Clingan MVP | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clingan MVP

Reaction Score
There will be a lot of top scouts at our games from this point forward...a lot of agents too....
I have to assume there were plenty of NBA scouts in Portland. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that they liked what they saw.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think you don’t break what is working. You’ll make each guy less effective by playing them together. Let the hot hand get more minutes each game. Neither strikes me as selfish, so I doubt they’re crying about minutes in Dans office.

Reaction Score
I said this in other Post Game thread. Clingan is maybe only here for 2 years if he keeps on developing like this. Just needs to develop a little bit of a jump shot to go with his height, strength and nimbleness and he will be at the next level very soon. He is just game changer for us.

Reaction Score
I was incredibly skeptical of this kid being an impact freshman because of his high school experience. I worried that what looked good was because he was a giant among the small. He's going to hit a freshman wall at some point, and teams are going to start actually game-planning for him, but I'm very happy to be wrong. Kid is already much better than I thought he'd be.

caw

Reaction Score
Ten years ago, maybe. But today, he'd need more of a perimeter game to be a lottery pick after year one.

Ten years ago and he is def one and done. Not sure who his best comp is in the NBA right now.

Reaction Score
This sounds nuts, but if Clingan keeps playing like this, he could be one and done
No chance.

Drew Timme one of the best college bigs of the last decade is a projected 2nd round pick... I know he's not 7'2 but if you're not a freak athlete that can step out and bang threes above 35% the NBA isn't really interested.

DC will play in the NBA someday but that days not close.

caw

Reaction Score
I was incredibly skeptical of this kid being an impact freshman because of his high school experience. I worried that what looked good was because he was a giant among the small. He's going to hit a freshman wall at some point, and teams are going to start actually game-planning for him, but I'm very happy to be wrong. Kid is already much better than I thought he'd be.

I’m not sure if another team will throw as many big to big doubles as iSU did. They pulled out a UConn vs Duke/Elton Brand today by sending doubles whenever Adama had the ball in the post.

Clingan so far isn’t really get many post touches. he seems to get points mostly off putbacks, dumpoffs and alleyoops. Hard to game plan against besides letting our big gaurds waltz to the rim or help from Karaban which opens ball movement. Defensively Clingan has done a good job of moving his feet. I guess you could go 5 out. But you better have five good shooters.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DC deserves the MVP. The flow of the game changed each time he stepped onto the court. AS is special but he is not a true 5 DC is a 5 you can build a really great team around. He has great hands, court vision and ca defend without fouling. Plus he can score. The complete package and he is still a work in progress. Congrats DC and UConn

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Wow, that was a perfect response by Clingan. He spends a lot of time giving credit to Adama for making him a better player in talking about how Adama dominates him in practices. He then went on to credit the coaches for the scout saying without it the team wouldn’t have any success. His humility really shows the interview. He is a good teammate.

When we were recruiting him I often commented that his size in mobility or big pluses, but the thing that made him most special was his character. He is a terrific kid.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
What the hell does Hurley do with 2 once in a decade big men, who can’t practically play together? I’m not a fan of playing them together the 4 out system works. I say you split it evenly 20 for AS. 20 for DC.
I’m hoping the threat of DC just makes Sanogo play that much harder and smarter.

He does not have room to go into black hole mode or make dumb fouls because if he does, Hurley can 100% go to DC without blinking.

Reaction Score
No chance.

Drew Timme one of the best college bigs of the last decade is a projected 2nd round pick... I know he's not 7'2 but if you're not a freak athlete that can step out and bang threes above 35% the NBA isn't really interested.

DC will play in the NBA someday but that days not close.
This is a *TERRRIBLE take

Drew Timme is a dime a dozen in the NBA - 6'8.5 guys who are skilled

You know what isn't a dime a dozen? 7'3 bulldozers who can stand up 1:1 in the post, score from the block at a high rate, and generally be hyper efficient down low and shoot a jumper to space the floor.

That list is very small, makes a lot of money, and plays in the NBA for FOREVER. Think Brook Lopez, Boban Marjakovic, etc.

We can hope that between CT Hometown NIL deals and shoe contracts and agents that the economics allow him to stay in college, but do not be shocked if he's a 1 or 2 and done.

Reaction Score
This is a *TERRRIBLE take

Drew Timme is a dime a dozen in the NBA - 6'8.5 guys who are skilled

You know what isn't a dime a dozen? 7'3 bulldozers who can stand up 1:1 in the post, score from the block at a high rate, and generally be hyper efficient down low and shoot a jumper to space the floor.

That list is very small, makes a lot of money, and plays in the NBA for FOREVER. Think Brook Lopez, Boban Marjakovic, etc.

We can hope that between CT Hometown NIL deals and shoe contracts and agents that the economics allow him to stay in college, but do not be shocked if he's a 1 or 2 and done.
To be fair, he said he'll play in the NBA someday just not after a year. I think that's a fair assessment. DC hasn't shown a consistent midrange jumper yet and I think his lateral quickness will need to improve to stick with guys on the perimeter at the next level. I totally agree that his size is something you can't teach and gives him a big advantage over a guy like TImme.

Also, he's 7'2. That's plenty huge in and of itself. Let's not do this "add a spare inch to accentuate our point" or else DC will be 8 feet tall by the end of the year.

Reaction Score
I only got to watch the last 8 or 9 minutes on my phone with the sound turned off. They finished the game with Tristan, California, Andre, Alex and DC? And that line up pulled away!! Good gravy
Good stuff seems to happen when DC is out there.

Reaction Score
Wow, that was a perfect response by Clingan. He spends a lot of time giving credit to Adama for making him a better player in talking about how Adama dominates him in practices. He then went on to credit the coaches for the scout saying without it the team wouldn’t have any success. His humility really shows the interview. He is a good teammate.

When we were recruiting him I often commented that his size in mobility or big pluses, but the thing that made him most special was his character. He is a terrific kid.
Andy Katz had us 36 in his pre season poll. How’s that fee now Andy?

Reaction Score
That list is very small, makes a lot of money, and plays in the NBA for FOREVER. Think Brook Lopez, Boban Marjakovic, etc
What in the world are you talking about?

Brook Lopez whose 100 times more offensively skilled than Clingan and was drafted 15 years ago?

Boban Marganavic who checks notes went undrafted and signed a FA deal for less than what Clingan will probably make this year with NIL money and averages less than 9 mins per game for his career...

Zach Edey whose currently maybe the most dominant big man in college basketball and has an extremely similar skill set to DC has draft analysts saying he might be a 2nd round pick...

What are you talking about. The classic big center in the NBA is dead and has been dead for a while. Please list me the 7 footers who've been drafted in the first round over the last decade who didn't shoot threes at a reasonably high clip.

Donovan Clingan will play in the league someday but it's not going to be soon and he's probably never going to play a big role on an NBA team unless he can consistently knock down perimeter shots.

Why do we have to do this with every player? Completely over rate the way their talent projects at the next level.

Reaction Score
Andy Katz had us 36 in his pre season poll. How’s that fee now Andy?
Where did you rank Purdue in the pre-season?

This stuff is hard. Pre-season rankings were pretty reasonable on UConn. A lot of things had to go right and they lost 4 out of their top 5 scorers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom