Coaches don't seem panicked like the fan base | The Boneyard

Coaches don't seem panicked like the fan base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like everyone else on this board watching saturday, I was disturbed by the lack of offense and the inability in the passing game. After the game, many here were seemingly panicked over our dire situation. The coaches seemed to take it in stride and chalk it up to mistakes that were made, but didn't seem to be too worried that this would get turned around. Personally, I don't think we will see this type of offensive game again, but it could happen against a really strong defense. I do think we will be able to mount a credible offensive game against most of our opponents. If it starts this week, and we beat a good ISU team at home with the offense contributing to the win, will the fan base (on this board at least) take a step back from the ledge? What I want is a win and I would like to see more of all the QB's and RB's. However, I'll take the win any way it comes -- ugly or pretty! Thinking back to last year at Rutgers a lot of bad things happened to us on the road, especially early . Probably will happen again this year with an inexperienced QB. But we were great at home. Maybe that's where we make our mark again this year. I may be completely off-base but I believe that the passing offense will improve throughout the season and be good at the end rather than what we had last year. Anyone else see that happening or will this year just be mediocre?

Reaction Score
What is there to panic about? I see a team, and a program that is most definitely headed in the right direction. We lost our chance at an undefeated season, in a game we most definitely gave away. Oh well. Fix what went wrong, and time to play Iowa State at home and take the next step.

Reaction Score
Watched the Big 12 preview show on ESPNU.
ISU has a good athletic QB and will be a challenge but most importantly their D has given up an average of 35+ points a game and their run defense is horrible. If UConn's O can not play their pound it out rushing game and score, then it is time to panic.

Reaction Score
99% of the time the fanbase is more panicked than the coaching staff after a brutal performance. Nothing unique there. I think McEntee will start again tomorrow night. I don't mind giving him another chance. Just want the hook to be there in case he just isn't the guy. The continuity argument put forth by P is still mind boggling to me.

Reaction Score
Hoping DJ is ready to go tomorrow night. McCombs has done well thus far but we could use a bruising runner to help share the load on the ground and keep the chains moving.

Reaction Score
Hoping DJ is ready to go tomorrow night. McCombs has done well thus far but we could use a bruising runner to help share the load on the ground and keep the chains moving.

I'm hoping for the return of one DJ and the permanent banishment of another DJ.

Reaction Score
I want a win as much as the next guy. But what I am really looking for here is progress on offense. When the game is done, did the offense preform better than last Saturday. If so, then we are heading in the right direction. Any other answer means we should really be looking towards the future and developing the younger QB's.

Reaction Score
The persistant lack of offensive production is apparently NEW only to the current UConn staff (at least those in their first year at Storrs). UConn was a one-dimension, run only offense all last year. Heck, other than the 9 game Easley "era", UConn has over relied since Dan O on the run. Opposing defensive coordinators may occasionally find their kids overmatched by the UConn OLine and unsuccessful at stopping a Donald Brown or Jordan Todman, but they are never "overworked" in scouting and preparing for the UConn offense. Run, Run, Run . . . The smart ones - or the ones with defensive talent on their rosters - can usually stifle the running game after a few series - as a result, too often these days the predictable 1st and 10 running play leads to 2nd and long.

So maybe, just maybe the coaching staff needs to at least be cognizant of the URGENCY on the need for the UConn offense to at least score an honest to goodness touchdown. It can't be as hard as they make it look. Happens all over the country at the BCS level, so what seems to be the problem with the Huskies?

Reaction Score
I think the problem is the lack of fans in their seats at kickoff. Or a lack of execution.

Reaction Score
I agree that our offensive production has been only been the running game and have wondered why we couldn't have competent passing. I expected that this would have been fixed by now. Although I wasn't necessarily expecting to have downfield passing, I was expecting a large dose of play action, double tight end, passing to running backs(DJ), crossing patterns, etc. I still think we should be able to get this going. We'll see friday.

Reaction Score
A nice win tomorrow will be the equivalent of giving the entire BY a Xanax.

Your words are correct. It will have to be a "nice win." Simply beating a team that just beat Iowa will not calm many down if it is an offensively challenged win.

Reaction Score
Frankly, we are ONE good QB (starting with ONE good QB performance IN A GAME) away from being a really good team.

And ... as always, I am seriously disturbed & annoyed by TDH's continuing belligerance. Goooo ... find ... another ... thing ... to root for. Or NOT.

Reaction Score
Your words are correct. It will have to be a "nice win." Simply beating a team that just beat Iowa will not calm many down if it is an offensively challenged win.
Yup, that is exactly what I was thinking.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping for the return of one DJ and the permanent banishment of another DJ.
I don't know, that type of DJ may be more effective during a night game against a BCS opponent. Fordham, noon, during a scorching day doesn't have "get hyped" written all over it.

Reaction Score
Frankly, we are ONE good QB (starting with ONE good QB performance IN A GAME) away from being a really good team.

And ... as always, I am seriously disturbed & annoyed by TDH's continuing belligerance. Goooo ... find ... another ... thing ... to root for. Or NOT.

But you're OK with the lack of TD's in the last three BCS games that UConn has played? Seriously disturbed, huh? Just not about that though. Oh and just when was the last good QB performance by a UConn signal caller? Not for a long while. . . and that IS annoying.

Reaction Score

It'd be enough for me. I expect the offense to struggle over the course of the year. I just want measurable progress. It doesn't have to be Oklahoma's offense. I'll take a W and a lack of total disaster on O, honestly. Maybe UConn football has just taught me to aim low. ;)

Reaction Score
It'd be enough for me. I expect the offense to struggle over the course of the year. I just want measurable progress. It doesn't have to be Oklahoma's offense. I'll take a W and a lack of total disaster on O, honestly. Maybe UConn football has just taught me to aim low. ;)

Aiming to win a sporting event is never aiming low. Never. It is aiming to accomplish the only thing that really matters.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I totally agree with this. 10/11ths of the O executed pretty well last game

And DJ better get on the field pretty soon or we will have to reverse his initials to JD, as in Drew.

Reaction Score
Aiming to win a sporting event is never aiming low. Never. It is aiming to accomplish the only thing that really matters.

Not disagreeing with your premise, "the aiming and winning part". However, consider in the NFL that most of the rule changes with respect to Offense/Defense balance have been contrived to increase scoring, offense and the excitement of the game. Ditto basketball. Baseball? They may have overshot the mark there a little with the steroid era, but fans sure as heck didn't complain on behalf of the pitchers while balls were flying out of stadiums at record pace.

My point is simply, UConn football (and all of college football for that matter) compete for the entainment dollar. Offense is the name of the game today. Obviously, offense that results in winning with frequency is the gold standard. But even among programs that struggle, it is generally accepted that the quickest way to level the playing field is pitching and catching.

So let's really aim high as Husky fans and demand a whole lot more. As fans, we not only want winning but we want an exciting team and keeps people glue to their seat (or TVs) for fear of missing a big play.

Reaction Score
A win is a win. I don't expect to see "a giant leap" in production. If I see baby steps each game, no matter who takes snaps, I'm o.k.

All the teams with throw a wide range of defenses and stunts at the inexperienced QB's to rattle them......because they know they can, and they know it will work. Practice gives you the fundamentals........live action offers to give you skills needed to succeed....or not.

My big concern rests not solely with the QB......I was equally disappointed at the run game pretty much being stuffed for three quarters........and the inability to protect the QB under heavy pressure. The O line needs to get better or we may begin to rival Rutgers for the highest number of sacks allowed per game.

Reaction Score
When the lights come in a club and you have a girl under you arm, a win is a win. I have taken an ugly win before, and would have gladly taken a ugly win last Saturday. And I know I'm not the only one. I enjoyed watching the defense smother Vandy's dual threat QB, and shut down their run game. That dropped halfback pass would have destroyed a great defensive effort. But all fans love to the offense play well, the QB throw the ball to our receivers(LOL), and the RB run up, down and around the field.

The IS game will show if the the new staff has the pulse of this team under control, or have lost the patient.
Maybe three different offensive packages are too much for the Oline, and Co-ordinator to manage.
There are a lot of walls to paper in the fooball complex, maybe Coach D should do one wall at a time.

So let's see some progress on the offensive side of the ball, and the defense stoke the fire in their hair.

Reaction Score
I totally agree with this. 10/11ths of the O executed pretty well last game

And DJ better get on the field pretty soon or we will have to reverse his initials to JD, as in Drew.

I think we need a little more thanjust a QB. I think we will continue to make progress and have a very good season. The QB (and rest of the offensive) had its issues, but let's not forget the big plays given up by the defense. They played very well throughout the Vandy game, but the 3 big plays they gave up were killers (2 TDS and set-up for the winning FG). I guess you need to expect a few breakdowns along the way when you play an aggressive D, but I would still like to see them minimize the big play.

A win is a win no matter how pretty or ugly. I would love to see UCONN dominate on D again (with minimal breakdowns) along with a decent offense effort.

Reaction Score
Like everyone else on this board watching saturday, I was disturbed by the lack of offense and the inability in the passing game. After the game, many here were seemingly panicked over our dire situation. The coaches seemed to take it in stride and chalk it up to mistakes that were made, but didn't seem to be too worried that this would get turned around. Personally, I don't think we will see this type of offensive game again, but it could happen against a really strong defense. I do think we will be able to mount a credible offensive game against most of our opponents. If it starts this week, and we beat a good ISU team at home with the offense contributing to the win, will the fan base (on this board at least) take a step back from the ledge? What I want is a win and I would like to see more of all the QB's and RB's. However, I'll take the win any way it comes -- ugly or pretty! Thinking back to last year at Rutgers a lot of bad things happened to us on the road, especially early . Probably will happen again this year with an inexperienced QB. But we were great at home. Maybe that's where we make our mark again this year. I may be completely off-base but I believe that the passing offense will improve throughout the season and be good at the end rather than what we had last year. Anyone else see that happening or will this year just be mediocre?

They wouldn't admit even if they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger