Coach | The Boneyard

Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction Score
Ok, first post on this board - posted back on Scout -especially when the corporate bully IMG tried to 'mess' with my employment because I questioned the advertisement practice at the RENT as a consumer and a season ticket holder - Neil Eskin (sp) in the Athletic Department - you are a true gentleman.

Yes, I liked Randy - thats been said. Yes, the way he left could have gone better -he didnt do a good job with that. Yes, he didn't recruit the 4 and 5 star recruits that, according to this board, means BCS talent. What did he do? He won alot of football games at UConn. We will never know but I believe with 'the bare cupboard' Randy would have won more football games this year with non-BCS recruits because the athletes seemed to be much more disciplined.

There is a lack of discipline with this team. There is a lack of concentration. There is a lack of accountability. Some will say dropped passes are on the athlete, agreed, but there is some blame on coaching as well. Being a former Marine, I believe that the results of a platoon for example falls on the platoon leader, regardless of how the private screwed up. As the platoon leader, he is your responsiblity and your job to complete the mission with him in the unit, whether you need to light up his butt or replace him. I have not seen Coach PP make a decision like that all year, QB is perfect example.

Many of you say 'cant wait to see his recruits'. Really? He isnt recruiting on the BCS level you all say Randy couldn't. His 4 star recruit, according to one of his mentors on this board, had the dream to play at UConn. I never heard his dream was to play for Coach P. My guess would be he wanted to play at UConn regardless of the Coach. Did P out recruit another program for this kid? I dont believe so. But it is now irrelevant as he is not eligible. These were the kids Randy wouldnt recruit - whether he was not a chance taker (conservative) or he didnt want to waste resources and time, but he stayed away. I would now assume that #53 ranking would drop as we have only 2 and 3 star recruits. 2 and 3 star recruits that UConn went to a BCS game with, won conference championships, went to ND and won. Where is the effort on this team that past teams displayed time and time again? I do not see it. Oh, and left no QB? Ok, he was able to go to a BCS bowl with Frazier, who every single one of you wanted on the bench. Tyler Lorenzo won a bunch of games and was not known for his throwing - a 4 star recruit according to scout.

I never understood the hire. I thought it was unimaginative and safe. I am not even sure if it is a safe hire at this point. Many of you say wait for his recruits - how long? Do I need to give him 3 years? I have a feeling that it is going to be a long 3 years. I think its important to be competitive right now, especially as we look for a new conference for our program. What am I not seeing from our current coach that gives some of you the impression we have the right man? I ask so I can be open minded and not angry for the final 2 games and try to see the potential in this coach and staff.

These recruiting numbers are from Scout. They make some of the posters points that Randy couldnt recruit at a BCS level because no 4 and 5 start recruits. I went back to 2007 because those were the last recruits who played in a BCS bowl for UConn. If PP is a better recruiter and coach, how long before we are competitive again? How much time do I need to give him to show comparative results that the former head coach was able to produce? Is his recruiting class BCS level? What I am I looking for in the last two weeks from the Coach that will give me encouragement for the next 3 years?

9 3*
6 2*

8 3*
8 2*

6 3*
16 2*

8 3*
15 2*

5 3*
17 2*

2 4* (Miller and Lorenzo)
5 3*
20 2*

3 3*
19 2*

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
great post

if Susan wants to increase revenues, and the football program is not increasing enthusiasm and not bringing in new revenues, my gut tells me she may be very proactive in her response

she's not married to PP, he's Jeff Hathaway's parting gift

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Randy Edsall inherited the best freshman QB in the country.

He is 2-9.

Reaction Score
ok...and PP inherited a BCS bowl team...things change I guess is the point. I have no confidence PP ever gets us to one, so you sort of made my point. Maryland didnt return 22 players and neither did we but the players played hard with many less 'mental' errors than the team displays this year. You believe PP is the UConn football answer?? Why, if I may ask? I must not be that open minded but want to be...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
ok...and PP inherited a BCS bowl team...things change I guess is the point. I have no confidence PP ever gets us to one, so you sort of made my point. Maryland didnt return 22 players and neither did we but the players played hard with many less 'mental' errors than the team displays this year. You believe PP is the UConn football answer?? Why, if I may ask? I must not be that open minded but want to be...

I don't know if he is the answer, but make no mistake, Randy Edsall sure as hell wasn't.

Why do people act like this is an either-or argument? It's far from it. It's entirely possible that they both stink.

Reaction Score
Ill take the stinky coach that wins over the one who doesnt.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Stink is awfully strong for Edsall. It's actually ridiculous, but whatever.

Reaction Score
There is a lack of discipline with this team. LAST YEAR WE GO WHIPPED BY TEMPLE. WE WERE DESTROYED BY LOUISVILLE 26-0. SHUT OUT. A SHUT OUT IS A RARITY IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL. EVEN OKLAHOMA DIDN'T SHUT US OUT. DISCIPLINE?

Being a former Marine, I believe that the results of a platoon for example falls on the platoon leader, regardless of how the private screwed up. As the platoon leader, he is your responsiblity and your job to complete the mission with him in the unit, whether you need to light up his butt or replace him.
EXCUSE ME, AND NOT TO DEMEAN OUR MILITARY, BUT THIS IS A POOR ANALOGY. OUR MILITARY SINCE WORLD WAR II HAS HAD EXPERIENCES OF VICTORY AND FAILURE SIMILAR TO AND WORSE THAN THOSE OF PP AND THE UCONN FOOTBALL TEAM.

Where is the effort on this team that past teams displayed time and time again? TEMPLE, LOUISVILLE AND RUTGERS LAST YEAR. HOW SOON WE FORGET.

I never understood the hire. I thought it was unimaginative and safe. I am not even sure if it is a safe hire at this point. RE LEFT WITHOUT NOTICE ON JANUARY 2, 2011. THERE WASN'T A LOT OF TIME FOR A MEASURED AND DELIBERATE SEARCH FOR HIS REPLACEMENT. PP IS NO BETTER OR WORSE. HE WAS HIRED TO KEEP THE SHIP FROM SINKING, NOT TO CARRY TO GREATER AND GREATER HEIGHTS.

If PP is a better recruiter and coach, how long before we are competitive again? MAYBE MORE THAN ONE SEASON?

What I am I looking for in the last two weeks from the Coach that will give me encouragement for the next 3 years? HAVE YOU NOTICED THE QUARTERBACKS THAT HE INHERITED?

Reaction Score
Ok, first post on this board - posted back on Scout -especially when the corporate bully IMG tried to 'mess' with my employment because I questioned the advertisement practice at the RENT as a consumer and a season ticket holder - Neil Eskin (sp) in the Athletic Department - you are a true gentleman.

Yes, I liked Randy - thats been said. Yes, the way he left could have gone better -he didnt do a good job with that. Yes, he didn't recruit the 4 and 5 star recruits that, according to this board, means BCS talent. What did he do? He won alot of football games at UConn. We will never know but I believe with 'the bare cupboard' Randy would have won more football games this year with non-BCS recruits because the athletes seemed to be much more disciplined.

There is a lack of discipline with this team. There is a lack of concentration. There is a lack of accountability. Some will say dropped passes are on the athlete, agreed, but there is some blame on coaching as well. Being a former Marine, I believe that the results of a platoon for example falls on the platoon leader, regardless of how the private screwed up. As the platoon leader, he is your responsiblity and your job to complete the mission with him in the unit, whether you need to light up his butt or replace him. I have not seen Coach PP make a decision like that all year, QB is perfect example.

Many of you say 'cant wait to see his recruits'. Really? He isnt recruiting on the BCS level you all say Randy couldn't. His 4 star recruit, according to one of his mentors on this board, had the dream to play at UConn. I never heard his dream was to play for Coach P. My guess would be he wanted to play at UConn regardless of the Coach. Did P out recruit another program for this kid? I dont believe so. But it is now irrelevant as he is not eligible. These were the kids Randy wouldnt recruit - whether he was not a chance taker (conservative) or he didnt want to waste resources and time, but he stayed away. I would now assume that #53 ranking would drop as we have only 2 and 3 star recruits. 2 and 3 star recruits that UConn went to a BCS game with, won conference championships, went to ND and won. Where is the effort on this team that past teams displayed time and time again? I do not see it. Oh, and left no QB? Ok, he was able to go to a BCS bowl with Frazier, who every single one of you wanted on the bench. Tyler Lorenzo won a bunch of games and was not known for his throwing - a 4 star recruit according to scout.

I never understood the hire. I thought it was unimaginative and safe. I am not even sure if it is a safe hire at this point. Many of you say wait for his recruits - how long? Do I need to give him 3 years? I have a feeling that it is going to be a long 3 years. I think its important to be competitive right now, especially as we look for a new conference for our program. What am I not seeing from our current coach that gives some of you the impression we have the right man? I ask so I can be open minded and not angry for the final 2 games and try to see the potential in this coach and staff.

These recruiting numbers are from Scout. They make some of the posters points that Randy couldnt recruit at a BCS level because no 4 and 5 start recruits. I went back to 2007 because those were the last recruits who played in a BCS bowl for UConn. If PP is a better recruiter and coach, how long before we are competitive again? How much time do I need to give him to show comparative results that the former head coach was able to produce? Is his recruiting class BCS level? What I am I looking for in the last two weeks from the Coach that will give me encouragement for the next 3 years?

9 3*
6 2*

8 3*
8 2*

6 3*
16 2*

8 3*
15 2*

5 3*
17 2*

2 4* (Miller and Lorenzo)
5 3*
20 2*

3 3*
19 2*
This post is so far off of the mark. The guy from Cincy looks like a genius and then he loses Callaros and loses two in a row and suddenly he can't coach.

Win UCONN football there is always a fine line We are NOT LSU or Alabama. Last year we had good luck and rode it a little. This year not so much.

There is a reason that RE never developed a vertical passing game and yesterday you saw why. I think the coaches have this going in the right direction despite the record. They will have to get the players to fit this scheme or yes it will be a long three years.

Reaction Score
EXCUSE ME, AND NOT TO DEMEAN OUR MILITARY, BUT THIS IS A POOR ANALOGY. OUR MILITARY SINCE WORLD WAR II HAS HAD EXPERIENCES OF VICTORY AND FAILURE SIMILAR TO AND WORSE THAN THOSE OF PP AND THE UCONN FOOTBALL TEAM

GARS - I wast comparing the loss to a military battle rather stating that the 'person' in charge is responisble for subordinates. I would never compare to the two that way, nor did I. PP has some responsibility for HIS players not performing - that was the point.

Reaction Score
The vast majority of posters on this board were absolutely convinced that our offense would be better this season than last simply by removing Randy from the equation. You know who you are and you could at least step up and take credit for those comments.

Additionally, I am now convinced that I attended the wrong game yesterday. Because at the game I attended the QB and OL on the blue team did a pretty good job of getting the ball to where it should have gone and the receivers dropped 9.....count'em.....9 well thrown balls. Johny Mac missed some throws and also made some very good decisions throwing balls away when a play was not there.

Finally, I will say this about yesterday's running game. I think McCombs has done a terrific job this season given his size and youth. With that said, he is completely incapable of breaking a tackle. He goes down almost always on first contact. Randy would never endure a season without a power back as part of the arsenal, especially given the OL that we have. Everybody wants sexxy football. You can't run the ball you better have Peyton Manning back there - and very few college teams do.

I really don't have a good feeling about this coaching crew. Vandy, Iowa State, WMU, Louisville were all winnable games and we did not show up at Pitt. There are plenty of athletes on this team and we have top 20 tallent on both lines. The offense is about the most complex thing I have ever witnessed in college football and a very good defense was simply outcoached at Vandy, WMU and Vandy.

Big boy football. You better figure out ways to win or hope someone wants you in front of a TV camera.

Reaction Score
This post is so far off of the mark. The guy from Cincy looks like a genius and then he loses Callaros and loses two in a row and suddenly he can't coach.

Win UCONN football there is always a fine line We are NOT LSU or Alabama. Last year we had good luck and rode it a little. This year not so much.

There is a reason that RE never developed a vertical passing game and yesterday you saw why. I think the coaches have this going in the right direction despite the record. They will have to get the players to fit this scheme or yes it will be a long three years.

Why did RE never develop a veritcal passing game? Because receivers couldnt catch? Am i missing your point?

Reaction Score

first off, P didn't inherit a BCS bowl team. to say he did would be to imply that Todman, Frazer, Hurd, etc. were still here. Edsall does still have Danny Obrien. we lost some winnable games this year, but just about every game was winnable which tells me we're not that far off. that might not satisfy some, but considering P had to start from scratch in terms of starters at QB, RB, 2 LBs, and we returned a secondary and WRs have really given us little to cheer about i think he's doing a pretty good job. we were kidding ourselves when some of us didn't expect a setback this year when you consider all of the change between seasons. that being said we're still a very young team, and we're improving and we'll bring back almost everybody last year. between that and our apparently improved recruiting i think we have a bright future with P at the helm

Reaction Score
Why did RE never develop a veritcal passing game? Because receivers couldnt catch? Am i missing your point?
Yes, that's what he's saying. And he's right. We never developed a vertical passing game, because RE saw in practice that his players could not throw and catch very well. I remember the WVA game at the Rent I think three years ago. Close game in the first half. We come out throwing in the second half. The play works, wide open receiver, all by himself. Anyone remember that play? Drop. So deflating. That's our passing game. We don't have the players to field a passing game.

Reaction Score
Ill take the stinky coach that wins over the one who doesnt.
??? a stinky coach that wins isn't a stinky coach.... unless you're talking literally about odor

Reaction Score
??? a stinky coach that wins isn't a stinky coach.... unless you're talking literally about odor
never got that close to him to smell !

Reaction Score
Yes, that's what he's saying. And he's right. We never developed a vertical passing game, because RE saw in practice that his players could not throw and catch very well. I remember the WVA game at the Rent I think three years ago. Close game in the first half. We come out throwing in the second half. The play works, wide open receiver, all by himself. Anyone remember that play? Drop. So deflating. That's our passing game. We don't have the players to field a passing game.

Not trying to argue, really, but if the 3 receivers out there yesterday cant catch (dont want to use names), why does the coach keep playing them? Play 3 tight ends and run? Do we have nobody on the roster that can catch a football? We must be the most generous DI school when it comes to offering scholarships to WR's.

So who is going to catch the ball next year? The #230 WR recruit PP got? Or the NR WR who committed? Who is going to throw it to him? The number 67 rated QB - cochran? Or the # 72 rated QB coming out of high school Michael Nebrich or the # 76 rated QB Scott McCummings?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
that being said we're still a very young team, and we're improving and we'll bring back almost everybody last year. between that and our apparently improved recruiting i think we have a bright future with P at the helm

What? The team is improving? The game yesterday was about as bad as I've ever see UConn play. I have very little confidence going forward that UConn will even compete with Rutgers and Cincy to end the season.

What has been 1 thing all year that gives you confidence in Pasqualoni going forward? I have never seen a head coach with worse clock management. I feel like I've seen 100 illegal shifts this year and other bone head penalties. The way he handled the QB situation all season sucks. But, Coach P has what, 4 more 3* recruits than Edsall had coming in? I didn't like the hire at the time, but understood it, giving their limited time frame selecting a coach and keeping the ship from sinking. I know he'll be given 1 more year, but I don't want this bad hire to torpedo our program just like Louisville's or Syracuses did with the wrong man in charge.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
To the OP... yes, we will have to wait till PP is at least 3 years in (so 2 years from now) to see what happens.

To be more precise, nobody on the internet needs to wait at all to voice their opinion. Blast away.

But if you want to see UConn get rid of PP and hire another coach, I don't think any amount of complaining by fans will accelerate that. It's not really up to us to decide, it's up to UConn and any change probably won't happen at least until we get a new AD, and even then I imagine they would give PP the full 3-4 years to make his case. Only chance is if we hire an alpha male type personality who wants to clean house and put his stamp on the place ASAP. Which probably won't happen considering UConn is dominated by two big egos already, Calhoun and Auriemma.

Also I think there is some credibility to the idea that some new assistants will be brought in after the end of the season. How many, we will see. This will give PP the opportunity to make some changes to the staff and just like new recruits we will need at least a year or two to judge the impact on the program.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To the OP... yes, we will have to wait till PP is at least 3 years in (so 2 years from now) to see what happens.

To be more precise, nobody on the internet needs to wait at all to voice their opinion. Blast away.

But if you want to see UConn get rid of PP and hire another coach, I don't think any amount of complaining by fans will accelerate that. It's not really up to us to decide, it's up to UConn and any change probably won't happen at least until we get a new AD, and even then I imagine they would give PP the full 3-4 years to make his case. Only chance is if we hire an alpha male type personality who wants to clean house and put his stamp on the place ASAP. Which probably won't happen considering UConn is dominated by two big egos already, Calhoun and Auriemma.

Also I think there is some credibility to the idea that some new assistants will be brought in after the end of the season. How many, we will see. This will give PP the opportunity to make some changes to the staff and just like new recruits we will need at least a year or two to judge the impact on the program.

Complaining won't matter, but if they don't sell season tickets next year and the Rent looks like it did yesterday next season that will go a long way to determining how much time he gets. That looked like a CUSA game yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom