Civic Center occupants | The Boneyard

Civic Center occupants

Reaction Score
One of the 18 other Civic Center threads got me to thinking of the places that actually used to be part of "the mall".

Chuck's Steak House
Gaetano's
Margarita's
The Whaler Gift Store (with the whale shaped entrance)
Wendy's
Lord Jim's Pub

I'll leave it there....what else?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
One of the 18 other Civic Center threads got me to thinking of the places that actually used to be part of "the mall".

Chuck's Steak House
Gaetano's
Margarita's
The Whaler Gift Store (with the whale shaped entrance)
Wendy's
Lord Jim's Pub

I'll leave it there....what else?

It was actually "Chucks Cellar"
There was a tobacco shop and a camera store in there too.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Aetna should be shot for what they did there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Al Franklin's Musical World

De La Concha Tobacconist

Luettgens

Unique Antique

Henry Miller's

Casual Corner

Fusco Shoe Repair

Koenig Art Emporium

B. Dalton Bookseller

Ann Taylor

Civic Center Opticians

Reaction Score
When I was at Trinity, 77 to 81, there was a fancy restaurant upstairs that was unbelievable to get your parents to take you to to Sunday brunch. I want to say the Signature, but I can't swear to the name.

Reaction Score
Ann Taylor was upstairs. Only way I remember that is a friend worked there and she would use her employee discount to buy what my wife wanted.

There was a nails salon also upstairs. Only way I remember that is one day I'm walking through the mall a few hours before a UConn game and Ray Allen is in there getting a manicure. Thought that was funny that a college male was having his nails done.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There was a nails salon also upstairs. Only way I remember that is one day I'm walking through the mall a few hours before a UConn game and Ray Allen is in there getting a manicure. Thought that was funny that a college male was having his nails done.
Yeah that would have seemed strange to me, too.

But let's get Hawkins a manicure asap!

Reaction Score
I bought my first good stero system at Al Franklin's Music World. Denon receiver, Polk speakers. Bruce Franklin was great to deal with. What a great store that was. De La Concha was great too. I think we would buy a cigar there and smoke it right in the store before a game. Bought a suit at Luettgan's...that "mall" was pretty cool in it's day.

Reaction Score

De La Concha Tobacconist

Luettgens

Unique Antique

Henry Miller's

Casual Corner

Fusco Shoe Repair

Koenig Art Emporium

B. Dalton Bookseller

Ann Taylor

Civic Center Opticians
Got my first suit after college at Henry Miller's. A very fashionable double breasted number.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
This thread is already bumming me out.

It's really no wonder how small cities like Hartford became ghost towns when you think about how many shops were killed by amazon, walmart, costco, etc.

They were killed by Aetna.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
There was a Rein's Deli there for a while in mid 80's that was an after bar destination. I had a boss in a former job who drank the afternoon's away at George's restaurant, which looked across Asylum at Max Downtown.

Reaction Score
When I was at Trinity, 77 to 81, there was a fancy restaurant upstairs that was unbelievable to get your parents to take you to to Sunday brunch. I want to say the Signature, but I can't swear to the name.
You got it - overlooked Trumbull Street.

Reaction Score
There was a Rein's Deli there for a while in mid 80's that was an after bar destination. I had a boss in a former job who drank the afternoon's away at George's restaurant, which looked across Asylum at Max Downtown.
Yes, Rein's was great, high energy, large portions and decent prices. The entire package of shops made for a fun after work or week-end experience. Times have changed. There doesn't seem to be easy answers to this vacancy issue. The Whalers and corporate boxes added an element of support that isn't there anymore.

Reaction Score

De La Concha Tobacconist

Luettgens

Unique Antique

Henry Miller's

Casual Corner

Fusco Shoe Repair

Koenig Art Emporium

B. Dalton Bookseller

Ann Taylor

Civic Center Opticians
Unique Antique was a cute store. Used to like window shopping before games.

Reaction Score
Hartford was killed by losing its affluent residents due to bad planning. What’s funny is we remember the glory days of Hartford in the 80’s, but it was dying then. From 1820-1970, Hartford was an elite city. Up until 1960, it was a world class city.

Reaction Score
I bought my first good stero system at Al Franklin's Music World. Denon receiver, Polk speakers. Bruce Franklin was great to deal with. What a great store that was. De La Concha was great too. I think we would buy a cigar there and smoke it right in the store before a game. Bought a suit at Luettgan's...that "mall" was pretty cool in it's day.

I remember my mother complaining that there was so much cigar smoke in the mall before the Journey concert in like 1987. It reminded her of her mean uncle.

Reaction Score
Hartford was killed by losing its affluent residents due to bad planning. What’s funny is we remember the glory days of Hartford in the 80’s, but it was dying then. From 1820-1970, Hartford was an elite city. Up until 1960, it was a world class city.
With the exception of Boston and New York, most mid-sized cities in the Northeast lost their downtown retail to the suburban malls. Amazon, etc. was really the final nail in that coffin. During the pandemic, many office workers are working remotely, which is hurting the restaurants downtown.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
With the exception of Boston and New York, most mid-sized cities in the Northeast lost their downtown retail to the suburban malls. Amazon, etc. was really the final nail in that coffin. During the pandemic, many office workers are working remotely, which is hurting the restaurants downtown.
Providence's downtown mall seems to be thriving.

Reaction Score
There was a Rising Sun restaurant in the Civic Center in the early 1970's enjoyed eating there before a Uconn or Whalers game.

Reaction Score
When I first graduated in 1980 I remember going to Hartford shopping esp G.Fox. I remember my mom and her family talking about taking the train from Wallingford to Hartford for clothes shopping when she was a kid. The big trip was Hartford, not New Haven.

Reaction Score
Providence's downtown mall seems to be thriving.
Not exactly. It's been in a downward trend for a while. Nordstrom was the big get and they pulled out a while ago. Most indoor malls around the country aren't doing that well.

“Like malls nationally, Providence Place has been impacted by several recent shifts in shopping-- most notably the growth of online retailing and COVID-19. As a result, our mall is not what it used to be. It still has time to be the economic asset to the city that was intended and I hope that city and state leaders work together to get things back on track," said Smiley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom