OT: - Cliff Robinson | The Boneyard

OT: Cliff Robinson

Reaction Score
When Clifford and Phil Gamble had their academic issues the Athletic Dept. and the one-man counseling program (at that time) hired my wife (who was in graduate school working with Betty Remigino and the track team) to tutor them back to eligibility. Both young men were terrific kids who wanted to do well in school. Clifford despite his surly exterior was an unbelievably pleasant, social young man who was VERY intelligent. They both regained their eligibility, returned to play and actually won the NIT under the new,young coach Jim Calhoun the next year, I believe. Clifford went on to have a stellar NBA career while raising his daughter as a single parent. All of his successes were well deserved and could not have happened to a nicer young man. This is a terrible loss to his family, UConn nation and to anyone with even peripheral contact with a fabulous human being like Clifford.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When Clifford and Phil Gamble had their academic issues the Athletic Dept. and the one-man counseling program (at that time) hired my wife (who was in graduate school working with Betty Remigino and the track team) to tutor them back to eligibility. Both young men were terrific kids who wanted to do well in school. Clifford despite his surly exterior was an unbelievably pleasant, social young man who was VERY intelligent. They both regained their eligibility, returned to play and actually won the NIT under the new,young coach Jim Calhoun the next year, I believe. Clifford when on to have a stellar NBA career while raising his daughter as a single parent. All of his successes were well deserved and could not have happened to a nicer young man. This is a terrible loss to his family, UConn nation and to anyone with even peripheral contact with a fabulous human being like Clifford.
[/QUOTE
Kurebeach, thank you for that portrait of Clifford as something other than just another player. He was an integral part of the growth of the Uconn basketball program and a great example of how people can succeed when given a second chance. RIP, Clifford.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was a big Blazers fan when he entered the league. Very sad news.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Uncle Cliff played a long time. I think he was 13th in NBA history in games played.

RIP!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom