Clingan wanted to stay for the 3-peat ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clingan wanted to stay for the 3-peat ?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Still don't believe it.
I do. This is entirely consistent with the guy that Dan Hurley is.

IMG_3136.jpeg
IMG_3137.jpeg

It's also entirely consistent with Clingan.

Reaction Score
Clingan coming back would have practically guaranteed us a 3-peat. Obviously Hurley knows this. And without question, that would have been awesome, and must have been incredibly tempting for him to contemplate.

That having been said... Anyone wondering why these young men and their families love and trust Dan Hurley so much, here is just another shining example. He really does go out his way to put the best interests of each and every one of these young men first, at all times.

Hurley is the perfect guy at this time to be heading up our program. And he has clearly risen to the status of best coach in major college basketball. Great job once again Coach!

As for young Mr. Clingan: thank you for having wanted to come back Donovan. We all feel the same way about you. You have been nothing but a credit to this team, our university, your family and yourself. May you have a long, very successful and extremely prosperous career in the NBA young man. You will always and forever be one of the greats to ever don the Husky uniform!

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Clingan will always be a part of any future UCONN team. Hurley's job includes giving these kids the best possible advice that he can. Seems like everybody who knew anything about anything knew that he was going to be drafted in the first round. That alone secures his future forever financially.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Ahh thanks for sharing. I thought Steph might have been thinking about returning but it seems like it was a relief Hurley felt the same way he did as far as going to the draft.

Reaction Score
As for young Mr. Clingan: thank you for having wanted to come back Donovan. We all feel the same way about you. You have been nothing but a credit to this team, our university, your family and yourself. May you have a long, very successful and extremely prosperous career in the NBA young man. You will always and forever be one of the greats to ever don the Husky uniform!
Agree and he can always come back in the future for a degree! This to make himself his father and mom / spirit in the sky even more proud.
Both the head coach and the player being class acts in doing what is in the best interest of the players future. Obviously a heart breaker for both but the best decision for the player.

Reaction Score

I didn't really get to hear Stephen Castle speak before so I didn't have a chance to develop an impression outside of the fact that he was a seeming quiet but extremely talented kid ... to hear him in this video speaks to what a bright, articulate and impressive man he is .... his family has to be so proud of how mature and poised he is ... his respect for Coach Hurley as a coach and as a man, comes through so clearly ... Thanks so much for posting this ... Both UConn's first round kids, beyond being overtly talented, are also extraordinarily impressive young men

Reaction Score
This clip is cued up to where Castle talks about meeting with Hurley to tell him he was leaving. I thought was something. Especially compared to what Coach K said to William Avery when he was leaving. K started screaming at him saying "You're going to **** up my program!"
opinions on K aside, the quote on the avery situation is likely made up. Duke was considering suing for slander over it, but chose not to due to the overall relationship with ESPN.

Reaction Score
An athlete, especially a BIG-TIME athlete may only get one chance to grab that ring going around and they better grab for it when they have the stars aligned or it may never come again!
Look at all the injuries UConn WBB has had in the last 3 years anyone could have been career ending! And there's no guarantee that Caroline will be over her head injuries! We pray she is so she can realize HER dreams!
So when you have your health an accomplished all you can, take the next bus out of Dodge and get on with your life!
Kudos to Coach Hurley for expressing that to DC and SC even tho he may have cost himself an unbelievable 3-peat!
Reality check!

Reaction Score
An athlete, especially a BIG-TIME athlete may only get one chance to grab that ring going around and they better grab for it when they have the stars aligned or it may never come again!
Look at all the injuries UConn WBB has had in the last 3 years anyone could have been career ending! And there's no guarantee that Caroline will be over her head injuries! We pray she is so she can realize HER dreams!
So when you have your health an accomplished all you can, take the next bus out of Dodge and get on with your life!
Kudos to Coach Hurley for expressing that to DC and SC even tho he may have cost himself an unbelievable 3-peat!
Reality check!
yeah i feel like a lot of people can take the quote out of context. There's a difference between hurley slamming the door on a guy like clingan, and being clear that the best thing for him is to move on.

I don't think there's a question that the right thing for clingan is for clingan to go to the NBA. I also think if he had said "I'm not interested in the NBA, I'm staying," Hurley would say "sorry, pulling your scholly and kicking you off the team"

But hurley would not be doing these players justice if he didn't give his best assessment of what is necessary for them to reach their lifetime goals....and for clingan, that is absolutely that it would be insane for him to return. I'd rather that attitude of looking out for his players for life rather than doing what's selfish for Uconn or Hurley's career.

There's more to life than Uconn winning natty's, and I'm happy that we got a coach that is looking out for those things for our players.

Reaction Score
Reality check!
6 sentences ending in explanation points. I guess you're pretty serious. :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
yeah i feel like a lot of people can take the quote out of context. There's a difference between hurley slamming the door on a guy like clingan, and being clear that the best thing for him is to move on.
The entire exchange seems like it was tongue-in-cheek.

Reaction Score
In Castle’s and Clingan’s draft positions what is the money that they are guaranteed?

Reaction Score
In Castle’s and Clingan’s draft positions what is the money that they are guaranteed?
Last year’s #4 pick (Amen Thompson) has a 4 year / $40M contract with about $18M guaranteed. #7 pick (Bilal Coulibaly) has 4 years / $30M with about $13.5M guaranteed

I’m guessing Castle and Clingan’s will be slightly above those numbers since they’re a year later and salaries generally go up over time

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
opinions on K aside, the quote on the avery situation is likely made up. Duke was considering suing for slander over it, but chose not to due to the overall relationship with ESPN.
Sounds like something K would say.

Reaction Score
Of course he would tell him that. It would be silly for Clingan to come back. Time to secure that first round contract.
It would be irresponsible and selfish of Hurley to tell Clingan, "cool comeback here at UConn". It was the most ethical and responsible thing for Hurley to mandate Clingan to leave. This also shows parents of future recruits that Hurley and the coaching staff will always look out for the best interests of the players at all times.

Reaction Score
They wouldn’t have stayed anyways, their agent would be in their ear as well as their family, passing up on life changing money. Everyone says they wanna comeback when the season ends, that’s an emotional decision. Marvin Harrison Jr said he wanted another shot at Michigan, Caleb Williams hinted at returning even though he was a guaranteed 1st pick since his freshman season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom