Clingan and Karaban | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clingan and Karaban

Reaction Score
@NJHoops I really don't see what opponents can do with Clingan to make him less effective, because we aren't running offense through him to distribute or to post up. He is getting rebounds and putbacks, as well as feeds when their defense is already broken down and his defender needs to help. Maybe trying to entice him into foul trouble? (Not playing freshman enough mantra applies to me with Floyd, Diggins, Johnson. I'll eat crow on that complaint and enjoy the feathers)
And teams already are trying this, but in literally 5 games the coaching staff got Clingan to stop biting fakes and start blocking shots flat footed. Speaks to how great our coaches are and how amazing a kid DC is, he and Alex are sponges! I know they will have freshmen moments and even full games where they can’t get it together, but wow what gems we got

Reaction Score
Time was spent on this board lamenting Clingnan's decision to stay at Bristol HS rather than getting a higher level of competition at the prep school level. This is obviously a non-issue. His play has shown an amazing basketball IQ and fundamentals, but along with comes a calm demeanor and the ability to understand his role on the team. Karaban has the same level of hoops IQ and a full skill set that will be special to watch develop. Based on their performance, both were woefully underrated as recruits.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Absolutely. It must be kind of demoralizing to the other team to put so much effort into carrying out their defensive scheme against Adama, only to have Donovan pop off the bench, fresh as can be and ready to battle.
Yeah and even though they’re both fives they are different kinds of a threat. Adama is going to power his way in and back you down while clinging is much more dangerous above the rim. The thing is, it’s unrelenting and in less opposing teams have incredible front court depth they are going to be worn down by the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Donovan’s next adjustment will come when he becomes the target for the other team’s defensive plan. Right now, Adama gets a lot of that attention. Donovan’s been taking some people by surprise, but you think that has to end with his performance in Portland.
True, but it's got to be complicated to game plan for two such different skill sets, styles of play and sizes.
Hopefully very complicated and impossible!

Reaction Score
Time was spent on this board lamenting Clingnan's decision to stay at Bristol HS rather than getting a higher level of competition at the prep school level. This is obviously a non-issue. His play has shown an amazing basketball IQ and fundamentals, but along with comes a calm demeanor and the ability to understand his role on the team. Karaban has the same level of hoops IQ and a full skill set that will be special to watch develop. Based on their performance, both were woefully underrated as recruits.
Thank God the coaches listened to Ricker!

Reaction Score
Donovan’s next adjustment will come when he becomes the target for the other team’s defensive plan. Right now, Adama gets a lot of that attention. Donovan’s been taking some people by surprise, but you think that has to end with his performance in Portland.
He’s great at passing out to shooters should he be doubled, much better than Sanogo. Let them pack him in.

Reaction Score
Not just starting caliber players, these are two upper echelon P5 starters as freshmen.

And not just any freshmen, they were both outside the top 50.

Clingan was always going to be hard to rate, and frankly he didn't look this good in HS even when he did play better AAU teams a few times. His improvement has just been rapid. Credit to the staff and Donovan for putting in the work. Biggest differences I see are defensive IQ and his strength and conditioning.

Karaban was criminally underrated. People were ranking him based on his athleticism and not his production. He outplayed 5-stars in AAU time and time again, but people didn't want to respect it. Production is production is production.

Reaction Score
Good luck doubling, with his passing he'll pick teams apart.

Reaction Score
He's not a CT. kid, he's just at South Kent for the year.
I know this is a me-problem, but I want to gouge out my eyeballs every time I see the period included in "CT."

Reaction Score
I agree that eventually teams will start to seriously game plan for Donovan but how lucky are we that these teams have to deal with not one but TWO very skilled big men
Forty minutes of hell for opposing frontcourts

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
@NJHoops (Not playing freshman enough mantra applies to me with Floyd, Diggins, Johnson. I'll eat crow on that complaint and enjoy the feathers)
Yeah, I think a lot of us are eating crow on Hurley's coaching - clearly with a squad he's chosen with the skills he wants he knows what to do. You know what, it's a delicious meal.

True, but it's got to be complicated to game plan for two such different skill sets, styles of play and sizes.
I think this is huge - when they swap the whole tempo of changes and that has been hard for our opponents to deal with quicky if at all.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think a lot of us are eating crow on Hurley's coaching - clearly with a squad he's chosen with the skills he wants he knows what to do. You know what, it's a delicious meal.

I just want them to win and for everyone (well, almost everyone, there are always going to be malcontents) to be happy with the program where it is and where it is headed. A big ask, I know, but it’s really fun right now.

Reaction Score
You have two ways to look at their minutes:

• Is this consistent with what Hurley has done here (cf. Hawkins, Bouknight, Sanogo, Jackson)?
  • Is this a response to the mass exodus last year?

My guess is that it's the former and that some of our recruits couldn't really play as much as we would have liked them to have. Other than waiting too long on Sanogo, I think he's shown that he'll play whomever he considers to be the best players.

Reaction Score
That was my first post of the season so I’m not sure where the bipolarism exists.
Well, first off, I didn't say you were bi-polar. I said this place was. Next week, when we drop a game we shouldn't, there'll be "Hurley isn't the right guy for the job" posts.

If you want me to be more specific to your post? It's absolutely ridiculous to say this is becoming one of your favorite teams after a handful of cupcakes and a "good" tourney weekend.

Reaction Score
Well, first off, I didn't say you were bi-polar. I said this place was. Next week, when we drop a game we shouldn't, there'll be "Hurley isn't the right guy for the job" posts.

If you want me to be more specific to your post? It's absolutely ridiculous to say this is becoming one of your favorite teams after a handful of cupcakes and a "good" tourney weekend.
They aren't dropping a game next week.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
They aren't dropping a game next week.
Hes not predicting we’ll drop a game next week. He’s saying even though Kenpom indicates we will be favored in all but one (for which we ll be a one point dog) of our remaining regular season games, we are likely going to drop a few at the very least. And when those happen some idiots are going to put Hurley back on the hot seat they had him on just a couple weeks ago.

If we perform in the regular season like Kembas 2011 team did after winning Maui, some ppl on here will undoubtedly start jumping from the top floor.

Ppl went from saying Hurley can’t cut it to we prefer him to a big ten invite due to a 3 game stretch in November.

Reaction Score
Hes not predicting we’ll drop a game next week. He’s saying even though Kenpom indicates we will be favored in all but one (for which we ll be a one point dog) of our remaining regular season games, we are likely going to drop a few at the very least. And when those happen some idiots are going to put Hurley back on the hot seat they had him on just a couple weeks ago.

If we perform in the regular season like Kembas 2011 team did after winning Maui, some ppl on here will undoubtedly start jumping from the top floor.

Ppl went from saying Hurley can’t cut it to we prefer him to a big ten invite due to a 3 game stretch in November.
Next week, when we drop a game we shouldn't, there'll be "Hurley isn't the right guy for the job" posts.
Yes, if UConn has the same regular season record they did in 2011 fans will have every right to be disappointed/pissed.

Poe

Reaction Score

In addition to game planning for two players is the fact that teams are getting gassed. We’re throwing out 9 starting players out there with different complementary skill sets. Based on these 3 double digits wins against teams that are actually pretty good, it looks like teams are going to struggle to keep up for 40 minutes.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
the point is still valid. people are out and then back in on guys on a possession to possession basis, let alone game to game.
images

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In addition to game planning for two players is the fact that teams are getting gassed.
Like Walton said, when you keep coming back but you never really get there, it takes a lot out of you. That's why we're crushing late.

Walton had a great game .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom