
Makes sense but let's see if she turns down a real offer from the League........even Geno admitted he would be hard-pressed to turn down an NBA job........if she could be the first female NBA head coach that would be making a huge statement for women in sports.....

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Makes sense but let's see if she turns down a real offer from the League........even Geno admitted he would be hard-pressed to turn down an NBA job........if she could be the first female NBA head coach that would be making a huge statement for women in sports.....
Unlikely in the extreme.

Reaction Score
Is a wnba team gonna match her pay?

Reaction Score
Unlikely in the extreme.
from what I've read the NBA is seriously open to offering a qualified female coach a head NBA coach and I think it will happen in the next few years.....

"NBA Commissioner Adam Silver has a knack for generating interesting discussions.

In the last week, he did it twice.

First, he told Bonnie Bernstein he will be disappointed if a woman isn’t a head coach in the NBA within five years."

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
from what I've read the NBA is seriously open to offering a qualified female coach a head NBA coach and I think it will happen in the next few years.....

"NBA Commissioner Adam Silver has a knack for generating interesting discussions.

In the last week, he did it twice.

First, he told Bonnie Bernstein he will be disappointed if a woman isn’t a head coach in the NBA within five years."
I'll believe it when I see it. Saying “I'll be disappointed if” is a far cry from a sure thing.

Even if a serious offer is made, extremely unlikely Dawn accepts. She loves her current job way more than any NBA aspirations imo.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If the statement is the NBA will have a female HC within 5 years, my money is on Becky Hammond, not that I think she’s better than Dawn, but because
#1. she worked as an Assistant for a while under Greg Popovich who has actively endorsed her
#2. she coached the Spurs in the affiliated summer league for a few years
#3. she went to another affiliated league (WNBA) and won 2 titles.
She has the pedigree that makes it an easier “sell” than bringing Dawn in

Reaction Score
A lot of the standout coaches in the sport are getting up there in age, take a look at some of the big names below:

Tara Vanderveer-70 years old. Stanford joins the ACC next year meaning a significant increase in travel. Stanford also projects to drop off next year in competitiveness with Brink graduating. I wouldn't be shocked if she retires after this year.

Geno Auriemma-69 years old. There is some speculation that Geno will retire once Fudd/Bueckers leave sometime between 2024-2026. He's still recruiting quite well despite numerous injuries and setbacks. On contract through 2026. Not going to make a prediction about when he hangs it up, but I think he'll stick around longer than Tara and nab of the all time wins record.

Bill Fennelly-66 years old. He has a monster freshman class and could compete for the Big 12 in coming years. On contract through 2027. I don't think he retires until that class finishes up.

Wes Moore-66 years old. He's putting together a heck of a season and will have a lot of talent coming back the next few years. On contract through 2025 (he might be the most underpaid coach in WCBB, apparently he only makes 750k which is crazy low for his results). Think he'll coach at least 1 more year.

Lisa Bluder-62 years old. Iowa is due for a massive drop off this year assuming Clark leaves along with Martin/Marshall. Signed a contract through 2029 though and fan support will still be massive next year even without Clark. Seems to be in the peak of her coaching career right now. I don't see her retiring for at least a few years.

Vic Schaefer-62 years old. On contract through 2027, Texas is recruiting extremely well and could be a major Final Four threat in the coming seasons. I don't see him retiring for a while.

Kim Mulkey-61 years old. She just signed a $32 million dollar contract, I don't see her retiring anytime soon.

Kelly Graves-61 years old. He's probably getting fired after this year. Not sure if he plans to test waters elsewhere or call it quits after a very strong career.
I’m thinking he’ll stay through Sarah Strong’s four years!:rolleyes:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Joe McKeown, age 67, recently became the winningest coach in Northwestern program history. Despite that he's in the midst of a couple of verrry rough seasons. Lately has missed 5 games due to an illness. Think he might be hospitalized? I'd add him to the list.

Fan speculation is that Bluder wants to get to 1,000 career wins. She'll likely be around 880 after this season. Estimate of 20 wins per season means 6 more years? It's not unrealistic.
I've had Coach McKeown on my entries to the "Hot Seat" thread for two years now. Given his recent physical maladies, I'd suggest keeping a sharp eye on Evanston, Illinois. N'western did redo the basketball facilities. While the arena's not huge, it's new and in an area where locals will come out and support their women's teams (I Have friends who go to various women's sports there).

Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Becky Hammon is gonna be the first female NBA head coach.

Reaction Score
Could be but Dawn has more notoriety and is a minority candidate which is very important to the NBA.....
Hammon's coaching is better known in the NBA community.
For the first woman, race is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Tara's in a tough spot if she cares about records. If she retires before Geno, then her record for most wins will fall almost immediately. The only way to preserve it is to try to outlast him. But he's got a slight advantage that won't go away easily. Of course, she may not give a fig for such things.
Tara has done the job, but records are just there to be broken, if Geno stays, it will be his turn to be broke,it can happen in 10, 15, 20, .... years but records are meant to be broken.

one day, it will appear that a team will win 5 straight NC, it will be a record broken until the day another team wins 6 straight

I don't think there is much rivalry between Tara and Geno, even if they retire atthe same time, Geno will have the best %, so they could call it equal. But I think the man won't retire before getting the record, competitive spirit

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Or, once Tara announces her retirement...Geno may do the same, out of respect for her. He's not a spring chicken anymore and coaching is a stressful career.

Reaction Score
Tara has done the job, but records are just there to be broken, if Geno stays, it will be his turn to be broke,it can happen in 10, 15, 20, .... years but records are meant to be broken.

It will be very difficult for anyone to get anywhere close to Tara/Geno.

Kim Mulkey, hugely successful, but she started as a HC too late. She's 62 and 500 wins behind Tara. Aint happening.

Dawn Staley, age 53, hugely successful, had 574 wins at the end of last year. If she coaches until 70 and averages 35 wins/year (very very difficult), she doesnt get to 1200 wins.

Suppose the record is 1250, and Staley averages an impressive 33 wins/year. She would need 21 years. Not impossible, but ....

And keep in mind that many had linearly extrapolated how many years it would take for Geno to pass Tara. Then he had the audacity to not win the NC every year

Reaction Score
I could see Tara leaving sooner than later. She will have the record for wins, face increased travel in a new conference, and also she is now facing the reality of many other coaches where players will leave over PT or NIL opportunities. She lost several from last year besides Betts despite the appeal of the Stanford degree.

Health is an unknown commodity for many as we age and I know I feel very different at 51 than at even 41 and have a job that is far less demanding than head coach of a major D1 program.
51, you are just a kid, I am 82 and retired. You have so many wonder thing still to experience. Just enjoy it and have fun! Here’s hoping you let life become more meaningful as you grow older, I did and I still feel I have something left to accomplish, wishing you the very BEST!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom