Coach P and K - no love lost for Md | The Boneyard

Coach P and K - no love lost for Md

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
We don’t look at rivalries. We look at each opponent the same. I’ve said that every time I’ve come here. I have a great deal of respect for Maryland. If it was such a rivalry they’d still be in the ACC. Obviously they don’t think it’s that important, or they wouldn’t be in the Big Ten. I respect their basketball program and the job their coaches have done and their players have done over the years. We’ve had some great games with them, but we have great games against a lot of people. A lot of people want to beat us, and they’re one of them.

Substitute ND for Maryland and I could imagine Geno making the same comment.

Reaction Score
We don’t look at rivalries. We look at each opponent the same. I’ve said that every time I’ve come here. I have a great deal of respect for Maryland. If it was such a rivalry they’d still be in the ACC. Obviously they don’t think it’s that important, or they wouldn’t be in the Big Ten. I respect their basketball program and the job their coaches have done and their players have done over the years. We’ve had some great games with them, but we have great games against a lot of people. A lot of people want to beat us, and they’re one of them.

“What would all these venues do without Duke basketball? Sell fewer tickets, have less to dream about, & just melt away into oblivion. GoDuke.”

Has she lost her mind? She is talking about women's basketball here and Duke is not that big of a draw. Duke's best accomplishments came before she even coached there, so what is she talking about? UConn is a big draw, Baylor with Griner is a big draw, Tennessee is a big draw they really travel well, and ND is a big draw with Diggins. Duke talking about less to dream about and melting away into oblivion is funny.

Top dog vs underdog. Take the top dog status any day. Got to bring home a national title or a few to truly be top dog. It's concrete. #Real

She doesn't even have a national title so why is she reffering herself as a top dog? These comments right after she tried to embarrass Dennis Wolff pressing up 40 tell me enough about this lady. Gail was 10x the coach and person.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Even if K said this, he is the last one in America to get the news that it's about football and money. Both of which are much better in the Big 10. A saving grace of UConn not being in the ACC is dealing with sanctimonious pricks like K and the rest of Tobacco Road.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Couple of things:

Number one: is Maryland officially in the Big 10...last I heard they were involved in some sort of legal action with the ACC to see if they could lessen their financial obligation for leaving the ACC?

Number two: while Coach P hasn't won a national championship she was the national runner-up to Baylor in 2005 when she was up at Michigan State University. That team she had was pretty darn good that year.

Number three: we are talking about Brenda Freese here...I don't think there are too many coaches who have Brenda high on their favorites list.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
“What would all these venues do without Duke basketball? Sell fewer tickets, have less to dream about, & just melt away into oblivion. GoDuke.”

Has she lost her mind? She is talking about women's basketball here and Duke is not that big of a draw. Duke's best accomplishments came before she even coached there, so what is she talking about? UConn is a big draw, Baylor with Griner is a big draw, Tennessee is a big draw they really travel well, and ND is a big draw with Diggins. Duke talking about less to dream about and melting away into oblivion is funny.

Top dog vs underdog. Take the top dog status any day. Got to bring home a national title or a few to truly be top dog. It's concrete. #Real

She doesn't even have a national title so why is she reffering herself as a top dog? These comments right after she tried to embarrass Dennis Wolff pressing up 40 tell me enough about this lady. Gail was 10x the coach and person.

Calm-Down-Bro.jpg

Coach P was talking about the Duke men's program not the women's program. Duke is a top draw (Men's) .... Miami's highest attended game was when they played Duke... same with Wake Forest, Maryland, and a few others. Maryland was the underdog in the game this past saturday.... Duke was the #1 or #2 team in the country (depending on which poll) Top Dog vs Underdog.. Anyway.... I assume you wont be inviting Coach P over for a pleasant Sunday brunch anytime soon. :p

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Even if K said this, he is the last one in America to get the news that it's about football and money. Both of which are much better in the Big 10. A saving grace of UConn not being in the ACC is dealing with sanctimonious pricks like K and the rest of Tobacco Road.

saddudewalking.gif

I dont think we are that bad here on Tobacco Road :(

Reaction Score
View attachment 2330

Coach P was talking about the Duke men's program not the women's program. Duke is a top draw (Men's) .... Miami's highest attended game was when they played Duke... same with Wake Forest, Maryland, and a few others. Maryland was the underdog in the game this past saturday.... Duke was the #1 or #2 team in the country (depending on which poll) Top Dog vs Underdog.. Anyway.... I assume you wont be inviting Coach P over for a pleasant Sunday brunch anytime soon. :p

Just wondering, are you fine with her comments? Her comments after trying to embarress Dennis who's daughter played at UConn was bad. She said this isn't high school when asked why she pressed up 40 with starters in under 2 minutes left. No one said its HS! And on Twitter after you beat UNC, some fan tweeted at her this is the difference between talent and talent with coaching, which is obviously a Duke fan's shot at Sylvia Hatchell implying they have talent but no coaching. I might agree but I am a FAN on a MESSAGE BOARD, that type of stuff to put on Twitter is completely disrespectful and unprofessional of a coach. Lastly, some of these tweets being discussed on this board have been deleted, so she must have realized after the fact it wasn't good to post. If it was all good and fine why didn't see keep it up on her site?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
saddudewalking.gif

I dont think we are that bad here on Tobacco Road :(
Swofford has destroyed the BE which directly threatens the future of UConn athletics, all while lecturing the country about academics and collegiality. No thanks, I hope the Big 10 tears you apart.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. A saving grace of UConn not being in the ACC is dealing with sanctimonious pricks like K and the rest of Tobacco Road.
Are you kidding me giving them a twice annual is one of the main draws, well aside from reveue and stability.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Duke WBB has never won a national championship and has a rep for choking in big games that extends before Coach P arrived. This includes the 2006 national championship game. Who did they lose to that night? Oh yeah, it was Maryland. So until Duke WBB wins a championship, I think P's comments are not credible or appropriate. Coach K does have the cred to say what he said, and I actually do not have an issue with what he said at all. However, even if Laettner missed that shot (you know which one), laettner still offered up plenty of reasons to begin an eternal dislike of Duke.

P.S. I know this forum doesn't have a lot of love for Frese, but if I ever need to outsource yelling at someone, I am hiring her. She is intense. Her team has been hit pretty hard with injuries this year. All things considered, she is doing a great job. IMHO.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Brenda never gets a pass here after the recruiting coo she pulled up with Harper, Langhorne and Doron...

Reaction Score
Couple of things:

Number one: is Maryland officially in the Big 10...last I heard they were involved in some sort of legal action with the ACC to see if they could lessen their financial obligation for leaving the ACC?
The legal battle will only dictate when Maryland gets into the Big 10 and how much of their exit fee they have to pay. For all intents and purposes, Maryland is officially in the Big 10.

I have a ton of respect for Coach K, but honestly, boohoo. The ACC is getting a small taste of its own medicine (i.e. what it did to the Big East) - things will only get uglier for that conference as it continues to get picked apart over the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom