Clingan max out minutes prob 26-28 | The Boneyard

Clingan max out minutes prob 26-28

Reaction Score
Kind of what they did with adama last year
keeping him fresh as possible and keeping injury possibilities as low as possible

I liked that he took 15 shots--he was aggressive and most nights thats 58/62%imho

That gives samson 12-14 minutes not to go back on year in time but will we see 3-4 minutes of johnson and clingan together?

Reaction Score
The minutes he gets will be an interesting thing to watch. In big games I could see him averaging 30 minutes. Depends on how dominant he is, and how well Johnson winds up performing. Only playing Adama 26-28 was a luxury last year because going to Clingan was almost no dropoff. Not true this year.

Reaction Score
The minutes he gets will be an interesting thing to watch. In big games I could see him averaging 30 minutes. Depends on how dominant he is, and how well Johnson winds up performing. Only playing Adama 26-28 was a luxury last year because going to Clingan was almost no dropoff. Not true this year.
No samson Johnson is a really good sub

Reaction Score
Johnson has proven he can roll to the basket and dunk very well against teams that don't have rim protection. His defense so far has been passible but not noteworthy. The jury will be out for a while against other front lines. On the brighter side, some teams like Duke haven't got much at backup center, and some teams like Providence are so fast that it plays to Samson's strength as a rim running athlete. Other teams like Indiana have skinny bigs that aren't going to post him up with power. I'd love to know if he can hold his own against Donovan in practice. By Dec 6th we'll know if we have a 1-2 punch already, or how close we are.

Reaction Score
No samson Johnson is a really good sub
He is a good sub. But it’s certainly not the same punishing duo we had last year -where we could wear teams out by the 4 th quarter. That was unusual ( and fun to watch). I am hoping for “ really good” just like everyone here.
Very interested to see a step up in quality of the teams we play and who rises to the occasion!

Reaction Score
An observation on Clingan - he needs to be more still/calm. He does a lot of jumping for upfakes, trying to move his feet and stay with smaller guys. He needs to settle in and just be confident his size will smother their movement(narrator voice: it will) or let them shoot over him (good luck). This will not only lower his risk of injury/foul trouble by being on balance more, but also help him rest. Much easier to float/stand around in paint than try and move your feet and mirror little guys.

I know this is sacrilege - but its one area where Kaulkbrenner really does a great job. His body positioning and off-ball movement is very quiet/efficient.

Reaction Score
I always heard good things about Samson Johnson’s practice performance.
My guess is Donovan’s minutes expectations have changed due to recovering from his foot injury. Makes sense to be conservative, which will be challenging given our difficult early season schedule.
Again, lots we can learn about the wisdom of Jim Calhoun playing an elite OOC game in late January/early February. That gives you another shot in your post season ranking if you get off to a slow start, have a young team or have a key early season injury. I know there are counter arguments regarding conferences getting bigger etc, but we are talking one game.

Reaction Score
my number one question coming out of these first two games: what's going to happen if (when?) samson gets into foul trouble against a legit team?

are we going to ride donovan? go small with karaban? trust singare?
Depends on the opponent. We had his exactly happen again Northern Arizona and did go small with Karaban. So if/when we are in a situation where the other team doesn’t have anyone bigger than 6’8, I’m sure we can get away with it for a time and even dial up some defensive pressure.

I don’t see us riding Clingan, especially not early in the season while one would worry about his foot. Once he gets gassed, he’s obviously not as effective and will get taken advantage of. I just don’t see him playing more than 30 minutes much if at all. It comes down to Samson being smart about his defense. I don’t see why Singare can’t, in a pinch, play for 5 minutes or so. He at least has 5 fouls of his own to use; and once Clingan leaves this spring, he’s going to be the sub. He needs to start getting experience. Was kind of surprised to see him only come in really late on Saturday.

Reaction Score
An observation on Clingan - he needs to be more still/calm. He does a lot of jumping for upfakes, trying to move his feet and stay with smaller guys. He needs to settle in and just be confident his size will smother their movement(narrator voice: it will) or let them shoot over him (good luck). This will not only lower his risk of injury/foul trouble by being on balance more, but also help him rest. Much easier to float/stand around in paint than try and move your feet and mirror little guys.

I know this is sacrilege - but its one area where Kaulkbrenner really does a great job. His body positioning and off-ball movement is very quiet/efficient.
Part of that is Hurley’s high hedge defense and despite the success last season - don’t get me started - cuz I would sound silly given the final result - LOL

Reaction Score
Johnson has proven he can roll to the basket and dunk very well against teams that don't have rim protection. His defense so far has been passible but not noteworthy. The jury will be out for a while against other front lines. On the brighter side, some teams like Duke haven't got much at backup center, and some teams like Providence are so fast that it plays to Samson's strength as a rim running athlete. Other teams like Indiana have skinny bigs that aren't going to post him up with power. I'd love to know if he can hold his own against Donovan in practice. By Dec 6th we'll know if we have a 1-2 punch already, or how close we are.
I think Indiana will be a good test for him. Overall they suck but they do have a bit talented frontline with Ware and Mgbako. Seeing how he matches up with them will be interesting. If nothing else those 2 both have NBA bodies

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
my number one question coming out of these first two games: what's going to happen if (when?) samson gets into foul trouble against a legit team?

More worried about if Clingan and our front court gets in foul trouble.

Seems like we’re deeper at the 1-3 than the 4 & 5.

How many bruisers do we play against that may give Samson problems if he’s needed for extended minutes?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

I think if you put the right pieces around Singare, he’ll only have to worry about not fouling on defense and rebounding. Would be great to use him to spare Johnson and Clingan at times

Reaction Score
I think it’s going to be interesting once conference play is rolling to see how Donovan carries the load. Can he be that dump the ball down and get a bucket guy Adama was his JR year as a sophomore? Against good teams 2-3 times a week?
I’m not sold at this point he doesn’t need another year.
Adama really came on his JR year.

Reaction Score
Part of that is Hurley’s high hedge defense and despite the success last season - don’t get me started - cuz I would sound silly given the final result - LOL

Yes, you would.

Also silly because DC doesn't hedge. He drops. It's a different scheme with DC in the game than it was for Adama. Samson Hedges.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it’s going to be interesting once conference play is rolling to see how Donovan carries the load. Can he be that dump the ball down and get a bucket guy Adama was his JR year as a sophomore? Against good teams 2-3 times a week?
I think so, so long as he does his work early so that he's in a good position when he receives the ball. So far, he tends to let himself get shoved under the basket where he is less effective. That's an easy enough thing to fix though.

Reaction Score
We're 2 games into the season.
Of course he needs another year. It's this one. We have like 35 games left.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Donovan will not be as good a back to the basket scorer as Adama was, but he doesn't have to be. He's a different type of player. He is so disruptive and so huge in the paint that he can overwhelm defenders with his size. He should also catch approximately 10,000 alley-oops this year.

Reaction Score
Hey it’s 2 games into a season that is a tough start for Donovan. He missed a month and quite honestly he’s looked it thus far, which is fine. Agree with the post he needs to stay on his feet as well as just keep his hands up on D rather than rush out to defend perimeter players. He’s been caught well outside of the lane a few times which means he’s not there to rebound or block/alter put backs. His feet aren’t as quick right now moving to cover anyone either. He needs time and I’m sure it will all be fine he proved so last year.

Reaction Score

Well to his credit Hurley moved from High Hedge to drop coverage when Clingan was in and was incredibly effective. like historically effective.

He is now experimenting with keeping Clingan in the middle of a 131 but holy cow that looked terrible. It takes away our biggest strength (length) and lets little guys get into the seams off the dribble and carve us up and makes CLingan move wayyyy to much. Just... no. Stop. Drop coverage Man. It was literally the most efficient D in the country by miles when Clingan was in the game.

Reaction Score
I would play Clingan no more than 8-10 minutes in the first half. Keep him fresher, foul free and more disruptive in the second half after our opponent has made their adjustments. Give Johnson as many minutes as possible in the first half of the season.

Reaction Score

I actually think this affects him on offense just as much or maybe even more. It seems like he's got a habit of rushing when he thinks he has a good look. I think he probably wants to avoid giving the defense time to bring the double team, but sometimes it seems like its coming at the expense of taking that half second to get his feet set and find the rim.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom