Coaches don't seem panicked like the fan base | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaches don't seem panicked like the fan base

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The problem with this is of course... the thing to panic about is that THE COACHING STAFF WAS COMPLETELY LOST.

Like everyone else on this board watching saturday, I was disturbed by the lack of offense and the inability in the passing game. After the game, many here were seemingly panicked over our dire situation. The coaches seemed to take it in stride and chalk it up to mistakes that were made, but didn't seem to be too worried that this would get turned around. Personally, I don't think we will see this type of offensive game again, but it could happen against a really strong defense. I do think we will be able to mount a credible offensive game against most of our opponents. If it starts this week, and we beat a good ISU team at home with the offense contributing to the win, will the fan base (on this board at least) take a step back from the ledge? What I want is a win and I would like to see more of all the QB's and RB's. However, I'll take the win any way it comes -- ugly or pretty! Thinking back to last year at Rutgers a lot of bad things happened to us on the road, especially early . Probably will happen again this year with an inexperienced QB. But we were great at home. Maybe that's where we make our mark again this year. I may be completely off-base but I believe that the passing offense will improve throughout the season and be good at the end rather than what we had last year. Anyone else see that happening or will this year just be mediocre?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At least you are being intellectually honest for a change. You care about style points. The entertainment dollar? Who gives a #$*&. Win the damn football games.

Not disagreeing with your premise, "the aiming and winning part". However, consider in the NFL that most of the rule changes with respect to Offense/Defense balance have been contrived to increase scoring, offense and the excitement of the game. Ditto basketball. Baseball? They may have overshot the mark there a little with the steroid era, but fans sure as heck didn't complain on behalf of the pitchers while balls were flying out of stadiums at record pace.

My point is simply, UConn football (and all of college football for that matter) compete for the entainment dollar. Offense is the name of the game today. Obviously, offense that results in winning with frequency is the gold standard. But even among programs that struggle, it is generally accepted that the quickest way to level the playing field is pitching and catching.

So let's really aim high as Husky fans and demand a whole lot more. As fans, we not only want winning but we want an exciting team and keeps people glue to their seat (or TVs) for fear of missing a big play.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Go root for Maryland.

You guys are one trick ponies. The coaching staff was lost Saturday. Completely and utterly lost. Has nothing to do with Maryland or Edsall.

Reaction Score
You guys are one trick ponies. The coaching staff was lost Saturday. Completely and utterly lost. Has nothing to do with Maryland or Edsall.
Was the coaching staff completely lost when we coughed it up against Rutgers last year?

The defense looked pretty good to me, we got a defensive touchdown, and a special teams touchdown, same formula as last year. Are they not part of the coaching staff. Yeah, they effed up letting Mac pass that 3rd and nine when he hadn't looked good all night throwing, but Edsall had his share of gag jobs here as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Was the coaching staff completely lost when we coughed it up against Rutgers last year?

The defense looked pretty good to me, we got a defensive touchdown, and a special teams touchdown, same formula as last year. Are they not part of the coaching staff. Yeah, they effed up letting Mac pass that 3rd and nine when he hadn't looked good all night throwing, but Edsall had his share of gag jobs here as well.

Did the defense look good on the long TD run when they had mass confusion and players running off the field in the middle of the snap? Did that 7 points come into play?

I'm not comparing this staff to the old staff. Yes, of course Edsall and crew did a terrible job against Rutgers.

I'm simply pointing out that if there was anything to panic about against Vanderbilt it was the coaching staff's performance.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So maybe, just maybe the coaching staff needs to at least be cognizant of the URGENCY on the need for the UConn offense to at least score an honest to goodness touchdown. It can't be as hard as they make it look. Happens all over the country at the BCS level, so what seems to be the problem with the Huskies?
Right. That's the problem - the UConn coaches aren't aware enough that they need to score touchdowns. Thanks for bringing this to their attention.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
First real game, transitioning to a whole new defensive system. You knew there were going to hiccups along the way. Yes that was god awful. If it continues to happen like when we were getting kicks blocked regularly, ill be worried. I expect these guys to clean up issues just like the previous coaching staff did.

Reaction Score
It took Edsall ten years to clean up the punt block problems, ten years.

Edsall should pay us for hiring him as an intern and letting him get on the job training,

Reaction Score
It took Edsall ten years to clean up the punt block problems, ten years.

Edsall should pay us for hiring him as an intern and letting him get on the job training,
BINGO

It is a NEW coaching staff. We have a guy on Defense that is coming aggressively (far more than the last HC would have allowed) & that is still a work in process. (*see the long TD pass & the odd 40 yard run while we are coming over the boards like we were the Whalers) The Offense is trickier for sure. And we did look less than organized. And so did Vandy ... in case you hadn't noticed ... with their new staff.

I HOPE we get progressively better & things start to click. My takeaway, though, was Johnny Mac totally devolved into not "executing". We can't have that. Either he gets far better; or the HC ... the OC ... the QB coach ... make a change at QB; or I am going to puke vomit balls. I did think we could have a better Passing Game; a better QB than Zach; and something entertaining (concession to TDH). I do think the 3rd game should be better than game 1 & 2.

Reaction Score
BINGO

It is a NEW coaching staff. We have a guy on Defense that is coming aggressively (far more than the last HC would have allowed) & that is still a work in process. (*see the long TD pass & the odd 40 yard run while we are coming over the boards like we were the Whalers) The Offense is trickier for sure. And we did look less than organized. And so did Vandy ... in case you hadn't noticed ... with their new staff.

I HOPE we get progressively better & things start to click. My takeaway, though, was Johnny Mac totally devolved into not "executing". We can't have that. Either he gets far better; or the HC ... the OC ... the QB coach ... make a change at QB; or I am going to puke vomit balls. I did think we could have a better Passing Game; a better QB than Zach; and something entertaining (concession to TDH). I do think the 3rd game should be better than game 1 & 2.
Pudge,
Can't disagree with too much, although we did look awfully disorganized, and slow getting players in and plays called on both sides of the football. that isn't so much coaching as just being organized. For a while last Saturday we looked like Louisville under Kragthorpe. I expected a few hiccups with the defense transitioning to a new system and we sure got those. I also was very worried about the quarterback situation. I kept hearing that we had problems there, and when a true freshman is getting serious consideration, that is usually a bad sign. I wuld have taken Zach back in a heartbeat by the 4th quarter Saturday. I think Johnny Mac will play better, but his upside seems to be pretty limited, and if not, some change will absolutely need to be made. I still think the plan is Nebrich but Pasquolni wants to wait as long as possible to give the kid time to acclimate. If Mac struggles again, tonight will be as long as possible.

Reaction Score
Yeah ... my eyes saw a McEntee that does not project well. It doesn't matter what he looks like on 7 on 7 Or drills. He would have to miraculously rebound; and that problem is the compounded by sophisticated BCS programs that will pressure that boy even more. Could be worse.

I might just throw a McCummings or a Nebrich into the game from the start just to screw with that mindset. If I am the Iowa State DC, I bring Da House.

Reaction Score
Yeah ... my eyes saw a McEntee that does not project well. It doesn't matter what he looks like on 7 on 7 Or drills. He would have to miraculously rebound; and that problem is the compounded by sophisticated BCS programs that will pressure that boy even more. Could be worse.

I might just throw a McCummings or a Nebrich into the game from the start just to screw with that mindset. If I am the Iowa State DC, I bring Da House.

What he said.
Baptism by fire time. And it will be, by fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom