Closing Ability | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Closing Ability

Reaction Score
Our teams lead by transfers usually don't turn out the best over the years it seems. Whether it was Gibbs taking time from JA, Rodney being one of our best players for awhile, etc. They usually don't have the same "potential" as our own recruits. Like RJ has been doing a lot of the heavy lifting this year but he's shooting under 40% from the field. For all his consistency Gaffney still is the better talent and I'm kind of curious to see what he'd be with more consistent responsibility. Anytime we'd ask him to shoulder a load he seemed to do well with it (freshman year, UMD game).

Also wonder how Jackson and Hawkins would play if we consistently had to lean on them to score rather than deferring to our transfers who doesn't have the talent they do. Just the experience and consistency.
You should tell Scott Drew who had Davion Mitchell lead his team to a national championship as a transfer last year

Reaction Score
I appreciate your thoughtful response, but disagree with the premise. Edwards Deming, the father of the process perspective, espoused continuous improvement. Sticking to a process without correcting/acknowledging difficiencies is an excercise in futility.
Well, there are processes and processes. In the care of college basketball there is a live opponent, not a process. All sports that have a live opponent unlike bowling or golf with the weather create constant change for you in your process thus require adjustment or failure? We live in a dynamic world, just look at the Covid. Even with shots, your end game is a big question.
Why bother to have coaching timeouts, stick with the process????

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You should tell Scott Drew who had Davion Mitchell lead his team to a national championship as a transfer last year
That's cool... Has it ever worked for us in our history?

Reaction Score
That's cool... Has it ever worked for us in our history?
Yes, despite you trying to use him as a negative Sterling Gibbs led us to a NCAA tournament berth along with Purvis and Shonn Miller. And RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin are about to do the same this year

Reaction Score
Have we discussed the strategy of playing for just one shot at the end with 30 left on the clock and down 1? This theoretically gives you a 50% chance of winning, but know what we know about our execution AND knowing Cole is out this was the fail IMO. UConn needed to inbound the ball and immediately drive to the hoop - that gives us a 50% chance of scoring and an expected value of 1pt on the board = tie game or lead OR chance to foul and have enough time on the clock to make a 3pter. Down 1 IMMEDIATELY attacking the basket or trying to score was the best strategy to win or force 2OT. Plus that attack mentality avoids the deer in the headlights no one wants to shoot problem that the team faces anyways.
Couldn’t agree more with this sentiment. Considering how much we struggle to execute in these situations I was really hoping we’d attack immediately vs SH in OT, rather than hold.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t agree more with this sentiment. Considering how much we struggle to execute in these situations I was really hoping we’d attack immediately vs SH in OT, rather than hold.
Agreed - try to score on a good shot ASAP. If you score - great. If not there is a chance for rebound, steal etc. If the clock runs out - no second chance.

Also stop automatically calling timeouts. Calling a timeout to set up a play also lets the defense get set - they may not know the play that will be run but at least they are set, I think there would be a better chance to score while the defense is trying to get back to defend rather than letting the defense get set after timeout.

Reaction Score
You lose close games when u have only one natural PG on the roster and he doesn’t play. Cole is a warrior and I’ve changed my tune on him & his limited athleticism but really a strong combo guard and not fair he has to do everything for 40 mins.

A lot of us said all off-season that you can’t go into the season with this weak guard play/one really good shot creator on roster essentially and it would be a ton of rock fights. Was hoping I was wrong after Auburn Looked so good.
And Auburn is now the projected at #1 next week after Baylor's loss last night to TX Tech!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yes, despite you trying to use him as a negative Sterling Gibbs led us to a NCAA tournament berth along with Purvis and Shonn Miller. And RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin are about to do the same this year
We just have different expectations for how good we should be then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom