Co-State Champions - WTF? | The Boneyard

Co-State Champions - WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Been that way for 30+ years. Argument is that penalty kicks are a terrible way to lose a championship.

Reaction Score
I know a sport where they determine who plays in the championship based on media opinion and a bunch of other qualitative and subjective factors.

And before that there were often multiple national champions each year because the polls sometimes produced a different# 1.

How stupid is that?

Do they do this in any other sport?

Reaction Score
Not the first time. Been that way for a while. Two overtimes and that's it. Stupid rule that they never bothered to change.
I actually think the rule goes back to a time when most gamew were played on unlighted fields, too. By the time you played a full game plus OT it was really too dark to continue and too dark for even penalty kicks.

Reaction Score
I actually think the rule goes back to a time when most gamew were played on unlighted fields, too. By the time you played a full game plus OT it was really too dark to continue and too dark for even penalty kicks.

Dont think so. They use PKs in the earlier rounds, and those games are played on school days, so they dont even start until 2 pm or later.

Reaction Score
I believe a few years ago an athlete either missed on a penalty shot in field hockey or missed stopping a shot that lost the game. The player was so distraught she committed suicide. Since then, any finals game in a sport that otherwise would go to penalties ends in a tie.

Reaction Score
I believe a few years ago an athlete either missed on a penalty shot in field hockey or missed stopping a shot that lost the game. The player was so distraught she committed suicide. Since then, any finals game in a sport that otherwise would go to penalties ends in a tie.

Like I said, CT has been doing this for 30+ years.

Reaction Score
They determine the World Cup on penalty kicks. That's too bush league for CT high school soccer?

Reaction Score

Not sure of the year but you are correct.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Been that way for 30+ years. Argument is that penalty kicks are a terrible way to lose a championship.

Games, especially championships should not be won or lost on penalty kicks. First goal wins in over time. That's the only way to end a game.

Reaction Score
Games, especially championships should not be won or lost on penalty kicks. First goal wins in over time. That's the only way to end a game.
Then they should play another game two days later when they get the proper rest.

Reaction Score
They determine the World Cup on penalty kicks. That's too bush league for CT high school soccer?

WC players are multi-million dollar professionals. Compare with teenage kids.
Even soccer fans admit that PKs is crappy way to decide a game. It'd be like determining a FB game by having a FG kicking contest.

In CT soccer, they have 2 OTs, and if that doesn't produce a winner, they're co-champs.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Then they should play another game two days later when they get the proper rest.

Screw the rest. Championships should be won by the best team, not the best starters. Empty the bench, and keep playing. If this was the rule for all games, I see nothing but positives for all concerned.

A good number (one in ten) of games in my area end in a tie, mostly because the coaches, refs, and parents want to go home.

Rather than penalty kicks, I'd love to see a rule that says no starter can play after the first overtime. It sure would encourage a coach to use his/her bench as much as possible.

Alternately, just keep playing until someone scores.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know a sport where they determine who plays in the championship based on media opinion and a bunch of other qualitative and subjective factors.

And before that there were often multiple national champions each year because the polls sometimes produced a different# 1.

How stupid is that?
Only for one more year.;)

Reaction Score
Screw the rest. Championships should be won by the best team, not the best starters. Empty the bench, and keep playing. If this was the rule for all games, I see nothing but positives for all concerned.

A good number (one in ten) of games in my area end in a tie, mostly because the coaches, refs, and parents want to go home.

Rather than penalty kicks, I'd love to see a rule that says no starter can play after the first overtime. It sure would encourage a coach to use his/her bench as much as possible.

Alternately, just keep playing until someone scores.

Then you'd just have coaches start their bench for the first minute on the off chance it went into 2 OT's. At the first whistle the starters would come in.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Then you'd just have coaches start their bench for the first minute on the off chance it went into 2 OT's. At the first whistle the starters would come in.

Come on ... You know what I mean.

How's this - no one who plays in the first overtime, can play in the second OT?

I'd rather see the game continue unaltered until there is a winner. But what I suggest is better than penalty kicks.

Reaction Score
Come on ... You know what I mean.

How's this - no one who plays in the first overtime, can play in the second OT?

I'd rather see the game continue unaltered until there is a winner. But what I suggest is better than penalty kicks.

I played soccer my whole life including collegiately. As a keeper, I've never had a problem with PK's determining an outcome. You can't play for ever. Maybe i'm in the minority, but its never bothered me in the slightest.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I played soccer my whole life including collegiately. As a keeper, I've never had a problem with PK's determining an outcome. You can't play for ever. Maybe i'm in the minority, but its never bothered me in the slightest.

You don't have to play forever. You only have to play until one team wins. Changing the rules to hasten the end doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like the PKs after two over times. At some point they have to determine in a winner and a loser.

Reaction Score

If everyone knows that PKs come after two overtime periods then that's the sport. PKs are part of the game. It's a skill set.

Reaction Score
Only for one more year.;)

Right and then we have a committee and it will be totally fixed. right.

Until we have a 16 team playoff then our method of determining a champion will be suspect in my opinion.

Reaction Score
It's a problem in every sport, but clearly soccer which heavily favors the defense has the worst problem because it happens frequently. Also since there are a limited number of substitutions it would be unfair to the players and the audience to continue the game indefinitely. Still a tie for a knockout championship is stupid. I've never minded pk shootouts, it is much different than the rest of the game but it's fun to watch especially if you ever get to the goalkeepers kicking a penalty.

Side note, it was recently changed but i thought the silliest rule in all tie breakers was first to score in football, basically the game was decided by a coinflip given how good NFL kickers are. It also seems like a touchdown to win isn't that much better but a line has to be drawn somewhere i suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom