Closing Ability | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Closing Ability

Reaction Score
This team is very good at making games a rock fight and keeping things close, but I have very little faith in our ability to close out tight games. I know that I am not saying anything new on this board, but I pride myself in not overreacting to every game, so I've withheld judgment until today. At this point, though, I have seen enough to conclude it's a real problem.

A lot of people blaming Hurley. He does call some questionable plays out of a stoppage. But does he really deserve most of the blame?

From where I'm sitting, we lack an athletic playmaker and we don't have enough good decision makers. Cole cannot be counted on to call his own number and get a bucket inside the three point arc. Tyrese doesn't have a tight enough handle. Sanogo needs to be fed, and he can be contained in closing time with a double-team or a spying defender.

Cole seems to be the only good decision maker of the starters.

Unfortunately, I don't see this being something we can "outgrow" this year. Someone (AJax or Hawk) needs to emerge as the athletic, dependable scorer we need. And they both seem to be a long way off yet.
Nailed it in the head. I went into this thread thinking one thing which is that we lack a go to athletic playmaker/shot creator that can consistently get their own bucket. That’s something that becomes the most important in closing minutes whether it’s college or the NBA. And we see how it’s hurting us now.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Those Calhoun recruits aren't good examples. Rip and Khalid were McDonald's all-Americans, Ray was top 35 and picked UConn over Pitino at Kentucky, and Caron was a top 10 recruit in 2 of the ranking services and the other 2 never included him because of his pg year. Okafor is the only underrated guy.

Castle is big time but we need his class to be a monster class.
Your points are well-taken about Ray and Rip, but I meant that Khalid (size, defense) and Caron (character) were flawed, if not supremely talented, recruits.

Reaction Score
The truth is we are the most talented team in the big East. Our roster has some issues with balance at certain positions but Jay Wright would choose our roster over his. We need to start living up to that. Closing games is a huge problem. The players and coach tighten up and dare I say panic, at the end of close games.

Reaction Score
Well he didn’t play like that at the beginning of the season. It wasn’t until Hurley benched him for every little mistake is when he started becoming scared to make them.
I don't know about that. The second he made that mistake against Auburn, he hasn't been the same to me. It seems every turnover the kid makes, the entire team has to run to him to tell him to keep his head up.
It's bizarre. Did he never fail in HS?

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Agreed. From top to bottom they’re scared. Nobody wants the ball when it matters. Hurley needed to give them a plan B besides Sanogo that last possession.

Look at the last possessions in the MSU, VCU, WVU, and now SHU games. We’re not getting better in these moments at all. It’s basically pure panic.

In today’s case it was an ugly ending to what I would consider a pretty impressive performance though.
Re-watch that last play. Someone pointed out Tyrese waved Adama away on that last possession, but Adama still flashed for a pick and roll bringing his man which allowed the trap. Rese had several turnovers but he also consistently made big shots throughout the game. He has been all season. He missed a layup in the first half that I thought showed our overall lack of sharpness following the covid pause.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is not true, that's how he looked from the first game he stepped onto the court. Just look at the Auburn game and how hard on himself he was after the turnover
Huh? He was very aggressive when he first got on the court at the beginning of the season scoring almost a point a minute. He played very well but got bench for every little mistake. Even against Auburn he scored 16 points and only got 15 minutes for it… In a game that went to double OT.

When someone doesn’t get rewarded for the great things they do but gets easily “punished”, yeah they’re going to think about the mistakes more. Hurley should’ve done a better job of letting his very talent freshman play through his mistakes.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't know about that. The second he made that mistake against Auburn, he hasn't been the same to me. It seems every turnover the kid makes, the entire team has to run to him to tell him to keep his head up.
Look at his first two games and see how Hurley managed his minutes. I remember him being able to make a couple of good plays and then after one turnover he’d get pulled quickly. While most guys have a more rope.

Reaction Score
It really is amazing how many times we come out of a timeout and don't get a shot off.
Fairest take on this thread.

I was kinda hoping this thread was a mislabeled OT: Thread about the failures of picking up girls and suggestions on how to "close".

Reaction Score
I’m a huge Hurley guy, but was curious if his record in close games is as bad as people make it out to be.

Since he got here in 2019 UConn is 11-21 (or 34%) in overtime games and two possession games

If you exclude the first year where we were just an awful team, UConn is 10-14 (42%).

Bad? yes. Awful? Maybe

Reaction Score
The truth is we are the most talented team in the big East. Our roster has some issues with balance at certain positions but Jay Wright would choose our roster over his. We need to start living up to that. Closing games is a huge problem. The players and coach tighten up and dare I say panic, at the end of close games.
Not so fast my friend. I don't think Jay Wright would swap rosters and honestly neither would I. It's basketball, not athleticismball.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Don’t think anyone is looking for perfection. Just one more point than the other team in these 50/50 games. Our record in them under Hurley is abysmal. That’s just a fact.
Beat good Auburn in OT. Beat decent VCU in OT. Arguably got hosed by a terrible call vs MSU that changed the game. SH gets a big break on a wild possession that UConn forced and wind up with a last instant foul that probably sealed the game. Not to mention we best Marquette in a relatively close game and I’m pretty sure they beat the snot out of Providence. I’d bet a bunch Hurley didn’t design a play that ran the clock down to one second. SH is a good defensive team that we hung a lot of points on. Guaranteed they had something to do with our running the clock down.

Honestly, people here react like the other team doesn’t play a role in how a possession goes. And we all know we have limitations on this team with creators, especially ones who can score for themselves. I once asked a player who did well for us under Calhoun if the other team ever made a good play. He smiled because he knew I was asking about Calhoun’s attitude and said “never”.

Reaction Score
I’m a huge Hurley guy, but was curious if his record in close games is as bad as people make it out to be.

Since he got here in 2019 UConn is 11-21 (or 34%) in overtime games and two possession games

If you exclude the first year where we were just an awful team, UConn is 10-14 (42%).

Bad? yes. Awful? Maybe
I think he had similar issues at URI as well.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Bad? yes. Awful? Maybe
How many other coaches have you surveyed and who were the games against? Obviously we examine our own program under a microscope but have little info on others. How many of these games were close because we played better or worse than expected throughout the game? What were the possessions like? All I know about Hurley’s teams is unlike the last guy where effort an intensity was like a rollercoaster. DH teams rarely take a play off.

Reaction Score

Actually, I don't think he ever failed in HS, or at least not often. The problem is, he still plays like someone who can blow by defenders and dunk, like he did in HS. He hit a nice jumper yesterday when he was open, but also had a couple of bad TO's when he tried to force things. He'll be fine with a little maturity and an understanding of how he fits our system, but I'm not sure I want him in at the end of a close game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It’s been so long, didn’t JC yank players immediately when they turned the ball over?
No. Only when it was an obvious bad play.He was the hook master for sure, but not quite that extreme.

Reaction Score
Like many others, I feel our inability to finish a game relates to our suspect guard play. It is what it is. We've talked about it a ton. I don't think DH can coach around this limitation, but there are likely some in game coaching criticisms that are warranted. The real criticism is allowing our guard situation to decay to this point. Which is another topic we have discussed significantly. This has to be corrected in the off-season and cannot consistently happen again. Otherwise DH will struggle and eventually fail at UCONN

For the time being we will continue to struggle against tournament caliber teams. Those games will be a toss up. Maybe we make the tournament, but maybe we do not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Beat good Auburn in OT. Beat decent VCU in OT. Arguably got hosed by a terrible call vs MSU that changed the game. SH gets a big break on a wild possession that UConn forced and wind up with a last instant foul that probably sealed the game. Not to mention we best Marquette in a relatively close game and I’m pretty sure they beat the snot out of Providence. I’d bet a bunch Hurley didn’t design a play that ran the clock down to one second. SH is a good defensive team that we hung a lot of points on. Guaranteed they had something to do with our running the clock down.

Honestly, people here react like the other team doesn’t play a role in how a possession goes. And we all know we have limitations on this team with creators, especially ones who can score for themselves. I once asked a player who did well for us under Calhoun if the other team ever made a good play. He smiled because he knew I was asking about Calhoun’s attitude and said “never”.
Your arguments are exactly the issue. Bad call by the ref. Bad bounce of the ball. Close losses are easy to explain away by a “bad break” here or there. The fact of the matter is, you have to win close games to be a good team. Period.

The Auburn game never should have been a close double OT game. We blew a 15 point lead w 10 minutes to go. Our team tightens up in close, late game situations. Anyone that doesn’t recognize that is just whistling past the graveyard.

This ain’t horseshoes. We aren’t looking to be good enough to compete. We need to start winning these games. We are a scatterbrained team when the money is on the line. That’s a direct extension of our coach right now. It has to change.

Reaction Score
Closing well means doing things we don't do well.

Getting the ball inbounds against pressure.

Attacking and punishing pressure.

Making foul shots down the stretch.

Spreading the floor to punish double teams.

Playing defense without fouling.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I get why people micro examine Hurley whether or not the conclusions drawn make any sense . But take a look at today’s for example scores and see how ranked teams did away from home. How many lost to lower ranked teams and didn’t come down to the wire? The point being, with a pretty flawed team, Hurley has this team playing pretty well. Coming off this lay off I was pretty happy how they performed Do other coaches get every move examined by fan bases the way ours does? I see us with two major problems and are still a tough out. It’s a lack of ball handlers and an inability to keep guards from penetrating. We have 4 losses, 2 in OT and all close. Except for Hawkins, whose value is yet to be determined, we are not seeing our other touted freshmen play. Johnson has a crowded field. Diggins really doesn’t. I still think we are a fun team to watch.
In this way we are the Notre Dame of college hoops.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Don’t think anyone is looking for perfection. Just one more point than the other team in these 50/50 games. Our record in them under Hurley is abysmal. That’s just a fact.
I took a look at Calhoun’s history through his early UConn years. Up through about year 7 hus OT record wax 2-9. Didn’t count all the close games for wins and losses. His OT record after the early period was phenomenal. But none of the scores tell you how it got to OT in the first place, which is nice to know. Is it on the coach when his team plays really well but your All American misses 2 FT that would’ve iced the game and loses in OT? Did they blow a lead so that they got into a situation where they needed those foul shots? The point is, every game is different MSU involved a terrible no call. Yesterday a mad scramble winds up with a foul call after a very good defensive sequence. Two games against quality teams where I’m not so sure it’s on the coach tge way the end played out. Obviously the clock running out is bad., but is it bad design or the other team countering successfully. I’m more concerned that we have one guy who is good at creating for himself. Makes us easier to defend.

Reaction Score
We were up by 9 points at one point and proceeded to turn the ball three times in a row. I see just as big a problem not extending our leads than in closing out games.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
In this way we are the Notre Dame of college hoops.
Don’t ever compare us to ND. The most overrated self-important sports factory in history. ;) Duke and Cuse are more palatable. (My son works in the literal shadow of the Dome and his wife is a Dukie so I’m required to be somewhat tolerant.)

Reaction Score
We are good, yet have flaws just like every team. We hit a few 3s and we can beat anyone. Look over at the seton hall board- saying we are the best team they have played this season. ESPN has us vs Auburn as game of the year. But yes- gotta close .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom