CJ Holmes in Portal again | The Boneyard

CJ Holmes in Portal again

Reaction Score
Former Cheshire Academy RB (from Hamden) started at Notre Dame. Transferred to Penn State. Didn’t see much time either place. I know Randy has stated he doesn’t want transfers, but we’re lacking depth at RB. Our 2 true frosh will most likely get time.

Reaction Score
According to an article. looks like he was dismissed from ND for a Shoplifting arrest, but the charges were subsequently dismissed. Went to Penn State as a walk-on and didn’t see time (his sister was at PSU). Sounds like he’s a bit lost and could use some love, and would be highly motivated with the right embrace...UConn might be right for a CT kid looking to get back on path.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If he's already transferred once, is he a "sit one, play one?" Or is his eligibility something else?

I'm extremely suspicious of a situation where someone starts with a ND scholarship and when dismissed from school ends up as a walk on somewhere. That doesn't mean there are underlying issues, but it sure makes you wonder.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Unless they change the scholarship rules we can't take him as a scholarship player for fall 2020 since we already reached the 25 man annual cap. We have six unused scholarships for this fall and the only players that can get them are walk ons that have been with the program for two years. After two years a walk on can get a scholarship w/o counting towards the 25 man annual cap.

Its unfortunate for CJ - but you can see just how precious the 4-6 year window is for D1 eligibility.

Reaction Score
It's unfortunate for him that there's no room at the inn in Storrs. It would be great for him, his family, and UConn to have a local kid play here and play well. Like a certain OL named Peart.
Probably many stories like this in the P5 realm. Stars in your eyes, everybody telling you how great you are, you want to show the world how valued you are by taking the "big" offer from ND or wherever, and then you find it's a business and especially so at the "name" schools.

Reaction Score
If he's already transferred once, is he a "sit one, play one?" Or is his eligibility something else?

I'm extremely suspicious of a situation where someone starts with a ND scholarship and when dismissed from school ends up as a walk on somewhere. That doesn't mean there are underlying issues, but it sure makes you wonder.

No reason to be suspicious. He ran into a bit of trouble early at ND and wanted a fresh start. CJ is a talented player and a good kid. No doubt that he will find a scholarship offer at a number of G5 or FCS Programs based on his upside. He simply had nowhere to go at RB at PSU and has tried to work at S for the last 2 years. I know some Uconn Staff followed him today, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him drop down to FCS so he can play immediately.

Reaction Score
No reason to be suspicious. He ran into a bit of trouble early at ND and wanted a fresh start. CJ is a talented player and a good kid. No doubt that he will find a scholarship offer at a number of G5 or FCS Programs based on his upside. He simply had nowhere to go at RB at PSU and has tried to work at S for the last 2 years. I know some Uconn Staff followed him today, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him drop down to FCS so he can play immediately.

On the other hand a hungry guy who can get us a few in short-yardage situations and occasionally get to levels 2-3 without turning the ball over would fill a need here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom