Civic Center occupants | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Civic Center occupants

Reaction Score
My first job out of UConn was with Aetna in their Civic Center Mall branch office on the third floor. Worked there from 88-96. Great memories of the shops and restaurants there. Margarita's was a favorite - would go there after Whalers games and run into players from the opposing team from time to time. Sat next to Brett Hull once at the bar after a Whalers vs. St. Louis Blues game - he could throw them back! Arthur's Drug was great to have in there on the second floor. TJ Maxx, Foxmoor, Gaetano's, Leuttgen's Ltd., Al Franklin's Music World, Weathervane, Gap, Wendy's, De La Concha Tobacconist, Unique Antique, Husky Shop II, Wendy's, Whaler's Gift Store, there was a photo store next to the Whaler's Store, a travel agency next to that and a liquor store next to that (can't remember the names). There was a Food Court in the ground level, which is where Chuck's was located.

The Whalers had their offices on the third floor and there was a common restroom in the back corner. Sometimes I'd run into Gordie Howe, Emile Francis or Chuck Kaiton in the men's room!

Reaction Score
I worked in CityPlace for a couple years in my single 20s. I’d park under the building, work, take the walkway to the civic center. Dinner was free nachos at Margaritas and whatever happy hour special beer they had. Whaler game. Chuck’s afterwards. Then back over the walkway into the parking garage to go home. Not a breath of fresh air from 7am to midnight.

Reaction Score
So this might deserve another thread but some must remember when the Husky mascot would do full flying leap body slams on the court. Arms out like Superman! It was insane and was stopped but I loved it! Back when Jeremy was trying to get fans to stand up till the first basket by UConn.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Food at BT's and a concert at the Civic Center was always a great date night in your single 20s, if you had some extra coin. Of course, concert tickets weren't obscenley expensive when I was that age.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
While we are taking a stroll down memory lane thought you would like to take a look and see if you need another T-shirt.

1644718648095.png

Reaction Score
Food at BT's and a concert at the Civic Center was always a great date night in your single 20s, if you had some extra coin. Of course, concert tickets weren't obscenley expensive when I was that age.
March 1985 Purple Rain Tour with Sheila E at the Civic Center.

I really enjoyed this thread so thanks to all posters. When you can see the end of the road it is memories like this that resonate. So many good memories there.

Reaction Score
March 1985 Purple Rain Tour with Sheila E at the Civic Center.

I really enjoyed this thread so thanks to all posters. When you can see the end of the road it is memories like this that resonate. So many good memories there.
I wonder what the age is where the posters are like "What are they talking about?" and have no memory at all of the "mall" being basically what it is today. And no idea that it actually used to be a vibrant hub in the middle of the city.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the age is where the posters are like "What are they talking about?" and have no memory at all of the "mall" being basically what it is today. And no idea that it actually used to be a vibrant hub in the middle of the city.
I’d say anyone born after 1990.
I was born in mid 80’s and whalers left when I was a early teenager.
Went to like 3-4 games in Sections AA or above. I think I got to go to 1 vs bruins game, A vs. Kings/Gretzky game, and I think one lower bowl whaler game.

I can vaguely remember the whaler store and the Wendy’s. If I went to a game it was park and go in and not really shop in the mall. Growing up in newington, it was westfarms or buckland.

I still have a very small whalers shirts, mittens, and some hockey pucks from there.

Anyone my age had to have their parents take them anywhere so it was hard to imagine any of the bars or restaurants you’d bring a young kid too (so Wendy’s was the only spot)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom