Coach K stepping down with US Nat'l Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach K stepping down with US Nat'l Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think it is pretty clear that folks are neglecting the obvious choice for the job, Geno Auriemma.

caw

Reaction Score
As far as NBA coaches I would have also considered Kerr, or the Atl coach whose name I can't think of right now (Bud...) they both run systems that should work internationally and both are young.

I'm not sure I would even look at a college coach. KO excluded (bc of bias) I don't think a single college coach has the right combination of youth and basketball knowledge to do it. NBA coaches these days are just a much better pool. Too many young coaches succeed at the college game based on a gimmick defense, or being recruiting savant. The best young college coaches have left for the NBA recently in Donovan, Hoiberg and Stevens.

Reaction Score
As far as NBA coaches I would have also considered Kerr, or the Atl coach whose name I can't think of right now (Bud...) they both run systems that should work internationally and both are young.

I'm not sure I would even look at a college coach. KO excluded (bc of bias) I don't think a single college coach has the right combination of youth and basketball knowledge to do it. NBA coaches these days are just a much better pool. Too many young coaches succeed at the college game based on a gimmick defense, or being recruiting savant. The best young college coaches have left for the NBA recently in Donovan, Hoiberg and Stevens.
So where does KO fit in with all that as a candidate

caw

Reaction Score
So where does KO fit in with all that as a candidate

I'd put him pretty high among college coaches (probably top five) but below a number of NBA coaches, but as noted I'm biased towards KO. I do believe he relates really well to players, knows how to adjust in game and brings passion to the game.

He's a bit hard to judge objectively. I've been a big proponent of KO since his hire. However, he is one of only a few active NC winning NCAA coaches. The list is what: K, Cal, Williams, Pitino, Boeheim, Fisher, Brown, Izzo, Smith and Self? Of that list you would have to cross off Boeheim, K, Brown and Fisher due to age. Pitino and Williams are in the middle of scandal. Smith has fallen off since his win.

So that leaves Self, Cal, Izzo. Are there any other young college coaches you would even consider? I would include Miller. Smart would not be on my list. So my top five would be Cal, Self, Izzo, Miller and Ollie in some order amongst college coaches.

I think you could argue Ollie being #1 or #2 on that list mainly due to the respect NBA guys give him but really you have to see how he does this year. His first two years were phenomenal but last year hurt quite a bit if you are ranking just those five guys. I think it's pretty easy to say last years team was the least talented of his first three teams and it appears he has bounced back via recruiting.

Would you put any other college coach above those five based on coaching ability, rep among NBA players and being young enough? I wouldn't. NBA coaches included though, that's a much larger list. SVG, Kerr, Bud, Donovan, Hoiberg, Stevens would all be in the mix.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting to see if Brad Stevens ever gets a look. Reports are that he is interested. But pop made too much sense and USA basketball won't miss a beat after coach k steps down.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting to see if Brad Stevens ever gets a look. Reports are that he is interested. But pop made too much sense and USA basketball won't miss a beat after coach k steps down.
A lot of the readings I did mentioned Stevens as a great fit. I could definitely see him following Pop in 2020. He's still very young but is a good coach. Would love to see KO get a look somewhere down the road but that is also likely a while off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom