Coach Holly Using New Training Techniques to Get Vols ready | The Boneyard

Coach Holly Using New Training Techniques to Get Vols ready

Reaction Score
Turning my new leaf---I'll try not bat Holly around this season--unless it just becomes overwhelming

I am a big fan of this approach to team building--Geno and Christine have done this often--and shall again this year in Italy--
Holly needs anything that brings this team together as a unit. Some on the By have stressed the Vols lack of unity for the last couple of years--and were shot down for saying it--now it appears Holly has seen what the By has seen and is working to fix it. Now, if she'll just move a way from Pat 's old methods (not all) and up her defense and offense intensity---you most certainly has the talent to do it.
But the hill has gotten steeper with the Fire Power Uconn has putting on the court this year. But who knows---maybe they will get an itty bitty bit of help.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
my favorite part of the article. Rising redshirt seniors Diamond DeShields and Mercedes Russell, who passed up the WNBA Draft to remain a Lady Vol another year, head the upperclassmen as seasoned leaders. Those two, along with upcoming senior Jaime Nared, are the core of a talented team that could take Tennessee very far.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Last year one of my frequent complaints with Holly's team was how little I saw their mouths move on court. For a team to win everyone needs to talk on offense AND defense, and talk loudly so that everyone on the floor hears your voice. Not just the team "leaders" but everyone.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
At least she's trying. Here's hoping for a lengthy contract extension.
35d3r5.jpg

Reaction Score
Last year one of my frequent complaints with Holly's team was how little I saw their mouths move on court. For a team to win everyone needs to talk on offense AND defense, and talk loudly so that everyone on the floor hears your voice. Not just the team "leaders" but everyone.
This is a problem at times for UConn too. Remember the clip they showed of Geno yelling at the team during practice? "The quickest way to make 10 girls shut up is to put them on a basketball court"

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This is a problem at times for UConn too. Remember the clip they showed of Geno yelling at the team during practice? "The quickest way to make 10 girls shut up is to put them on a basketball court"
Yeah, but game in and game out last years team was the loudest and one of the most vocal teams I can remember UConn having.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I give Holly credit for trying to change the culture in Knoxville, but as long as she has been coaching, you would have expected her to learn the importance of "better communication, better leadership, better listening and better teammates" far earlier in her career.

At the end of the day, for these changes to stick with the Lady Vols, Holly needs to constantly reinforce them with the team. So the 1st time DD or someone else shows signs of playing "me ball", Holly needs to sit her down and read her the riot act.

Stay tuned...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
my favorite part of the article. Rising redshirt seniors Diamond DeShields and Mercedes Russell, who passed up the WNBA Draft to remain a Lady Vol another year, head the upperclassmen as seasoned leaders. Those two, along with upcoming senior Jaime Nared, are the core of a talented team that could take Tennessee very far.

Define very far? Sweet 16? SEC Championship game? :p

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Or they may be two of the (many) reasons that the Vols didn't get very far last year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think it's clear. That if those three had left. That Tennessee team would look a lot different. I do think this team can be in contention for the SEC title. Also make a deep run in March E8 or FF. If no serious injuries occur,

Reaction Score

I think the stretch is "Elite 8".... I would be amazed if they get any farther than that.....

She has been in the game far too long for a reinvention of sorts..... though she does make noise in the offseason.... she can't stick to what she practices..... I remember 2014 I think it was.... big preparation in the off seaason.... and the seniors said something like "we realize we need to listen to what coach is telling us".... and that lasted one game which was a loss to Tenn Chattanooga i think....

I think another year of "If I knew how to fix our problem , i would do it".... and "I tell them they need to do this , and they just don't want to do it".... and "the other team went after it, we just didn't want it enough".....

Even if one of the freshmen on the back line ....Westbrook or Hayes..... turns into an uber player, what of the front line.... on paper all world.... Nared Diamond and Mercedes.... but they have proven in the course of careers that they only bring it when they want to..... I know sounds harsh but it is true..... Nared IMO has been the most consistent.....

Good luck to Holly and UT, but IMHO the emperor has no new clothes

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Expanding on my earlier post in this thread, Holly has been coaching WBB for 36 years. The article posted by Charlieball indicates a new direction at Tenn, which will require that HW not only changes the culture at Tenn, but also that she reinvents herself.

I have no doubt that HW is dedicated and has the best of intentions, but I am skeptical that she personally has the mental toughness, basketball IQ and ability to communicate that will be required to transform the Lady Vols back into a national power again.

I honestly hope I'm wrong. I am one of those Husky fans that truly miss the intensity that used to be the UConn - Tenn rivalry.

Reaction Score
Expanding on my earlier post in this thread, Holly has been coaching WBB for 36 years. The article posted by Charlieball indicates a new direction at Tenn, which will require that HW not only changes the culture at Tenn, but also that she reinvents herself.

I have no doubt that HW is dedicated and has the best of intentions, but I am skeptical that she personally has the mental toughness, basketball IQ and ability to communicate that will be required to transform the Lady Vols back into a national power again.

I honestly hope I'm wrong. I am one of those Husky fans that truly miss the intensity that used to be the UConn - Tenn rivalry.

Thank you Olddude and good point..... the intensity of the UT UC rivalry was incomparable, the likes of which we have not seen since...... and where did it all stem from? Of course the coaches.... tough as nails..... Geno and Pat sheer will got them results much of the time.....

Tenn needs to get a HC who commands respect..... and can teach the fundamentals..... and teach them again and teach them again.....

Judging by the way they have played in the Holly years..... they lack true commitment.... that is harsh to say..... but what else can explain the losses to teams way below their skill level..... I love the quote from Von Kalusowitz "On War" from 1800s...... "You can't jump over a ditch half way" Gotta be in all the way.......

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Or they may be two of the (many) reasons that the Vols didn't get very far last year.
I look at last year. I saw the team do some very good things. The road wins at South Carolina, and Mississippi State. Those type road wins hadn't happened for a few years. Plus Diamond, Mercedes and Jamie all had their best years at Tennessee.

Reaction Score

I agree, Holly will not change. She was the good cop to Pat's bad cop. Suddenly, she was supposed to reinvent herself? It would have been different if Summitt wasn't controlling everything and Holly was an excellent instruction follower.

All the yearning for the old days when UConn and Tenn were duking it out is nice nostalgia for us old timers who experienced it, but it's futile to expect that excitement to return. Summitt had the pick of the recruiting litter for years. Then, Geno came along with more talent than Pat and the landscape changed. Yes, Tenn has a highly ranked class coming in this year, but it was offset by losing 2 experienced players. I believe they will have a double digit loss season next year because, even though they have a player that is better than Maya Moore, nothing has fundamentally changed.

Reaction Score
Sorry to rain on Holly's parade but I thought I'd add this coaching story to the mix as it didn't warrant it's own thread..

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I look at last year. I saw the team do some very good things. The road wins at South Carolina, and Mississippi State. Those type road wins hadn't happened for a few years. Plus Diamond, Mercedes and Jamie all had their best years at Tennessee.

And when all was said and done, the team lost in the first round of the SEC tournament to Alabama and in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament to Louisville. It is post-season play that defines a season and last season's Lady Vol team performed dreadfully.

Reaction Score

Those 2 road wins were great yes, and the Notre Dame win good as well..... I do not see momentum going your way, though, on the basis of just those....

Trying to be a non-partial observer, Mercedes just didn't show up for several games, and I do not know why. (Felt badly for her the first season, when she had the bad foot problems).... Diamond ..... for my money..... still had too many turnovers..... I do not subscribe to the thought process that..... "she thinks she has to do it all herself".... that is what teammates are for...... and do not subscribe to the thinking either that "she is injured and still is not 100%"..... if that is the case she should not be playing.....

Nared..... wow her game is really good..... and she is seemingly always putting forth a good effort......

Where did the days go when Pat would get in their faces and challenge them to do things of which they thought they were not capable

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom