Coach Holly Using New Training Techniques to Get Vols ready | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach Holly Using New Training Techniques to Get Vols ready

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Those 2 road wins were great yes, and the Notre Dame win good as well..... I do not see momentum going your way, though, on the basis of just those....

Trying to be a non-partial observer, Mercedes just didn't show up for several games, and I do not know why. (Felt badly for her the first season, when she had the bad foot problems).... Diamond ..... for my money..... still had too many turnovers..... I do not subscribe to the thought process that..... "she thinks she has to do it all herself".... that is what teammates are for. and do not subscribe to the thinking either that "she is injured and still is not 100%"..... if that is the case she should not be playing.....

Nared..... wow her game is really good..... and she is seemingly always putting forth a good effort.

Where did the days go when Pat would get in their faces and challenge them to do things of which they thought they were not capable
The win at home against Stanford also. A few things Mercedes Russell was Tennessee's second-leading scorer at 16.1 per game and leading rebounder at 9.7 per contest, which was tied for the fourth highest single-season average in Lady Vol history with Glory Johnson. Her numbers are the best by a true center at UT since Daedra Charles (17.3/9.2) in 1990-91.
  • She is the SEC leader in double-doubles this season with 19, a total that ranks as the most ever by a Lady Vol junior, and scored in double figures in 30 of 32 games, including five with 20 or more points.
  • Scored 15+ points in 22 games this year after scoring 15+ in only four games over her first two years.
  • Notched 151 career blocks in her career, recently passing Tamika Catchings (136) for seventh on the school's all-time career blocks list against Auburn.
  • Also Mercedes was getting pounded inside. Diamond the turnover were fewer at the end of the year. DeShields led Tennessee and ranked fifth in the SEC in scoring at 17.4 points per game. That average is the highest by a Lady Vol since Candace Parker put up 21.3 per game in 2007-08.
  • She also ranks ninth in the league in assists (3.8 apg.), 10th in free throw percentage (.791), 12th in field goal percentage (.423) and blocked shots (1.0 bpg.), and tied for 16th in rebounding (6.4). Jamie yes her game really improved last year. Enjoyed her most productive season as a Lady Vol, scoring in double figures on 26 occasions and eclipsing the 20-point margin eight times, while also leading UT in scoring in 10 games on the season. If the freshman are as good as advertised. Then this team can be really good. I have heard Davis is turning heads so far.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, the LVs lost two players to transfer this summer. One was forced out for behavioral problems, including initiating a fight with a teammate. The response of certain team members to the fight (making a video, some reports of cheering) is hardly the way a coach would expect a team to behave in such circumstances. The other transfer reportedly left because of a personality conflict with a teammate. Holly has to do something so a team-building approach with a snappy label is something, I suppose. She might also want to ask whether she and her coaches are looking for the right qualities during the recruiting process.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
And when all was said and done, the team lost in the first round of the SEC tournament to Alabama and in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament to Louisville. It is post-season play that defines a season and last season's Lady Vol team performed dreadfully.
I understand that.

Reaction Score
The win at home against Stanford also. A few things Mercedes Russell was Tennessee's second-leading scorer at 16.1 per game and leading rebounder at 9.7 per contest, which was tied for the fourth highest single-season average in Lady Vol history with Glory Johnson. Her numbers are the best by a true center at UT since Daedra Charles (17.3/9.2) in 1990-91.
  • She is the SEC leader in double-doubles this season with 19, a total that ranks as the most ever by a Lady Vol junior, and scored in double figures in 30 of 32 games, including five with 20 or more points.
  • Scored 15+ points in 22 games this year after scoring 15+ in only four games over her first two years.
  • Notched 151 career blocks in her career, recently passing Tamika Catchings (136) for seventh on the school's all-time career blocks list against Auburn.
  • Also Mercedes was getting pounded inside. Diamond the turnover were fewer at the end of the year. DeShields led Tennessee and ranked fifth in the SEC in scoring at 17.4 points per game. That average is the highest by a Lady Vol since Candace Parker put up 21.3 per game in 2007-08.
  • She also ranks ninth in the league in assists (3.8 apg.), 10th in free throw percentage (.791), 12th in field goal percentage (.423) and blocked shots (1.0 bpg.), and tied for 16th in rebounding (6.4). Jamie yes her game really improved last year. Enjoyed her most productive season as a Lady Vol, scoring in double figures on 26 occasions and eclipsing the 20-point margin eight times, while also leading UT in scoring in 10 games on the season. If the freshman are as good as advertised. Then this team can be really good. I have heard Davis is turning heads so far.
stwain - yes your figures are fact..... and these gals are talented it is true..... I just have seen a lot of Tenn games in their tenure..... as SEC network puts a lot of them on.....
I just do not believe they are the second coming...... let's see how they do this year.... I am sure lot of reason they came3 back is to brand their legacy at TBA..... hope for your sake and LV fans that they have a good year.....

Wow I remember Catchings..... she was a real player.,.... difficult matchup for all she played against......

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
stwain - yes your figures are fact..... and these gals are talented it is true..... I just have seen a lot of Tenn games in their tenure..... as SEC network puts a lot of them on.....
I just do not believe they are the second coming. let's see how they do this year.... I am sure lot of reason they came3 back is to brand their legacy at TBA..... hope for your sake and LV fans that they have a good year.....

Wow I remember Catchings..... she was a real player.,.... difficult matchup for all she played against.
Agreed.

Reaction Score
The three seniors have to communicate, Diamond to pass when triple teamed, Mercedes to decide she's going to the hole every game and Nared to stay focused, because, without their commitment to excellence, and setting the example, the rest of the team will flounder. When the boneyard lines up to give Holly a pep talk, you know the Vols have a long way to go.

Reaction Score
When push comes to shove (not a Cooper analogy) Holly Warlick and her assistants are still coaching and controlling the team. So they can introduce any new potion to the mix but in the heat of battle they will revert to what they've been doing the past 3-4 years and that's playing NO team BB, NO knowledge of defensive principles, and usually one-on-one offensive BB!
Whatever skill set that this so-called #1 recruiting class brings to Knoxville, by mid-season they'll fit right in with the present members of the team losing the potential they brought in!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How exactly?
It’s a team exercise that’ll also help get the player’s nose out of their phones and into becoming a more rounded teammate and person individually.

“The group that I’ve formed is going to help us be better listeners, better communicators and just better people outside of basketball,” the sixth-year head coach said. “Not that we have bad kids, we have great kids, but I think we can be better. We are trying to get them better on the basketball court and now we are trying to get them better personally and socially, as well.”

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If I were taking something from Uconn to TN I would have chosen the Marine boot camp that they have been running the last five or so years. I don't have a problem with the sports psychologists concept, but I just don't think it is a great team building process - putting people into physical and mental stress and making them have to rely on teammates is more real life and creates both self reliance and reliance on others that is deeper than friendship and 'better communication'. It strikes me that from the outside looking at the product on the floor, that kind of boot camp is more of what TN needs.

On the returning seniors - Nared is the one who impresses me. With less skill and fewer physical attributes than the others she showed to be more consistent and dogged in her game - I consider the other two to be underachievers compared to her overachieving.

I don't really see this new approach as being in the mold of CD - yes Geno and CD stress communication and CD has rules to limit use of electronics in public situations, but the process of team building and the psychology of winning is an integral part of the day to day coaching of the team, and (a big advantage) integral to the way the program gets handed down from one group of upper classmen to the next.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Neither Russell nor Deshields is a leader. Will either or both miraculously become leaders in their senior season? Every summer for the last 4 years at least Holly has talked team unity and leadership. Pardon me for being a skeptic.

Reaction Score
The three seniors have to communicate, Diamond to pass when triple teamed, Mercedes to decide she's going to the hole every game and Nared to stay focused, because, without their commitment to excellence, and setting the example, the rest of the team will flounder. When the boneyard lines up to give Holly a pep talk, you know the Vols have a long way to go.
The total of Vol games I saw this past year -admittedly were few--but Nared at times was the team, Mercedes--looked lost and non aggressive--Diamond --at times exceptional--and at times lost in the crowd---I found my self shouting at Holly and the 3 --apparently they knew how to steal a loss from the jaws a victory. The talent was obvious--and that is frustrating for even a non Vol fan.

Reaction Score
Neither Russell nor Deshields is a leader. Will either or both miraculously become leaders in their senior season? Every summer for the last 4 years at least Holly has talked team unity and leadership. Pardon me for being a skeptic.

Diamond should be the leader--but my choice is one who can lead by example NARED--I like her.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I agree that this is at least an attempt to right the ship. It is apparent, with the now confirmed reports of a fight and the goings on around that fight, that something needs to be done.

There is something to be said of addition by subtraction. It is quite possible the drama surrounding Cooper has been a distraction for the last couple of years and could have been the reason for the chemistry issues.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree that this is at least an attempt to right the ship. It is apparent, with the now confirmed reports of a fight and the goings on around that fight, that something needs to be done.

There is something to be said of addition by subtraction. It is quite possible the drama surrounding Cooper has been a distraction for the last couple of years and could have been the reason for the chemistry issues.
While I do subscribe to the "one bad apple can spoil the barrel" theory, it's hard to buy the idea that Cooper was the reason for the chemistry issues at Tenn. Two years ago she was just a freshman and should never have had that impact. This past year she was out with an injury, so she had no real impact on game or practice chemistry.

Reaction Score

Humans who have close day to day contact --at times have issues just due to the inability separate from each other--Sometimes physical violence clears the air. Sometimes, animosity builds from the physical contact---or another person is involved--emotions . You are absolutely correct addition by subtraction, when fundamental calculus doesn't work. Holly this time, it appears , made the proper and only choice for a solution--and the Chem building is essential--she needs to do this every year.

Reaction Score
While I do subscribe to the "one bad apple can spoil the barrel" theory, it's hard to buy the idea that Cooper was the reason for the chemistry issues at Tenn. Two years ago she was just a freshman and should never have had that impact. This past year she was out with an injury, so she had no real impact on game or practice chemistry.
I like the Bad apple theory --unless it's the appel theory--without being privileged to the exact going's on--it's near impossible to make sense of it. My gut (an that's usually wrong) feeling is the problem was over a person rather than an incident--it lasted too long, apparently, to just be practices, game, bad words. If I'm right then it makes sense to move the person or one of the contenders.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom