Coach Tim Jankovich SMU/UConn pregame | The Boneyard

Coach Tim Jankovich SMU/UConn pregame

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Coach Jank's thoughts on tonight's match up with the Huskies...starting at the 7:15 mark.

Reaction Score
Agree with his point on getting teams on the "right" night or "wrong" night. While normally I have said the same I'm starting to think our team is playing such good defense it's hard for them to not be in games. There is still that game coming maybe, "wrong" night against someone but they seem to continue to disprove that and they don't allow that to happen.

I am amazed he said "year 2 under Hurley" is the same because they aren't and he's wrong again with their shooting it real well. Making shots yes, key shots but we haven't had a great night shooting it yet, maybe we're due? And I'm also curious as to why no mention of "defense"?

Last edited:

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Agree with his point on getting teams on the "right" night or "wrong" night. While normally I have said the same I'm starting to think our team is playing such good defense it's hard for them to not be in games. There is still that game coming maybe, "wrong" night against someone but they seem to continue to disprove that and they don't allow that to happen. With the exception of only a couple of games this season, this UConn team has showed up for each game, and competed, which is something we did not see under Kevin Ollie.

I am amazed to say "year 2 under Hurley" they are the same because they aren't and he's wrong again with their shooting it real well. Making shots yes, key shots but we haven't had a great night shooting it yet, maybe we're due? And I'm also curious as to why no mention of "defense"?
Right, teams do have off nights as Jank was saying but I agree with what you're saying; in essence that you can't approach the season, a stretch of games, or even one game, thinking that "we're due an off night" or whatever. With the exception of how travel might affect a team, as Coach Hurley mentioned, there is no good reason not to approach each game with the same level of preparation, focus, and intensity...not to mention toughness and resilience, which once were and are again becoming hallmarks of UConn basketball.

As far as Jank saying the Huskies have been shooting well, yeah you're right, in terms of percentage they haven't over the past couple of games, BUT obviously they have been making baskets at crucial times as you said, and I think if he was looking at highlight reels of Bouknight for example, he might have the impression we're shooting the lights out.

Good point; I'm also surprised Jank didn't mention the Huskies' defense, but I think as far as progress under Hurley in year 2, he's probably too consumed with coaching his own team and preparing for each game to really see it, but it's pretty darn obvious.

Last edited:

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Also, I think to some extent shooting percentage is overrated. Great defense offsets less than stellar shooting because at the end of the day you only need to score more points than the other team. Mind you that's not an excuse for poor shooting, and that's an area we obviously need to improve in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There was a meme of sorts when football was doing well. After teams with more established history lost to us there would be immediate talk of firing their coaches. It went something like "The University of Connecticut, making teams fire their coach since 2000." I'd be perfectly okay with a new one "Danny Hurley and the University of Connecticut Huskies catching teams on their off night since 2020."

Reaction Score
Also, I think to some extent shooting percentage is overrated. Great defense offsets less than stellar shooting because at the end of the day you only need to score more points than the other team. Mind you that's not an excuse for poor shooting, and that's an area we obviously need to improve in.
Pretty hard to overrate shooting %.

Reaction Score
Butch:
That's how you're gonna beat 'em, Butch. They keep underestimating you.

Reaction Score
This guy never stopped moving the whole interview, lol.

He also said we were just about the same as last year. Negative ghost rider. I hope we pull out a win tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom