Coach K continues to lobby for UConn | The Boneyard

Coach K continues to lobby for UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"My feeling is we should add two more,” Krzyzewski said. “And then split up into two eight-team divisions.”

To me –and again, I’m not the one making decisions –but it seems natural that we go to 16,” Krzyzewski said. “And I would hope that we would get the two new members from this time zone, along the Atlantic coast. And that they fit in not just sports-wise, but academically with the standards that our conference has.”

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20110929/SPORTS03/309299925/1085/SPORTS03

The AD of Duke sits on the expansion committee.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
He's virtually begging to add us. The pro-UConn and anti-UConn factions in the ACC are probably both powerful. We have to hope the pro-faction (led by Duke, UMD, the big east schools and probably UNC) win out.

Again, it's all about Notre Dame. FSU, Clemson, etc will let us in if the Irish come on over as well. If not, they will be swing votes. Miami and BC won't block us out by themselves.

Reaction Score
There are only two options that fit K's criteria Rutgers and UConn. That is why we cannot let Villanova upgrade or they could get in the mix with BC's support.

Reaction Score
There are only two options that fit K's criteria Rutgers and UConn. That is why we cannot let Villanova upgrade or they could get in the mix with BC's support.

As much as that would make no sense I think BC is that spiteful that they would lobby for it and try to convince everyone that they already deliver the New England market.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

Reaction Score
I just got a glimpse of the soccer stadium Nova proposed using. That will not cut it.

Reaction Score
He may not be the one making the decisions, but I'm sure his opinion is respected, especially with Duke's AD.

Reaction Score
It's pretty clear what K. wants. He wants the original ACC to take on the Big East. The only question I have is that with the divisions set up like that, they may go to round robin and then only four games against the other division.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind that at all.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
One thing I don't understand: All the rumors say if ND joins, we'll be the tag along. However, aren't new members voted on independently? It's not a package deal as far as I understand. You don't vote on ND+UConn. You vote on Notre Dame, and then you vote on UConn. Now wouldn't it be conceivable they could all vote "yes" on ND then "no" on UConn? Just because ND says "we want in," I'm not sure the Dukes, NCs, MDs, etc can say to the FSUs and BCUs "we delivered ND, now vote for UConn too."

In short, while we might not be considered for ACC membership w/o a commitment by ND, ND isn't our ticket "into" the ACC. They're our ticket to serious consideration. UConn will have to be its own ticket. Even if ND were to commit to the ACC, nothing as far as UConn goes is foregone.

Reaction Score
One thing I don't understand: All the rumors say if ND joins, we'll be the tag along. However, aren't new members voted on independently? It's not a package deal as far as I understand. You don't vote on ND+UConn. You vote on Notre Dame, and then you vote on UConn. Now wouldn't it be conceivable they could all vote "yes" on ND then "no" on UConn? Just because ND says "we want in," I'm not sure the Dukes, NCs, MDs, etc can say to the FSUs and BCUs "we delivered ND, now vote for UConn too."

In short, while we might not be considered for ACC membership w/o a commitment by ND, ND isn't our ticket "into" the ACC. They're our ticket to serious consideration. UConn will have to be its own ticket. Even if ND were to commit to the ACC, nothing as far as UConn goes is foregone.

If you're invited to apply, you're in. No league other than the Big10 holds grudges. Usually, Presidents like to be unanimous on these things. As far as I know, only the Big10 registers NO votes. Happened with Penn State, happened with Nebraska.

Reaction Score
i really would hate it if we had to play unc/duke in some sort of neutral site.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
If you're invited to apply, you're in. No league other than the Big10 holds grudges. Usually, Presidents like to be unanimous on these things. As far as I know, only the Big10 registers NO votes. Happened with Penn State, happened with Nebraska.

Ah, that's right. I forgot the whole if you apply, you're in, thing. Apparently WVU did too...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ah, that's right. I forgot the whole if you apply, you're in, thing. Apparently WVU did too...
As has ECU, plenty of times.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
What's that say for ECU? Constant rejection by a conference whose schools are constantly rejecting it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think he means if you apply you got word that you are in. You don't apply until it is a given. WVU may have solicited the SEC but not formally applied. There are so many stories out in public and most people are writing things as if they had interviewed conference leaders. Of course upstater could be inaccurate as well. But I think he makes sense on this point.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
ND would probably insist on naming #16. I would hope our overall excellence would trump the opportunity to play at the Meadowlands.

Reaction Score
If Maryland plays nice, you potentially have two perfect geographic divisions in the ACC. This makes so much sense, in so many ways - travel, TV Markets, rivalries, academics, etc. I guess its all about splitting the pie 16 ways vs 14. ESPN would have to cough-up an extra 35 Million per year for RU and UConn, not sure if that makes sense for them.

ACC North: BC, UConn, SU, Pitt, RU, UMD, UVA, VT
ACC South: Duke, Wake, UNC, NCST, Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami

ctchamps

Reaction Score
ND would probably insist on naming #16. I would hope our overall excellence would trump the opportunity to play at the Meadowlands.
I see the barrier to UConn is mostly the dichotomy that exists between bb centric ACC schools and football centric ACC schools. I don't see this as an issue by BC over past slights. Naturally I'm guessing. But if I'm correct, ND coming into the conference satisfies the football part of the equation, and as a compromise Duke and UNC get the bb university they want which is UConn. And I doubt President Herbst will sell UConn's soul in the type of arena arrangements UConn would make that would be unfavorable to the school. She knows how to compromise, but isn't afraid to stand up for what is right.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of Duke people that don't want UConn in the ACC. Some of their fans on other boards have said that UConn would never be in the ACC.

Theres a small part of me that believes Duke is using Coach K politically to make it seem like it wants UConn in the ACC but in reality I think Duke is trying to keep UConn out.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
A lot simpler explanation is that Coach K actually does want UConn in the conference.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of Duke people that don't want UConn in the ACC. Some of their fans on other boards have said that UConn would never be in the ACC.

Theres a small part of me that believes Duke is using Coach K politically to make it seem like it wants UConn in the ACC but in reality I think Duke is trying to keep UConn out.
Duke message board posters have as much influence on what Duke does as we do.

Reaction Score

no comprendo.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If Maryland plays nice, you potentially have two perfect geographic divisions in the ACC. This makes so much sense, in so many ways - travel, TV Markets, rivalries, academics, etc. I guess its all about splitting the pie 16 ways vs 14. ESPN would have to cough-up an extra 35 Million per year for RU and UConn, not sure if that makes sense for them.

ACC North: BC, UConn, SU, Pitt, RU, UMD, UVA, VT
ACC South: Duke, Wake, UNC, NCST, Clemson, GT, FSU, Miami

I'm not sure this will help UConn's football recruitment as much as some other possible configurations, but it doesn't hurt it either. And since there are possible outcomes that can end up destroying UConn's football program I see the University accepting an ACC invitation if offered. I'm over the pain of the BE break up from a bb perspective. And this configuration keeps UConn in a great situation bb wise. I'll just have to get over my nausea every time I hear all the ACC history.

And who knows. There is strong fan support for professional football in the NE. If two or more schools in the ACC North (should this outcome end up being more than theory) develop programs perennially in the top thirty the fans will support NE college football. A big if given that football is harder than bb to break into the top spots. But it is not unheard of.

Stabilization is the most important thing for UConn. My big concern remains that the ACC is not a stable conference if UConn and Rutgers are admitted and not UConn and ND. Which is why my first preference is an offer from the B!G for UConn. I like the arrangement of the ACC conference you propose more than any arrangement UConn would find itself in the B!G. But stability is more important in my mind than anything else including more natural rivalries.

What I think is best is irrelevant because the B!G doesn't appear to be making any moves. And UConn can't afford to wait on the B!G. Nor is UConn in the position to go to the B!G if they get an ACC offer and try to put pressure on the B!G to take them. That could backfire by word getting back to the ACC and cause the ACC to withdraw its proposal. So given the B!G's apparent lack of desire to get involved with this new configuration process, UConn's best option is to align itself with the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom