Coach P | The Boneyard

Coach P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched Coach P's press conference on SNY yesterday, first one in a while. I thought that he was great. He has a very good energy level and answered questions directly and succinctly. He refers to the reporters by their first names and talks like someone who is from CT and is in this for the long haul. It is no wonder that area football coaches like him and respect him. Much as I thought that he was a good coach, I always felt like Randy had a certain level of phoniness about him.

I think Coach P is going to get it done. He seems to have a good game plan with respect to offensive and defensive schemes - more sophisticated than what Randy was running and this will pay dividends down the line as the players get more comfortable.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The only real knock I have in regards to P is that it appears he tried to do too much too quickly (on both sides of the ball) and if the transition to more elaborate offensive and defensive schemes was done a bit more slowly we would have three more wins at the moment.

Reaction Score
That is a fair point, but I am not enough of a football expert to know if you can transition a college team more slowly than he did.

I think Vandy is better than most people give it credit for - it is an SEC team for God's sake! I think their talent level is probably even with UConn's. Iowa State and Western Michigan were tough losses at home where having a proven quarterback like Endres and running back like Frey might have made the difference.

Reaction Score
The only real knock I have in regards to P is that it appears he tried to do too much too quickly (on both sides of the ball) and if the transition to more elaborate offensive and defensive schemes was done a bit more slowly we would have three more wins at the moment.

plus one.

As for the OP, I agree with most of that, but no one has ever won a game in a press conference. I'll judge him by how he does on the field. I'm sure he gives a better presser than his predecesser, but so what.

Reaction Score
plus one.

As for the OP, I agree with most of that, but no one has ever won a game in a press conference. I'll judge him by how he does on the field. I'm sure he gives a better presser than his predecesser, but so what.

How a coach handles himself in a press conference may not win or lose games ... but it might help or hurt recruiting. For many of us the only time we hear a coach is during a press conference. And I would think that some recruits, or parents of recruits, base some of their initial opinions of a program from a coach's press conference.

Reaction Score
Even Randy Edsall's staunchest supporters knew he stunk at giving press conferences. It's great that PP is better, but really, almost anyone would have been.

What remains to be seen is if PP can match Edsall's on field success. The win over USF felt an awful lot like an Edsall style victory. Here's to another at Pitt!

Reaction Score

I was really hoping, with his experience, he would realize that these players would not be able to absorb DeLeone's offense immediately. Especially with all of the inexperience. I would have rather seen them slowly build the playbook. Emphasize execution of the installed packages, and when the O has a firm grasp, add more wrinkles.

I will say, though, it looks like the offense is getting an identity. Execution hasn't been great, but now it is clear what DeLeone wants to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom