Clingan Expectations - Year 1 and Career | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Clingan Expectations - Year 1 and Career

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I can see him playing more minutes against big squads that play multiple bigs. Outside of that I can’t see him getting much time this year.

Reaction Score
If Castle reclasses to only get 10 mins a game we have failed him horribly.
completely agree. at 6'6 forgot to give him minutes playing off ball...goes to show we only have a spot in the rotation for 1 more good transfer G if castle reclasses.

Newton 30- Castle 10
Hawk 10- Transfer 20- Castle 10
Jackson 25- Hawk 15
Samson 15- Karaban 15- Jackson 5- Springs 5
Sanogo 30- Samson 5- Clingan 5

30- newton, jackson, sanogo
25- hawkins
20- castle, transfer, samson
15- karaban
5- springs, clingan

Reaction Score
I expect that this year he will be a 10 minutes a game guy, I really do not want to see him and Sanogo on the court together and I hope that Sanogo plays 30 minutes a game. Would like to see him get more minutes when we are up big in games as well. Going forward we have to have high hopes for him I think. Would imagine with his recruiting ranking, his size and his skill we are hoping he is an all conference player as a junior.
I think DC at high post, and Adama down low on offense might work pretty well. Who knows on defense. It depends on what Danny is willing to do.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
completely agree. at 6'6 forgot to give him minutes playing off ball...goes to show we only have a spot in the rotation for 1 more good transfer G if castle reclasses.

Newton 30- Castle 10
Hawk 10- Transfer 20- Castle 10
Jackson 25- Hawk 15
Samson 15- Karaban 15- Jackson 5- Springs 5
Sanogo 30- Samson 5- Clingan 5

30- newton, jackson, sanogo
25- hawkins
20- castle, transfer, samson
15- karaban
5- springs, clingan
I think Karaban is going to play the 3 spot as much or more than 4. But yes, if Castle comes back there is just room for one more that actually plays. Hurley mentioned “developmental guys” for a reason, we need bench guys that don‘t expect to play right now.

Reaction Score
I think Karaban is going to play the 3 spot as much or more than 4. But yes, if Castle comes back there is just room for one more that actually plays. Hurley mentioned “developmental guys” for a reason, we need bench guys that don‘t expect to play right now.
you dont like jackson at PF so are you expecting samson to play 30 mpg? or do you think springs is going to play 10-15 mpg?? those are the only other options. without akok we need karaban at PF more than on the wing, which is fine.

besides, moving karaban to the wing would also mean less PT for the 5 Gs and we gotta sell the transfer G we still need on at least 20 mpg.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I give DH a lot of grief on this board but I actually don’t mind him not playing freshmen if he doesn’t think they can help the team now, hurt feelings and transfer portal thoughts be damned.

If Clingan can get up to speed, ideally he’d be a great backup to Sanogo drawing fouls and finishing in the lane. I think the college game will be too fast for him initially though, and I think he’ll hugely benefit quickness and lateral speed wise being in a college s&c program.

If we get anything more than garbage time minutes against the punching bags and 8/9th man in the rotation next year from DC that would be great. I think he’s going to be all conference someday, but awhile down the road. Excited to see the board freak out next year when he’s not playing 15+ a game though
Thank you for the first paragraph here. Not a single person here wanted Gaffney to get more playing time in January when his play was killing us and we lost some close games. Not a single person here wanted Gaffney to get more playing time so he would be ready to take the reigns this year, or even so he wouldn’t transfer out.

The coach gets paid to try to win games. The best players, who are playing, want to win games. I expect Donovan to play this year backup minutes, but he will have to earn them.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the first paragraph here. Not a single person here wanted Gaffney to get more playing time in January when his play was killing us and we lost some close games. Not a single person here wanted Gaffney to get more playing time so he would be ready to take the reigns this year, or even so he wouldn’t transfer out.
That's simply not true...there were definitely posters who wanted Gaffney to play more, there were even posters who thought he would be UConn's starting point guard next season.

Reaction Score
I’ll admit that Creighton really exploited us that game. Our defense has some rough performances in big games - really big games, at that - but more teams struggled against our defense than took advantage of it. Our opponents shot 42.6% from two against us, which was fourth best in the nation. And we were fourth in the nation in block percentage. So most players didn’t get unguarded pick and rolls like Kalkbrenner. Opponents shot too well from three against us, but we were way above average at preventing three-point attempts in the first place. I think we need to be able to adjust when a team is well-equipped to handle the hard hedge, and we need to play to our personnel’s strengths more, but let’s not pretend we didn’t have awesome defensive performances.

This. You’d read some of the genuis’s discussions of the high hedge and assume we were an awful defensive team. As if zone, or a switching man to man, or any other defense would work every single time against every single opponent.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
you dont like jackson at PF so are you expecting samson to play 30 mpg? or do you think springs is going to play 10-15 mpg?? those are the only other options. without akok we need karaban at PF more than on the wing, which is fine.

besides, moving karaban to the wing would also mean less PT for the 5 Gs and we gotta sell the transfer G we still need on at least 20 mpg.
Karaban can get 10 at PF with Springs getting 5 and Johnson 25. There are only two guards on the roster, unless you count Jackson. We aren’t going to have 5 guards who play. I expect a transfer at forward, because we are relying awfully heavily on Karaban being ready, and that’s not wise. Whoever that is will probably determine whether Karaban plays more 3 or 4. It doesn’t matter really.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to give Clingan some minutes in most games to spell Adama, and, get Donovan's feet wet. I think he can contribute offensively, but I expect him to be foul prone defensively and that his stints will be shorter than desired as a result. I doubt he will initially be able to play more than 3-4 minutes in a half without picking up 2 fouls. My freshman expectations are 6-8 minutes a game, 4 pts, 1 Asst, 3 rb, 4 pf, 1 blk, 2 TO's. Unfortunately, that leaves us playing a third center for 4-6 minutes a game to prevent Adama from tiring.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if he plays at all next year. he needs to lose another 30 pounds to be able to play more than half court game against D-1 athletes. Red shirt, get in shape enough to play both ends and maybe in a couple years can start and provide 20+ mins

Reaction Score
Karaban can get 10 at PF with Springs getting 5 and Johnson 25. There are only two guards on the roster, unless you count Jackson. We aren’t going to have 5 guards who play. I expect a transfer at forward, because we are relying awfully heavily on Karaban being ready, and that’s not wise. Whoever that is will probably determine whether Karaban plays more 3 or 4. It doesn’t matter really.
If you have Karaban getting 10 mpg at The 4 and equal or more minutes at the 3 then you have him playing more than me.

But Youre definitely in the minority who dont think we should/will bring in 2 more Gs that can contribute right away. Even if castle reclasses we’ll have 3 ball handlers and 2 guys that can get their own shot. Need 1 more guy that can do both.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, that leaves us playing a third center for 4-6 minutes a game to prevent Adama from tiring.
Samson? Springs in a pinch?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If you have Karaban getting 10 mpg at The 4 and equal or more minutes at the 3 then you have him playing more than me.

But Youre definitely in the minority who dont think we should/will bring in 2 more Gs that can contribute right away. Even if castle reclasses we’ll have 3 ball handlers and 2 guys that can get their own shot. Need 1 more guy that can do both.
I'm not saying we shouldn't. I'm saying we won't be able to. If Castle reclasses, we will be lucky to get one more quality guard. On the other hand, if you treat Jackson as a guard, we can probably bring in a small forward. I have Karaban with so many minutes because right now, who else is going to fill them?

I'm amazed how many people think that a player that's better than Gaffney, is going to transfer away from a starting or high minute job to be the 4th or 5th guy in our guard rotation. Hurley mentioned developmental guys, because I think he knows that extra guard needs to be a 5-7 minute a game depth piece.

Reaction Score
Samson? Springs in a pinch?
Probably Richie. He could hold it down for 5 minutes if we need. We have so much size everywhere else that even if he is slightly undersized (although I think he's taller than Sanogo?) it won't matter too much

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Probably Richie. He could hold it down for 5 minutes if we need. We have so much size everywhere else that even if he is slightly undersized (although I think he's taller than Sanogo?) it won't matter too much
I expect Samson, not Clingan, to be the primary backup 5. But I doubt Dan even knows until he fills out the roster. I've even expect Johnson to be the starting center in 23-24 over Clingan. Which is why I think we need more forwards.

Reaction Score
Castle said yesterday he’s going to be one and done. I don’t think he even reclasses at this point unless he is starting.
Hawkins never said it but many here said one and done. Then the Big East happened,

Reaction Score
I expect Samson, not Clingan, to be the primary backup 5. But I doubt Dan even knows until he fills out the roster. I've even expect Johnson to be the starting center in 23-24 over Clingan. Which is why I think we need more forwards.
“It’ll be exciting for Alex and Samson and Donovan,” coach Dan Hurley said Thursday at the Werth Champions Center. “These are high-level recruits for us. They’re going to get a chance to go out there and play"

Primary backup, maybe. But Clingan will be getting minutes. And if Johnson is playing the 5, then you have to have Jackson playing the 4. Which I think you just said on the other thread was stupid...lol

Reaction Score
Hawkins never said it but many here said one and done. Then the Big East happened,
There's a pretty big difference between a player saying "I am going to be a one and done" and people on the BY saying it about a player.

Reaction Score
I'm amazed how many people think that a player that's better than Gaffney, is going to transfer away from a starting or high minute job to be the 4th or 5th guy in our guard rotation. Hurley mentioned developmental guys, because I think he knows that extra guard needs to be a 5-7 minute a game depth piece.
A player can be better than Gaffney (very low bar) without leaving a starting or high minute job. I also think you're basing the PT available based on Gaffney's PT last year, but in a perfect world, you would have had far more PT coming from that backup PG. The issue was that he was so bad on the court that Hurley just couldn't afford to keep Cole on the bench.

Reaction Score
Samson did not look uncomfortable shooting from the outside and has a nice shot. I don't see him as a 5 here. I could see Springs or Clingan giving Adama a rest and getting into the mix. You never know when a player turns an ankle or has a groin injury and is out for a few games. People were calling for someone to run the baseline last year and Samson would be a good candidate for that. That leaves Jackson, Newton, Hawkins and Karaban to be at the 1 through 3 roles. Need one more player for that group.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
“It’ll be exciting for Alex and Samson and Donovan,” coach Dan Hurley said Thursday at the Werth Champions Center. “These are high-level recruits for us. They’re going to get a chance to go out there and play"

Primary backup, maybe. But Clingan will be getting minutes. And if Johnson is playing the 5, then you have to have Jackson playing the 4. Which I think you just said on the other thread was stupid...lol
Karaban can play the 4. And Springs. I think Johnson is the starting 4, but also backup 5 when we go smaller. He is a very good baseline runner and dunker based on his HS tape. He can hit 3s. But as I said, we need another guard and another forward. If Dan sees Karaban as a 4, then that other "forward" is a wing, someone like Martin. If not, then we need a stretch 4, big 3 (like Karaban). Can never have too many of those guys really. We need another shooter with size.

I think we are all mostly saying similar things. We need flexible pieces that can play multiple positions. Some people are interpreting the 4 out as 4 guards and a center. I'm interpreting it more as 4 guys who are 6,5"-6'9" who can shoot at the 1-4 and a center. Some of those guys need a little bulk and/or length to handle interior defense. Who is really playing what position? It's almost irrelevant. I expect Andre to have the ball up top on offense at least as much as Newton.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom