Classless UK Fans | The Boneyard

Classless UK Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was in Houston and Dallas, where we beat UK in both FF. Fans of Butler, VCU, Wisconsin, Florida, were all handshakes and congrats. Just as the Dukes were in Tampa, and San, Antonio. UK fans were sullen, unsmiling, and just nasty.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Not to defend them, but if UConn had lost I would have been equally, perhaps even more bitter.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I was in Houston and Dallas, where we beat UK in both FF. Fans of Butler, VCU, Wisconsin, Florida, were all handshakes and congrats. Just as the Dukes were in Tampa, and San, Antonio. UK fans were sullen, unsmiling, and just nasty.
You should have been in Detroit. Michigan State fans were a special kind of awful.

Reaction Score
You should have been in Detroit. Michigan State fans were a special kind of awful.
I was also in Detroit. After getting blown out in the Final, MS fans had little to say. Minus A knee injury in the Syracuse game, we might have also won in 2009.

Reaction Score
You could have said UK fans or classless. Classless UK fans is redundant.

I actually have a story to this effect. I was in NYC for the Uconn vs. Kentucky game in 2009 where Kentucky beat Uconn. We got onto our Metro-North train to go home, and what would you know, we picked the train car that happened to have two Kentucky fans on it. The two of them were actually Kentucky students, one, lived in Connecticut (I imagine he majored in speaking and blinking at tha' same time), the other, his drunk, hillbilly girlfriend. She, being the chatty type, talked s*** to every single person on our car. My favorite line was "John Calipari will eat your face!" She slurred this line in an accent that was an appalling mix between Midwestern and southern. After a while, all that speaking-talk made her brain cells hurt so she quieted down. About an hour into the ride, she lurched over to the bathroom. About a minute later, I heard her trying to open that darn there tricky bathroom door, but having no success. I smiled to myself, and went back to reading my magazine. Ten minutes later, still unable to open that door, I went to her boyfriend and loudly said "your girlfriend seems to have trapped herself in the bathroom." MTA workers were brought in, and the problem was resolved when they slowly and loudly explained that you had to pull the lever to the left to unlock the bathroom. We gave her a round of applause as she left the bathroom. That is the only Kentucky fan from the region I have ever met, and I hope I meet no others.

Reaction Score
your title is redundant

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I was also in Detroit. After getting blown out in the Final, MS fans had little to say. Minus A knee injury in the Syracuse game, we might have also won in 2009.
For the 48 hours previously they were insufferable. I sold my tickets to the final and watched the game at Hockeytown so I didn't get to revel in their defeat.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I can't generalize about UK fans because I haven't met many. But during the Kemba magical run, we happened to be on the last night of a cruise when we were playing them in the FF semis. The ship actually showed the game on a big screen in the main atrium. There were maybe 3-4 hundred people watching. No exaggeration, maybe 5-10 rooted for UK and the rest were all for UConn, most of whom probably had zero connection to Storrs. The place got very noisy the better our guys played.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For the 48 hours previously they were insufferable. I sold my tickets to the final and watched the game at Hockeytown so I didn't get to revel in their defeat.

MSU fans are the worst. It must have something to do with not being able to get into Michigan. UK fans are awful, but pale in comparison. We sold our tickets and drove home the next day.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wisconsin fan at the FF last year got pissed at me and told me to sit down when I was standing and waiting for UConn to score their first basket. There's s in every fan base, it's difficult to generalize an entire fan base based on the few who you encounter

Not MSU. Not one non- in a sample size of hundreds seems statistically significant to me. On a side note, the best fans I've come across at a FF were from Oklahoma State.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Not MSU. Not one non- in a sample size of hundreds seems statistically significant to me. On a side note, the best fans I've come across at a FF were from Oklahoma State.

To be fair, the fact that it was a "home" game and there was 70,000 MSU fans there made them significantly less tolerable.

Reaction Score

I've been to basketball games with State fans, never had an issue. The ones I were with had a lot of respect to UConn basketball, though did chuckle this year about UConn hockey. If you want to get on their good side, just start complaining about the elitist snots in Ann Arbor and mimic Webber's time out a few times and they will be your friends.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I've been to basketball games with State fans, never had an issue. The ones I were with had a lot of respect to UConn basketball, though did chuckle this year about UConn hockey. If you want to get on their good side, just start complaining about the elitist snots in Ann Arbor and mimic Webber's time out a few times and they will be your friends.
Hey, my son was a student at UM when Webber made that call. I didn't notice MSU playing in that game. ;)

Reaction Score
I've been to the past 3 final fours and only had a problem with drunk MSU fans after they beat us. I had no problems with Kentucky fans in Houston or Dallas.

Reaction Score
"
MSU fans are the worst. It must have something to do with not being able to get into Michigan. UK fans are awful, but pale in comparison."

That's hilarious.

Yeah I spent the rest of the night puking in my hotel room(from too much cheap beer, not from losing), on the phone with the airline to leave on Sunday.

Reaction Score

Wow, lot of orange in San Anton.

Reaction Score
I was both of those too. I couldn't disagree with this more. I met several and they were very courteous. And they are by far the most knowledgable fans in terms of teams, history, etc. There are basically 10x as many UK fans than the other teams so there is a much greater chance a few are jerks. But per capita no more than the other teams.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Speaking of Hockeytown, we were walking by before the game and we get stopped by a couple of MSU fans who said "Look up". We did and there were about 20 dudes hanging over the side of the roof screaming, "You suck, Calhoun cheats, go yourself...". It's kind of funny on reflection.

Reaction Score
I have a story about UK students at last year's final four.

I was lucky enough to be able to get student tickets and get down to Dallas for last year's FF. The way it works for students is that it's first come first serve, and they stick you at a gate so far away that it's almost impossible to find. Anyways, since it's first come first serve, students start lining up pretty early. There are four lines, one per team.

On the day of the championship game I got there with my crew of people, and obviously Kentucky has like 3 times the amount of students that we have. They're in the line furthest away from us. Most of us decided to keep it civil and not to talk s---. Later on, they announced they were opening the gate in like 20 minutes, so we were all like "f--- we have to finish all this booze in 20 mins." Another group of ours just left to get like 2 more 30's too so we didn't know how we were gonna finish it all.

We started to just pass them out throughout our line and even gave some to a few Wisconsin fans who decided to come to the game. Wisconsin students are the best, by the way. We started yelling over to the UK line offering them beer and they literally all just stood there giving us dirty looks and continued to drink their Mike's hard. Yeah, they were drinking Mike's hard. We were just like WTF... okay then. At one point I asked them if they had a water bottle because my idiot ass didn't bring one. One kid takes out a water bottle, shows me it, and then pours it all on the ground. At that point I was just like okay, f--- these kids we're going to destroy their squad of pansies.

Suck it UK. Let's go Badgers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At one point I asked them if they had a water bottle because my idiot ass didn't bring one. One kid takes out a water bottle, shows me it, and then pours it all on the ground.

Wow, that is peak balloon knot

Reaction Score
The first thing I think of when it comes to UK fans is a 400 lb guy with 3 teeth, who will flip out if he doesn't get to eat every 2 minutes. Yes I know I'm stereotyping but I can't help it. Every fan base has their bad apples including ours, MSU fans were total trash at the 09 FF apparently, last years elite 8 against MSU was ultimate revenge not just on the court but for our fan base, it was karma for MSU having to deal with a pro Uconn crowd at MSG.

Reaction Score
Most of the UK fans I have encountered both in person and online have been pretty cool, though even the better ones are pretty infatuated with their own history, though I guess we sort of are too.

There are definitely plenty of obnoxious ones, though, which isn't really too surprising given the bandwagon potential of their fan base. And even the good fans are pretty sensitive.

Reaction Score
Most of the UK fans I have encountered both in person and online have been pretty cool, though even the better ones are pretty infatuated with their own history, though I guess we sort of are too.

There are definitely plenty of obnoxious ones, though, which isn't really too surprising given the bandwagon potential of their fan base. And even the good fans are pretty sensitive.
To find the obnoxious ones just go on their message board and search "uconn"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky