Clemson's Football guru reporting B12 deal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clemson's Football guru reporting B12 deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And what is your alternative? You prefer playing SMU and Memphis vs. Syracuse, Maryland, Miami, BCU, UNC, Wake etc?

Good grief.
I prefer holding out and going somewhere better!

"The fact that Georgia Tech is talking with the Big 12 gives you a pretty good idea as to the future of the ACC. The conference has been out flanked by its peers and will have likely have its work cut out to ensure its survival. It is very likely that you see the SEC make a play for two ACC institutions. One is likely to be Virginia Tech, the other has long been rumored to be North Carolina State. The Big 10 has always had an eye on expanding into new markets and the ACC possesses institutions in Duke, UNC, Maryland, and UVA that would pair well with their current culture."

Really, you want to play Wake Forest and BC every year???

Reaction Score

"The fact that Georgia Tech is talking with the Big 12 gives you a pretty good idea as to the future of the ACC. The conference has been out flanked by its peers and will have likely have its work cut out to ensure its survival. It is very likely that you see the SEC make a play for two ACC institutions. One is likely to be Virginia Tech, the other has long been rumored to be North Carolina State. The Big 10 has always had an eye on expanding into new markets and the ACC possesses institutions in Duke, UNC, Maryland, and UVA that would pair well with their current culture."

Just because we have been improving and beat you guys the last few times we played doesn't mean you should be afraid to play us.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just because we have been improving and beat you guys the last few times we played doesn't mean you should be afraid to play us.

I'm reminded of that ESPN commercial. Y'know the one where they whisper so the Wake Forest guy doesn't join them?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'd prefer to play WF over all new BE schools except BSU and Navy. We ain't scurred.

Reaction Score

"The fact that Georgia Tech is talking with the Big 12 gives you a pretty good idea as to the future of the ACC. The conference has been out flanked by its peers and will have likely have its work cut out to ensure its survival. "The hunter has now become the hunted". As one poster put it . . . Karma.

It is very likely that you see the SEC make a play for two ACC institutions. One is likely to be Virginia Tech, the other has long been rumored to be North Carolina State. The Big 10 has always had an eye on expanding into new markets and the ACC possesses institutions in Duke, UNC, Maryland, and UVA that would pair well with their current culture." So what? When the music stops there will be UConn, Pitt, Miami, Syracuse, Rutgers, BCU, Cincy, L'Ville, South Florida? Add in Wake Forest and there you have it. Maybe they could call this new conference the The Big East Retro.

You mean as opposed to Buffalo, Temple and Western Michigan? Got something against upgrades?

Somebody, somewhere (Congress? the NCAA, television moguls) needs to stop this conference dating & dumping scenarios. Seen less shuffling at high schools getting reading for the prom.

Reaction Score

Based on what you wrote above, we do not get an invite to either the B12 or B10, so where do we go?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You mean as opposed to Buffalo, Temple and Western Michigan? Got something against upgrades?

Somebody, somewhere (Congress? the NCAA, television moguls) needs to stop this conference dating & dumping scenarios. Seen less shuffling at high schools getting reading for the prom.

Well they can't stop it now or we're screwed. We just need the deck to reshuffle a few more times and we'll be in a better position.

My 'not gonna happen' - 'best case scenario' is that that ACC blows up and lacks the juice to pull anyone else into the rubble. NBC or whoever brokers a new east coast conference out of the smoldering remains. UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutty, BC, USF, Miami, Duke, Maryland, NCst, Wake and the most attractive leftover. Not a powerhouse football conference by any means, but a decent league that makes geographic sense and draws it's value from the # of TVs in the markets it covers. UConn can compete in that league and in time be the big dog. It's pretty solid for basketball as well.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Well they can't stop it now or we're screwed. We just need the deck to reshuffle a few more times and we'll be in a better position.

My 'not gonna happen' - 'best case scenario' is that that ACC blows up and lacks the juice to pull anyone else into the rubble. NBC or whoever brokers a new east coast conference out of the smoldering remains. UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutty, BC, USF, Miami, Duke, Maryland, NCst, Wake and the most attractive leftover. Not a powerhouse football conference by any means, but a decent league that makes geographic sense and draws it's value from the # of TVs in the markets it covers. UConn can compete in that league and in time be the big dog. It's pretty solid for basketball as well.

This would be my hope. I'll go A step further, though: what if ND decides that if it's going to join a conference, it might be better to go with one of it's own design? It partners with NBC, helps create a new 12 team conference ND/BC/UConn/Rutgers/Pitt/Cuse/Duke/UNC/NCSt/MD/Wake/UVA

Reaction Score
This would be my hope. I'll go A step further, though: what if ND decides that if it's going to join a conference, it might be better to go with one of it's own design? It partners with NBC, helps create a new 12 team conference ND/BC/UConn/Rutgers/Pitt/Cuse/Duke/UNC/NCSt/MD/Wake/UVA

As crazy as this scenario appears, as I read it (again) I asked myself, where can ND get the best TV deal. Its possible this league may offer ND the best road to money and relevance, though it would not play to its historical rivalries. They can write their own deal with this league and have 2 games left for rivalries, thou I am not sure who gets dropped. With ND this league also has a seat at the playoff table. Would everyone agree to let ND run the show and take most of the football money, much like Texas?

Reaction Score
So...uh...is this for real or not? This thread is 2 days old and I haven't seen one reputable media outlet report this. Are we starting to source guys like Huskyfandan and going 3 pages on any given rumor (no offense to Huskyfandan).

Reaction Score
As crazy as this scenario appears, as I read it (again) I asked myself, where can ND get the best TV deal. Its possible this league may offer ND the best road to money and relevance, though it would not play to its historical rivalries. They can write their own deal with this league and have 2 games left for rivalries, thou I am not sure who gets dropped. With ND this league also has a seat at the playoff table. Would everyone agree to let ND run the show and take most of the football money, much like Texas?

ND has never been about money. They want independence, they don't want to become just another college football school. Their whole identity is wrapped up in the perception that their school is a national phenomenon. That's what the NBC exclusivity deal affords them. Inside the B12, this wouldn't be true anymore even if they increased $$$.

This is why ND would be headed to the B10, because that contract is $25m+ a year and slated to rise much higher if it includes ND.

Reaction Score
ND has never been about money. They want independence, they don't want to become just another college football school. Their whole identity is wrapped up in the perception that their school is a national phenomenon. That's what the NBC exclusivity deal affords them. Inside the B12, this wouldn't be true anymore even if they increased $$$.

This is why ND would be headed to the B10, because that contract is $25m+ a year and slated to rise much higher if it includes ND.

If ND is about independence and not the money, why would they join the B10 and leverage the contract?

CL82

Reaction Score

Yep and even then it requires two things to happen. 1) NBC would have to not renew it's contract with ND and 2) ND would have to be excluded from post season play without conference affiliation. IF those two things happen, then the B10 is the natural fit, and most $$.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
enhanced-buzz-17103-1291507511-9.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty sighs and says "no cameras"

You do know that cats are highly susceptible to aluminum poisioning don't you?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
https://twitter.com/#!/DaveSittler/status/204252144201777152

Dave Sittler@DaveSittler
Sources: Big 12 expansion breakdown: 4 schools OK with it, 4 on fence, 1 pushing hard to make it happen, 1 pushing hard to prevent it

I saw this last night. Given the vote breakdown a compromise for 12 with the Conference game (ending the mockery of the Big 12 with only 10 teams), and adding FSU/Clemson looks like the only compronise. After going on tilt and adding TCU it would seem like FSU/Clemson is a sane reaction and one Texas could live with. The Texas ego is such I don't see adding Pitt and Louisville rumors (as a swap for Missouri and Texas A&M) as credible.

You could make an argument that the Big 12 will be stronger and more diverse in more of the right markets:

1) Texas A&M - FSU
2) Nebraska - Clemson
3) Missouri - West Virginia
4) Colorado - TCU

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Georgia Tech delivers the Atlanta market like a strip club delivers women you'd want to date.

No one in Atlanta cares about Ga Tech. There are about five schools, including Clemson, that have bigger followings in the ATL.

CL82

Reaction Score
You do know that cats are highly susceptible to aluminum poisioning don't you?

Hmmn, would the symptoms of aluminium poisoning including paranoid delusional thinking and perhaps obsessive college sports forum use?

Reaction Score
So...uh...is this for real or not? This thread is 2 days old and I haven't seen one reputable media outlet report this. Are we starting to source guys like Huskyfandan and going 3 pages on any given rumor (no offense to Huskyfandan).

It's been that way for months. Why change now?

Reaction Score
Would everyone agree to let ND run the show and take most of the football money, much like Texas?

It is amazing how people make weird statements like this. The Big 12 now shares tier 1 & tier 2 money equally. In the past, part of it was divided equally and part was dolled out based on national TV appearances AND under the old scheme, there were a number of years in which Texas didn't make the most Big 12 TV revenue.

Texas never unilaterally imposed rules on the Big 12 or just took more of the money for no reason.

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech delivers the Atlanta market like a strip club delivers women you'd want to date.

No one in Atlanta cares about Ga Tech. There are about five schools, including Clemson, that have bigger followings in the ATL.
Take back what you said about Strip Club Women.

Reaction Score

Please don't assume that you know who I would want to date.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Oliver Luck looking like a genius. Here's the thing that pisses me off. I travel to Lubbock, TX almost every week for work. Nice people but just in the middle of no-where. The fact that they, or Kansas, or Kansas State are in one of the "haves" conferences just blows me away. Congress will intervene in 3-2-1

Compared to what exactly? Mississippi State? Colorado? Oregon State? Iowa? Northwestern? Football is driving the bus, but what really matters is having a program that moves the needle in either basketball or football (both is best). Kansas is one of a handful of basketball programs that moves the ratings needle. K-State has actually been good in both sports for the last several years. Iowa State would be more appropriate if you're looking for a school that "lucked out". Kentucky is very valuable to the SEC despite being terrible at football, because they attract viewers to SEC basketball. Kansas has the same role in the Big 12 (and managed to win an Orange Bowl not long ago).

I do think Congress will step in and the NCAA will be running the football playoffs...either 8, 12 or 16 teams.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Georgia Tech is a Big East Coast Conference team (BECC) waiting to happen. Like Boston College and Wake and Duke and Maryland and Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom