Coach K stepping down with US Nat'l Team | The Boneyard

Coach K stepping down with US Nat'l Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Surprised this hasn't been a thread yet. With K getting older, I think this is a way for him to slowly start weaning himself off of the game. He should be out at Duke by 2020, IMO. Anyways, with such a prestigious job opening up, my question is: can, or should, KO be considered?

He's young, and has amazing respect from the most important players in the world. He's clearly got an amazing basketball mind influenced by a bevy of the time's best basketball coaches. My only reservation is that he's only been a basketball head coach for 3+ years, and therefore lacks considerably less experience than anyone else who would be considered. Still, it would be awesome to see KO get the gig. As long as it's not Calipari, I don't think I'll be overly concerned with who succeeds K.

Reaction Score
Surprised this hasn't been a thread yet. With K getting older, I think this is a way for him to slowly start weaning himself off of the game. He should be out at Duke by 2020, IMO. Anyways, with such a prestigious job opening up, my question is: can, or should, KO be considered?

He's young, and has amazing respect from the most important players in the world. He's clearly got an amazing basketball mind influenced by a bevy of the time's best basketball coaches. My only reservation is that he's only been a basketball head coach for 3+ years, and therefore lacks considerably less experience than anyone else who would be considered. Still, it would be awesome to see KO get the gig. As long as it's not Calipari, I don't think I'll be overly concerned with who succeeds K.

I don't see any chance KO will be considered. That's not a knock on him, just that they will be looking for someone with more experience.

If Popovich was younger I would say he is a shoe-in, but he will be 71 by the time the 2020 Olympics roll around. I don't think he is a viable candidate.

Maybe Doc Rivers. Brad Stevens could be a dark horse. As awful as it would be Calipari might be considered as a real candidate.

Reaction Score
I don't see any chance KO will be considered. That's not a knock on him, just that they will be looking for someone with more experience.

If Popovich was younger I would say he is a shoe-in, but he will be 71 by the time the 2020 Olympics roll around. I don't think he is a viable candidate.

Maybe Doc Rivers. Brad Stevens could be a dark horse. As awful as it would be Calipari might be considered as a real candidate.

Although this makes my stomach turn, I think UConNick was pondering whether KO could or should be considered for the duke position when ratface steps down there, not whether KO would be considered as Coach of the USA National Team.

Reaction Score
NOOOOOO YOURE DEAD WRONG!!!!! I meant for the US position you idiot!

Are you kidding me? Reading comprehension is elementary school stuff, man.

Reaction Score

I don't think it'll be boehiem because he's also close to the end. I could definitely see Sean Miller, though. Did Donovan have to leave the program after he took an NBA job? If not, I could see him as well. If they want to leave the family there's no question there are a multitude of people qualified more than KO. Izzo would top that list for me.

Reaction Score

I don't see KO being considered as the HC of the USA squad this early in his career, but I don't see why he wouldn't be a good candidate to be an assistant on the staff if he is interested. He is a respected guy among most coaching ranks and already has noted relationships with NBA stars such as Durant and LeBron.

Reaction Score

lol, jeez.

Reaction Score

Lighten up, Francis.

Reading comprehension is not the problem. Your lack of understanding of writing your thoughts in a clear manner using the English language is the problem.

"He should be out at Duke by 2020, IMO. Anyways, with such a prestigious job opening up, my question is: can, or should, KO be considered?"

When you pose a question immediately preceded by a statement, the reader can only assume your question was directly related to that statement.

Reaction Score
Lighten up, Francis.

Reading comprehension is not the problem. Your lack of understanding of writing your thoughts in a clear manner using the English language is the problem.

"He should be out at Duke by 2020, IMO. Anyways, with such a prestigious job opening up, my question is: can, or should, KO be considered?"

When you pose a question immediately preceded by a statement, the reader can only assume your question was directly related to that statement.
Not to defend the slightly over the top response but look at the title of the thread.... it was pretty clear what he was talking about.

Reaction Score
Not to defend the slightly over the top response but look at the title of the thread.... it was pretty clear what he was talking about.

In any case, it's a fairly absurd (and that is being generous here) to even entertain the thought that KO would even make a top 25 list of potential candidates for head coach of the National Team. I am sorry I even opened this thread, and even more sorry that I contributed.

Reaction Score
Look man I just thought it was an interesting idea. And I'll apologize for the over the top response, but I thought it was pretty clear. Plus, I hate more than anything having my fandom questioned (which is why I'll blow a gasket if I don't get the top dog thing). That was why my response was so emotionally charged. We're all friends here, so I'll put it away if you will.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
In any case, it's a fairly absurd (and that is being generous here) to even entertain the thought that KO would even make a top 25 list of potential candidates for head coach of the National Team. I am sorry I even opened this thread, and even more sorry that I contributed.
Look man I just thought it was an interesting idea. And I'll apologize for the over the top response, but I thought it was pretty clear. Plus, I hate more than anything having my fandom questioned (which is why I'll blow a gasket if I don't get the top dog thing). That was why my response was so emotionally charged. We're all friends here, so I'll put it away if you will.
No idea is absurd to the person offering the idea. Just disagree with it and move on or debate it. And yes Nick over reacted to your statement TX, he was taken to task for doing so, he recognized he was wrong and apologized.

I'm not sorry you posted TX! In a perfect world I could do without all the dismissal and flaming. But this isn't a perfect world and even with the warts, the overall direction of the thread demonstrated a lot of maturity imo.

Reaction Score
I think Kerr would be a viable option (assuming it leaves the USA Basketball family)

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Coach K will be done in 2 years. 2020? No way he coaches until he's 74. How many college basketball coaches older than 70 do you know?

Reaction Score

Yeah good move, because as someone just reading this topic, it was not clear at all.

The subject line doesn't say, "would KO be considered for USA coach?" I was under the same impression because you went from mentioning when K would be out at Duke to then immediately asking if KO would be considered for such a prestigious job. I was sitting here reading it like "is this guy kidding me!?!? Who cares if they consider him for Duke head coaching job, because if he takes it he will never be forgiven by his UConn faithful!

I'm much more calm and collected now that I know you mean the USA job. While I know there are a lot of coaches out there, I'm kind of shocked the consensus is that KO would be lucky to be considered. I think with them having K and Boeheim on the staff too, that they held the college coaches in high regard. Since Ollie seems to have such a good rapport with the young guys, and I only see his reputation growing positively, I would think he would be considered. Young coach, top of his game, NBA names love and know him, what's not to like from the team USA standpoint? Experience only, and we know he is going to get more and more experience, he coaches an NBA 'style' and so on... hes a shoe in!

Reaction Score

Chill man, it's not like dook isn't a prestigious gig or they wouldn't try and snatch KO. Anyway I thought TXHusky's post was humorous and witty, its called Boneyard retorting.

The season hasn't even started, best to prepare yourself cuz this type of stuff hasn't even begun. No one is immune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom