Coaches Humbling Experiences | The Boneyard

Coaches Humbling Experiences

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've never thought of this before, but imagine the humbling, in your face experience of watching a kid you'd passed over on the recruiting trail pummel your team. Comes with the territory and no one is infallible. But then imagine the kid is WCBA Player of the Year!

Ex-UConn great Wolters inducted into Women's Basketball Hall of Fame

Seems BC turned her down and Tennessee offered a walk on chance. I suspect there are more. For Pat Summitt that had to sting.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-kara-wolters-0610-20170609-story.html

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
even Geno thunk she wasnt that good, he didnt know what he'd get... besides height

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno would have used a scholarship on Kara unless he felt there was a lot of potential other than her height. Another case in point would be Stefani. She wasn't highly recruited and others questioned why Geno was so interested in her. Three years later she's an AA and a major factor in winning NC's!

Reaction Score
"Odin himself could have sired her!"
Reward for first to identify this.

Reaction Score
From the first article:

"Normally I break into hives when I come to Knoxville, but I made an exception this time," Wolters quipped. "It was funny because my kids said, 'Mommy, the people in Tennessee are so nice.' I laughed and thought ... if they could have only seen them all booing me at Thompson-Boling Arena, you wouldn't think they were so nice, kids."

lol

Reaction Score
I've never thought of this before, but imagine the humbling, in your face experience of watching a kid you'd passed over on the recruiting trail pummel your team. Comes with the territory and no one is infallible. But then imagine the kid is WCBA Player of the Year!

Seems BC turned her down and Tennessee offered a walk on chance. I suspect there are more. For Pat Summitt that had to sting.

http://www.courant.com/sports/UConn-womens-basketball/hc-UConn-kara-wolters-0610-20170609-story.html

Every coach--has missed some--some were never meant to be--. I can think of that Geno missed that caused him heart burn
: Parker I know there are others--I either can;t remember them or spell their names. In any case--I doubt that Geno walked pass any player that ran the table on him, even Parker--she was a never was.

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno would have used a scholarship on Kara unless he felt there was a lot of potential other than her height. Another case in point would be Stefani. She wasn't highly recruited and others questioned why Geno was so interested in her. Three years later she's an AA and a major factor in winning NC's!

My personal--why did he recruit her--was Jessica Moore, from Alaska--a project of all project--she became a pro.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

http://www.courant.com/sports/UConn-womens-basketball/hc-UConn-kara-wolters-0610-20170609-story.html

The former was her dad Willie's alma mater. He played there and they still turned her down! So much for loyalties and legacies at Chestnut Hill.

Reaction Score
The former was her dad Willie's alma mater. He played there and they still turned her down! So much for loyalties and legacies at Chestnut Hill.
In 1962, I remember watching Willie play for Brooklyn's Bishop Loughlin H.S. against my alma mater Chaminade in our band box of a gym. Two years later in 1964, our center - 6'9" Jim Kissane - joined Willie on the Bob Cousy coached Boston College team.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
In 1962, I remember watching Willie play for Brooklyn's Bishop Loughlin H.S. against my alma mater Chaminade in our band box of a gym. Two years later in 1964, our center - 6'9" Jim Kissane - joined Willie on the Bob Cousy coached Boston College team.

I remember Kissane. They beat us in the first round of the 1967 NCAA tournament 48-42 at Keaney Gym in Kingston, RI. I believe that was Wes Bialosuknia's senior season, so it was his last game as a Husky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom