Coaches Next Year | The Boneyard

Coaches Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We know PP was given a short time frame to keep current coaches and to build a new staff, but I'm gonna be pissseeddd off if Cersosimo is on the staff next season. I don't care who his dad is, our WR's have sucked it up for multiple years and have shown little growth or improvement. We blamed (rightfully so) Frazer's lack of touch, Endres soft throws, DJ and Bones horrific accuracy and even McCummings' poor touch.

But 90% of the throws by Johnny Mac were on the money, in stride and on the hands. I Moore shouldn't ever be allowed to run across the middle again. Did he take a big hit somewhere in his career that I don't remember. He's good on the outs and sideline, but drops way to many passes between the hash marks.

I'm very happy with what DeLeone has come up with regarding schemes. For the past 4-5 games, as the players have gotten more comfortable with the system, we have had players wide open all over the field. We actually have a competent two-headed QB system going (not a system I prefer, but it's improving and working better).

When PP was hired and he brough DeLeone with him, they promised a more vertical passing game. And they've delivered. We consistently have plays called that get WR's open 15-20 yards downfield. Compared to the past 5 years, our current passing game is light year's ahead.

But my God, our WR's (outside of K Moore) are atrocious. I really hope the BCU transfer and some freshmen are ready to play right away.

Don Brown needs to be on a short leash too. The defense has regressed in many areas and it's on his watch that it's happening. I don't want him being DC and CB position coach. Get another coach who can coach the DB's. Hank can stay as long as he wants. Perkins is another coach that should be on a short leash. Safeties have been mediocre at best for many years now. He's on year two and if by next year they aren't much better, he needs to go.

Watching the team today was like watching a basketball team run the Princeton offense and end up missing 10 wide open layups.

Reaction Score
We know PP was given a short time frame to keep current coaches and to build a new staff, but I'm gonna be pissseeddd off if Cersosimo is on the staff next season. I don't care who his dad is, our WR's have sucked it up for multiple years and have shown little growth or improvement. We blamed (rightfully so) Frazer's lack of touch, Endres soft throws, DJ and Bones horrific accuracy and even McCummings' poor touch.

But 90% of the throws by Johnny Mac were on the money, in stride and on the hands. I Moore shouldn't ever be allowed to run across the middle again. Did he take a big hit somewhere in his career that I don't remember. He's good on the outs and sideline, but drops way to many passes between the hash marks.

I'm very happy with what DeLeone has come up with regarding schemes. For the past 4-5 games, as the players have gotten more comfortable with the system, we have had players wide open all over the field. We actually have a competent two-headed QB system going (not a system I prefer, but it's improving and working better).

When PP was hired and he brough DeLeone with him, they promised a more vertical passing game. And they've delivered. We consistently have plays called that get WR's open 15-20 yards downfield. Compared to the past 5 years, our current passing game is light year's ahead.

But my God, our WR's (outside of K Moore) are atrocious. I really hope the BCU transfer and some freshmen are ready to play right away.

Don Brown needs to be on a short leash too. The defense has regressed in many areas and it's on his watch that it's happening. I don't want him being DC and CB position coach. Get another coach who can coach the DB's. Hank can stay as long as he wants. Perkins is another coach that should be on a short leash. Safeties have been mediocre at best for many years now. He's on year two and if by next year they aren't much better, he needs to go.

Watching the team today was like watching a basketball team run the Princeton offense and end up missing 10 wide open layups.

Great post. Agree strongly with most everything.

Reaction Score

Agreed-good call.

Don Brown needs to be on a short leash too.

Yes Sir.

Obviously people can cherry-pick plays from games to support their views, but I remember being blown away at the midpoint of the 1st quarter when UL was on O, we ridiculously overloaded one side of the LOS with like 10 sec to go on the playclock. The frosh QB saw the ridiculous defensive alignment, audibled and moved his RB over for the standard read-option play, and we didn't adjust at all and had a big run. It was an obscene, risky defensive alignment that could work if you rotate to it as the QB is getting the snap (assuming you guess the offensive side's play correctly), but the fact that we rotated to that overplay in plain sight with tons of time for the QB to adjust-mind boggling.

I don't think Coach Brown deserves much credit for our Run D upfront because we have nasty personnel up there. Where he can make an impact, I haven't been impressed for the most part. I know this is year one for him, so there will be growing pains, but as you mentioned, the D isn't PROGRESSING. That's the part that makes me nervous.

Reaction Score
2nd your thoughts Chin...ESPECIALLY on Cersosimo! He is also the recruiting coordinator. I can see Wholley also being on a short leash...with White being moved back to linebackers coach where he has his experience and P bringing in a new rb coach.

Reaction Score
All I know is that Coach P cannot let Foley go. One of the best offensive line coaches in the nation.

Reaction Score

Agree...the throws were there several times today and the kids did not execute. Must be very frustrating since the coaching staff can prepare the kids, call the right plays but can not make the catches for them.

Have not seen anything from Abrams, Davis or Jones that is making me think they are any different. Have all seen the field and have yet to make any kind of impact. Agree about the defense...far too many missed tackles.

Reaction Score
Aside from DeLeone, Don Brown, and Clayton White I think they all may be on a short leash.

Reaction Score
IMO someone has to be leaving, as they most likely need to make room for Mike Cerullo, as the chances of him staying on as a program aide for another year is probably slim, but then again you never know... Here is his bio off the UConn site:

Michael Cerullo, who has extensive experience in both the National Football League and the college level, has been named a Program Aide with the University of Connecticut football program.
Cerullo was most recently an offensive consultant for the University of Miami for the 2010 season and also had a number of recruiting responsibilities.
Cerullo spent four seasons with the New Orleans Saints - from 2007-08 as an Offensive Assistant working with the offensive line and special teams and from 2009-10 as the Assistant to the Defensive Coordinator. His duties with the Saints included providing quality control on both offense and defense, assisting with linebackers and special teams and all scout teams. He also performed film breakdown and creating scouting reports.
Cerullo was a Pro Personnel and Special Teams Intern with the Atlanta Falcons in the 2006 and '07 seasons.
He was a Defensive Graduate Assistant at Syracuse from 2003-05 and worked alongside current Husky head coach Paul Pasqualoni for the first two seasons.
From 2000-02, Cerullo worked at Northeastern an assistant coach working with the tight ends and linebackers. With the Huskies, he served with current UConn defensive coordinator Don Brown, who was the head coach for NU at the time.
A native of Middleton, Mass., he was an assistant coach at Curry College in Milton, Mass. in 1999 and was the assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at Masconomet Regional High School in Topsfield, Mass., from 1991-98.
Cerullo is a 1999 graduate of Central Connecticut with a Bachelor's degree in science, industrial technology and project management. He was a running back for the Blue Devils football team.

Reaction Score
Agreed Chin. I posted a similar sentiment during the week last week, and only feel so much stronger about it today. I. Moore dropped several, Nick dropped a couple, the TE's struggled, K. Moore dropped a big one on our opening drive of the 2nd half that would have gotten us down to UL's 30, and there were several others I know I'm forgetting. Listening to WTIC on the drive home, they counted something like 10 drops of very catchable balls. I've never been a huge JMc proponent, but he was let down by his WR's in a big way yesterday.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Obviously people can cherry-pick plays from games to support their views, but I remember being blown away at the midpoint of the 1st quarter when UL was on O, we ridiculously overloaded one side of the LOS with like 10 sec to go on the playclock. The frosh QB saw the ridiculous defensive alignment, audibled and moved his RB over for the standard read-option play, and we didn't adjust at all and had a big run. It was an obscene, risky defensive alignment that could work if you rotate to it as the QB is getting the snap (assuming you guess the offensive side's play correctly), but the fact that we rotated to that overplay in plain sight with tons of time for the QB to adjust-mind boggling.

That play was ridiculous - the DE on the right was wide of the TE and was the only guy right of the center. For all the pre-snap movement we've used, hard to believe we just line up and let them audible like that.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Chin, I was thinking the exact same thing about Sos. Regardless of how the season ends, there needs to be at least one change on the staff. Sos has had ample time to build up the WR's - and yet only Easley has really shown substantial improvement under his watch.

Reaction Score
Agree...the throws were there several times today and the kids did not execute. Must be very frustrating since the coaching staff can prepare the kids, call the right plays but can not make the catches for them.

Have not seen anything from Abrams, Davis or Jones that is making me think they are any different. Have all seen the field and have yet to make any kind of impact. Agree about the defense...far too many missed tackles.
And we went out and got 2 WR transfers and a JUCO TE hint hint ....................

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm agreeing with both FDNY and Lewconn.

The only locks to return as assistants are Deleone, Brown and White. White will move to defense (which could spell the end for Perkins) and Cerullo could end up as RB coach. One name I would be surprised not to see on our staff next year is John Reagan, a PPasq favorite (and former player at Cuse) who is an assistant at Rice (could have very good recruiting ties). His name surfaced last February as a possible addition.

My gut tells me that Cersosimo (because of his late father being an in state favorite) is still safe. I don't know if anyone else is and this is a bit disconcerting. I personally believe that Foley has been our best assistant since he arrived but my gut tells me this is his only year under PPasq/Deleone. GD seems to favor a different style than what Foley teaches (I still prefer using fundamentals when blocking, which is Foley's strength) so a change may be imminent.

I have no idea on what future holds for Moorehead or Hughes and I believe that Wholley was merely holding a space for a year.

Reaction Score
I can think of some good assistant's that will be looking for work this off-season with a LOT BETTER resume's than Mike Cerullo. Aside from Northeastern where has this guy worked full time? If P makes this guy full-time then he deserves to be fired ASAP!

IMO someone has to be leaving, as they most likely need to make room for Mike Cerullo, as the chances of him staying on as a program aide for another year is probably slim, but then again you never know... Here is his bio off the UConn site:

Michael Cerullo, who has extensive experience in both the National Football League and the college level, has been named a Program Aide with the University of Connecticut football program.
Cerullo was most recently an offensive consultant for the University of Miami for the 2010 season and also had a number of recruiting responsibilities.
Cerullo spent four seasons with the New Orleans Saints - from 2007-08 as an Offensive Assistant working with the offensive line and special teams and from 2009-10 as the Assistant to the Defensive Coordinator. His duties with the Saints included providing quality control on both offense and defense, assisting with linebackers and special teams and all scout teams. He also performed film breakdown and creating scouting reports.
Cerullo was a Pro Personnel and Special Teams Intern with the Atlanta Falcons in the 2006 and '07 seasons.
He was a Defensive Graduate Assistant at Syracuse from 2003-05 and worked alongside current Husky head coach Paul Pasqualoni for the first two seasons.
From 2000-02, Cerullo worked at Northeastern an assistant coach working with the tight ends and linebackers. With the Huskies, he served with current UConn defensive coordinator Don Brown, who was the head coach for NU at the time.
A native of Middleton, Mass., he was an assistant coach at Curry College in Milton, Mass. in 1999 and was the assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at Masconomet Regional High School in Topsfield, Mass., from 1991-98.
Cerullo is a 1999 graduate of Central Connecticut with a Bachelor's degree in science, industrial technology and project management. He was a running back for the Blue Devils football team.

Reaction Score
Out of all the hold over staff, Cersosimo is the guy who needs to hit the bricks! Besides the year in and year out horror show at wr, he is the recruiting coordinator. He has to take some of the blame for the "lack of talent" that it seems every beat writer for a CT newspaper has been talking about this season.

I'm agreeing with both FDNY and Lewconn.

The only locks to return as assistants are Deleone, Brown and White. White will move to defense (which could spell the end for Perkins) and Cerullo could end up as RB coach. One name I would be surprised not to see on our staff next year is John Reagan, a PPasq favorite (and former player at Cuse) who is an assistant at Rice (could have very good recruiting ties). His name surfaced last February as a possible addition.

My gut tells me that Cersosimo (because of his late father being an in state favorite) is still safe. I don't know if anyone else is and this is a bit disconcerting. I personally believe that Foley has been our best assistant since he arrived but my gut tells me this is his only year under PPasq/Deleone. GD seems to favor a different style than what Foley teaches (I still prefer using fundamentals when blocking, which is Foley's strength) so a change may be imminent.

I have no idea on what future holds for Moorehead or Hughes and I believe that Wholley was merely holding a space for a year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Out of all the hold over staff, Cersosimo is the guy who needs to hit the bricks! Besides the year in and year out horror show at wr, he is the recruiting coordinator. He has to take some of the blame for the "lack of talent" that it seems every beat writer for a CT newspaper has been talking about this season.
I've been beating the drum for a new WR coach for a few years. My gut tells me that there is a chance that Cersosimo gets redeployed, not fired. I believe however that we will lose a couple of high quality assistants during the upcoming offseason shakeup.

Reaction Score
You and me both...I hope P doesn't keep him for the sake of his father being a CT HS coach. If we are watching a similiar product this time next yer, P should start calling realtor's to get his house on the market.

I've been beating the drum for a new WR coach for a few years. My gut tells me that there is a chance that Cersosimo gets redeployed, not fired. I believe however that we will lose a couple of high quality assistants during the upcoming offseason shakeup.

Reaction Score
I agree with FFLDcntyfan’s full analysis a few posts back. I do feel that Hank Hughes is safe, if he wants to stay, as PP has gone out of his way all year in mentioning his fine work done with the Dline this year. But then again that might just be the kiss of death…. I also agree, sorry to say, that Coach Foley might be moving elsewhere….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom