Clingan 6th to the Hornets... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clingan 6th to the Hornets...

Reaction Score
no but one of my best friends does. i heard over and over during the finals last year how denver and miami were small tv markets so casual fans didnt care as much, yet they both dwarf memphis. there's a reason they only have 1 pro team. market size matters for ratings and exposure. the bigger markets get more national coverage. so memphis has crowds, great, it's not hard to fill a 20k bball arena if the team is decent. and being a good role model is a HUGE part of being a good teammate, especially for rookies.
I don't let market size dictate how I enjoy the NBA, the Finals sucked last year because the Heat were overmatched, not because of the cities. It's 2024, you can exposure anywhere, before his self sabotage Ja was being positioned as the next young face of the league and had his own Nike signature shoe, all while playing in Memphis. Anthony Edwards plays in Minnesota and is also now being pushed as the next face of the league and has one of the most popular signature shoes in the league right now.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
F Charlotte

They were given the Whalers with backdoor politics enabled by Lowell Weiker's incompetence, and then they choose our beloved huskies to go disappear into oblivion

There's no city I can dislike more

Reaction Score
no but one of my best friends does. i heard over and over during the finals last year how denver and miami were small tv markets so casual fans didnt care as much, yet they both dwarf memphis. there's a reason they only have 1 pro team. market size matters for ratings and exposure. the bigger markets get more national coverage. so memphis has crowds, great, it's not hard to fill a 20k bball arena if the team is decent. and being a good role model is a HUGE part of being a good teammate, especially for rookies.
And even if all of that is true, that has zero impact on Castle or Clingan developing in Memphis. They're not going to fail in the NBA because they're playing for a good team in a small market. The only thing you mention that has any effect is Ja, and are you really worried about Steph or Donovan being negatively influenced by him? Someone like Bouknight sure

Reaction Score
F Charlotte

They were given the Whalers with backdoor politics enabled by Lowell Weiker's incompetence, and then they choose our beloved huskies to go disappear into oblivion

There's no city I can dislike more
Easy there buddy. As a CT native and now Charlotte resident I feel I have the obligation to set the record straight. The Whalers moved to Raleigh, NC. Nothing to do with Charlotte. Your anger is misplaced by about 150 miles.

To be fair, I agree on not wanting our guys going to a mess of an organization but Kemba did thrive here and make a ton of money so it’s not impossible.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We had one player who earned all NBA while he was there. One player who didn't quite fit in but found success with other teams and one player who was a complete train wreck since high school, his troubles hidden at UConn and then blew up when on his own with some cash in his pocket (along with a handgun).
Yeah, it's all on the Hornets
This is OT and I apologize but does anyone know what Bouk is doing these days? I know he was on campus early in the Spring

Reaction Score
I don't let market size dictate how I enjoy the NBA, the Finals sucked last year because the Heat were overmatched, not because of the cities. It's 2024, you can exposure anywhere, before his self sabotage Ja was being positioned as the next young face of the league and had his own Nike signature shoe, all while playing in Memphis. Anthony Edwards plays in Minnesota and is also now being pushed as the next face of the league and has one of the most popular signature shoes in the league right now.
sure a talent like ja can overcome the tv market theyre in. the best comps would be durant and westbrook in okc, which is still slightly bigger than memphis (46th versus 52nd), but minnesota is not a small market it's 15th. it's harder for non-all stars to get national exposure if they are in a small market. the casual fan has heard of the other 2 nova knicks by now ie Josh and Donte but they dont know who desmond bane is even tho he's much better than both those guys. this is just common sense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And even if all of that is true, that has zero impact on Castle or Clingan developing in Memphis
i didnt claim otherwise outside of ja and his posse being a bad influence

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i didnt claim that it would outside of ja and his posse being a bad influence
If it's not gonna impact them then why should I care? Not trying to be an ass, I just genuinely don't understand your point with them ending up in Memphis being a bad thing

Reaction Score
If it's not gonna impact them then why should I care? Not trying to be an ass, I just genuinely don't understand your point with them ending up in Memphis being a bad thing
see my last post on marketability. i want UConn nba players to be famous around the world even if theyre not all-stars.

Reaction Score
ja could potentially influence them negatively. see my last post on marketability. i want UConn nba players to be famous around the world.
I have to be honest, I think you're just dead wrong on this. In other sports maybe, but in terms of marketability in the NBA I don't think it really matters. The best way to have UConn NBA players become known is to get them on great teams and making deep runs. That's why Desmond Bane is absolutely more well known than DiVincenzo and Hart

Reaction Score
new ownership new team. brandon miller was ROY runner up. no issues with charlotte anymore.

i'm only worried about castle falling to memphis. ja is a terrible teammate and memphis is a ishhole. it's the smallest tv market in the league and never should have gotten a team to begin with. they should relocate to Kansas City since seattle and vegas are getting expansion teams.
There's no disputing Memphis is a failed city, the smallest NBA market, and Ja let down all his teammates but Memphis was pretty successful before all of Ja's ridiculous off the court antics.

The Hornets have always sucked.

Reaction Score
They could turn it around at some point. The Chicago Bulls were once a terrible franchise. The Knicks recently completed 20 years of mismanagement.

If they did draft Clingan, guess which team would start having Hurley rumors.

Unfortunately, the Knicks did not turn it around, they had a good year, but were negatively impacted by injuries. I am a big Knick fan and I have hope, but never underestimate the ability of Dolan to f things up.

Reaction Score

Hart is ranked 76th in IG followers and Bane is 171st. i'm primarily chalking that up to one guy playing in NYC and another in Memphis. you got another objective measurement to go on?
Instagram followers, seriously? By that logic Lonzo Ball is one of the biggest stars in the NBA and the casual fans know him over stars in big markets like Kevin Durant and Joel Embiid too right?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They were given the Whalers with backdoor politics enabled by Lowell Weiker's incompetence..
Unfortunately, it was actually his competence. The group he wanted won the bid. And he ended up on the Compuware Board of Directors for over a decade.

Reaction Score
Instagram followers, seriously? By that logic Lonzo Ball is one of the biggest stars in the NBA and the casual fans know him over stars in big markets like Kevin Durant and Joel Embiid too right?
like i said i have no other metrics to pull from but i didnt realize it was controversial to say that the nba markets it's big market teams more than its small market teams. the nba would prefer a dallas v boston finals to a memphis v milwaukee finals and rightfully so. it's not the nfl where casual fans would still tune in for a greenbay v buffalo superbowl. anyways, that marketability trickles down to the players on those teams with some obvious exceptions as already mentioned.

Reaction Score

Hart is ranked 76th in IG followers and Bane is 171st. i'm primarily chalking that up to one guy playing in NYC and another in Memphis. you got another objective measurement to go on?
Josh Hart has an extremely successful podcast with Jalen Brunson that gets shared all over twitter on a weekly basis. There are a million reasons guys with NBA level publicity have followers that have nothing to do with the size of the market they play their home games in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom