Clingan = NBA Pro Prospect? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clingan = NBA Pro Prospect?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Donovan is our Destiny.

@CL82
Nbc Dude GIF by Superstore

Reaction Score
This board will have an epic meltdown if he is one-and-done lol.

I don't think he'll be drafted yet though. Assuming his production comes back down to earth, I think he could be drafted next year. Obviously if he keeps averaging 15/10 in like 18 minutes a game he'll be drafted... he's been ridiculously productive so far. Draft status will go up depending on how well he can shoot.
Not just him, roster oozes talent. Wish they played Ketucky, Duke and Kansas this year. They could handle all of them. I think this squad is generational good.

Reaction Score
Woops meant to post it before

Interesting article. Thanks. It doesn't say that "about a third of kids who are drafted from high school become star players," which is what I was doubting. I don't doubt there are many high school kids who make the majors but I bet it's a very small percentage. Same with college players.

The MLB draft is not like football and basketball where most of the draftees make the pros. I know there are a ridiculous number of rounds in the MLB draft but I bet if you took even the first 5 or 6 rounds and give them 6 years to make the majors it would still be a small percentage.

Reaction Score
Interesting article. Thanks. It doesn't say that "about a third of kids who are drafted from high school become star players," which is what I was doubting. I don't doubt there are many high school kids who make the majors but I bet it's a very small percentage. Same with college players.

The MLB draft is not like football and basketball where most of the draftees make the pros. I know there are a ridiculous number of rounds in the MLB draft but I bet if you took even the first 5 or 6 rounds and give them 6 years to make the majors it would still be a small percentage.
When you look at the percentages, roughly 33% of players in each of their categories came straight from high school

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When you look at the percentages, roughly 33% of players in each of their categories came straight from high school
Which not to say (as you did) that 33% of those drafted out of HS become stars. Merely that 33% of stars were drafted out of HS. That I absolutely believe, and I assumed that's what you meant. Less than 1 in 5 players drafted (20%) ever make it to the majors, let alone become stars. How Many MLB Draft Picks Make It To The Majors?

In any event, Clingan had his "back to earth" game. Knew it would be coming. Karaban likewise was somewhat overmateched against a physical PF. Fortunately we have a lot of ways to win games.

Reaction Score
Which not to say (as you did) that 33% of those drafted out of HS become stars. Merely that 33% of stars were drafted out of HS. That I absolutely believe, and I assumed that's what you meant. Less than 1 in 5 players drafted (20%) ever make it to the majors, let alone become stars. How Many MLB Draft Picks Make It To The Majors?

In any event, Clingan had his "back to earth" game. Knew it would be coming. Karaban likewise was somewhat overmateched against a physical PF. Fortunately we have a lot of ways to win games.
That is indeed a better way of describing the conclusion of the data

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't think he is one-&-done, but the scout is likely referring to the old saying, "You can't teach height." According to the YouTube video with him playing H.O.R.S.E. with Rosa, he was 6'-8" in 9th grade, meaning he was already tall and grown into his body. If he puts on some weight and develops a 10-15 footer, ala Tim Duncan, watch TF out.

Another reason might have something to do with family, but that is just speculation. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone after next year. OTOH, I would be pleasantly (but selfishly) shocked if he spends all four at UConn.

Husky25

Reaction Score

I don't think he played enough for that to be a "back to Earth" game.

Reaction Score
7’2, 265, and not being raw will put you on draft lists no matter what. The NBA more than any other league drafts on potential.
And he’s still only 18. I think we have him through next season and I hope he plays well enough to go round 1 in the 2024 draft.

Reaction Score
And he’s still only 18. I think we have him through next season and I hope he plays well enough to go round 1 in the 2024 draft.

This. Even going in 2024 he will be the same age as many of the freshman. Staying as sophomore won't effect him as much as others like Karaban who took a prep year

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think he played enough for that to be a "back to Earth" game.
He didn't play much because he wasn't very effective...so that's a back to earth game compared to the PK games before. I'm not down on him, but he's a freshman and certain opponents are going to be a tough matchup for him.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He didn't play much because he wasn't very effective...so that's a back to earth game compared to the PK games before. I'm not down on him, but he's a freshman and certain opponents are going to be a tough matchup for him.
I suppose.

OTOH, I do remember noticing that no starters were subbed out until after the 12:00 TV break to start the game and Sanogo was having his way with OSU's front court while Cisse was on the bench. Clingan could have certainly gotten more time in the second half to spell both Adama and/or Karaban.

At the end of the day, if we are nitpicking minutes distribution for two freshmen and a forward who's been playing basketball for only six years during a 10 point win over a top 35 team, things are looking pretty good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This board will have an epic meltdown if he is one-and-done lol.
I don't think so. Most folks here know the facts of life these days.

Reaction Score
Serious question.. I wonder how many freshman backup centers have been NBA lottery draft picks in Year 1??

BTW..Not saying it can't/doesn't happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom