Coach Sue Bird | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach Sue Bird

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If your "vision" comes to fruition, I'll box up my turban and cape and mail then to you. You'll deserve to ware them more than me. You went way way out there for THAT one. :eek:

To be very honest, I really do not think it is such a stretch and imho, UConn would be nuts not to at least think about it. Who else could really follow Geno's Legacy and not be overwhelmed by it? Who else could recruit in this new age of player at the highest levels with competitors that have a lot of advantages Storrs does not have? and I actually think Geno would be 1000% behind such a transition if it were possible.

Anyhow, I do not think this is a popular topic in general so I will slink away. :oops:

Reaction Score
I am with those who think that DT would be the best selection for coach after Geno. I like the fact that she has that inner quality like Chesty Puller and will go for the excellence that has been and is demanded by the current coaching staff. Sue Bird would be the ultimate Chris Daley replacement IMO. The combination of DT and SB would create many National Championship opportunities in the future and recruiting would be a cinch. But this is all my own wishful thinking.

Reaction Score
Why would a sensible AD select a person who has never coached a day in her life as the head coach of a program like UCONN. I love Sue but seriously? She has never recruited a player or run a team of players or assistant coaches. When Geno and CD retire from UCONN the HC job should go to someone who has been there or a top notch coach from somewhere else. I love Sue Bird but no experiment coaches please.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Megan and Sue are different personality types. Sue is far more reserved. But they appreciate the qualities in each other.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Why would a sensible AD select a person who has never coached a day in her life as the head coach of a program like UCONN. I love Sue but seriously? She has never recruited a player or run a team of players or assistant coaches. When Geno and CD retire from UCONN the HC job should go to someone who has been there or a top notch coach from somewhere else. I love Sue Bird but no experiment coaches please.
I respectfully disagree. I'd take Sue in a heartbeat if she really wanted to do it. She has the intelligence, speaking ability, playing experience, and readability. She's one of the smartest people in basketball.

Reaction Score
I can think of a few people who have said "No Way" before saying"Yes"!

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. I'd take Sue in a heartbeat if she really wanted to do it. She has the intelligence, speaking ability, playing experience, and readability. She's one of the smartest people in basketball.

Just like to point out that the hardest and most difficult job of a HC is to recruit players. Of course the HC has to do lots of other things too, like winning games. I don't know if SB has shown she can recruit and be a HC. I do agree SB is everything you said she is.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I often think about who will replace Geno when he does retire. That will happen at some point. I still believe that it will be a former UConn player of his. There are many great candidates.

Only my opinion here but I don't think that Shea will take the job. She and her hubby have family. Rebecca would be the perfect choice and she could have her daughter on the team. But, she has a great gig at ESPN. Jenn would be the most qualified and she would not hesitate to say yes.

For me though, I am a Sue Bird fan. I believe that her legacy would make it work as the head coach at UConn.

That’s a discussion that will get a lot of exercise. One I hope we won’t have for a while. Sue will no doubt be a strong candidate in the BY, whether she’s thrown her hat in the ring or not. There will be a few viable choices to choose from. Nothing is absolute. I’m guessing that most here would support Sue to replace Geno. I know there will be some posters that would not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can think of a few people who have said "No Way" before saying"Yes"!
William Tecumseh Sherman:

"If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom