Cincy game - quick bullets | The Boneyard

Cincy game - quick bullets

Reaction Score
I just watched it, went to a brew fest yesterday had to take one for the team (wife) and not watch it live. So here goes:

It's always unfortunate when you get the team after they suck and add a sell out, celebration day. Like it or not having UConn, celebration and sell out the Bearcats were pumped coming off a crap game.

They shot it as well as they can, much had to do with our bigs not knowing how to play D but some is just bad luck, they shot 6-24 against Tulsa and 12-26 against us - figures. Cumberlands banked brick from straight on said it all, was their day for sure.

Already said it, bigs sucked on D. All of them concerned with falling back off the roll and never got back to offer a hand in anyone's face, putrid.

I will take a Kyle Washington you guys keep the shot blocker. A guy who can score in multiple ways, rebound and guard guys without blocking a shot (imagine that?) impacted the game a lot more than any of ours.

Facey made some tremendous moves with the ball and strong too, just couldn't get it to go, it happens too bad he's been on a roll. But not a good game for him either 4 boards not enough especially with just one foul.

Jalen - hmmmm a strange game for him not all that involved and wasn't too aggressive but in defense of him they were doubling at all times and switching aggressively. Good plan by Cincy on D. Needs to find a way though to be more of an impact in this situation there will be more this year.

Not going to run through everyone they got beat by a better team yesterday but I did see enough to know that if they catch a run at home in the tourney they can beat these guys, they aren't great. I mean they shot as well as they could, we got hit in the face and didn't answer. Just think we need to play better and they need to shoot like they normally shoot at least. By the way as a team they do shoot the 3 pretty damn good just not as well as we allowed them. Bigs have to guard, and we need to somehow figure out whey Clark is so good against us?

Ended as we expected being away, NEXT!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Thanks Mau
Agree with most all of this
UConn was playing them close and then Washington and a few other of the wings started throwing up 3's and hitting net and that's all she wrote
JA was being tagged all game and UConn needed someone like VJ to step up but he never looked for his shot and comfortable for that matter. JA needs to step it up in these games - needs to learn to take it to the next level
AB may have had some nice numbers but his D was horrible and he lost the ball at some most crucial moments
CV threw up some ?able 3s early on but the kid gives 100%
RP played a real nice defensive game - overall not a bad effort - he represented well yesterday, in my opinion
KF was snake bitten on offense but was not good on the defensive end

People were on KO for not taking TOs, etc but in a game like that there was very little you can do - Cinci was going to hit their 3's, no matter what, especially at home

Cinci is loaded this year with older and stronger players who all can shoot the ball - it was men vs boys
Yes Cinci is beatable but not sure it will be by UConn with the present parts available

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I agree with both of you. If I was to comment on the game I couldn't. You guys said it all. Just add on the downtown threes. This problem goes back a couple of years. Had great seats at Atlantis. Our guys would collapse down under and then they would kick if out (forget his name from Gonzaga) shot lights out. Same with Syracuse. So often this team leaves wide open threes. Now, still with no defense, the shot has to go in. Mau you are correct, when that brick three off went off the backboard in, was a good indicator. I said it before, this team has suffered through many of those teams getting hot.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Rather than my usual lengthy post, I'll just tag-team on this one, since I have little to add to what mau started with.
  1. We left guys wide open for threes. So did Cinci. Unfortunately, most of our wide open threes missed, and too many of theirs didn't.
  2. When the threes don't fall and Facey is having an off night at the same time, it's... well, it's what happened yesterday.
  3. Rodney had his best game of the season offensively, and was our best defender yesterday, too.
  4. CV showed a refreshing bit of offense. Unfortunately, too little, too late.
  5. The refs weren't really a factor.
  6. We should have run lobs to Brimah until Cinci showed they could stop it twice in a row.

Reaction Score
Not sure if Vance is shy or unselfish but that kid's got to be greenlighted to shoot. I believe he took only 5 shots. I'd like to see at least 8-10 attempts for him.

I certainly don't like seeing his hesitation hitch, similar to DHam. He is our only gunner and needs to be reminded of that.

CV is more unconscious than him, which is backwards.

C

Chief00

I just watched it, went to a brew fest yesterday had to take one for the team (wife) and not watch it live. So here goes:

It's always unfortunate when you get the team after they suck and add a sell out, celebration day. Like it or not having UConn, celebration and sell out the Bearcats were pumped coming off a crap game.

They shot it as well as they can, much had to do with our bigs not knowing how to play D but some is just bad luck, they shot 6-24 against Tulsa and 12-26 against us - figures. Cumberlands banked brick from straight on said it all, was their day for sure.

Already said it, bigs sucked on D. All of them concerned with falling back off the roll and never got back to offer a hand in anyone's face, putrid.

I will take a Kyle Washington you guys keep the shot blocker. A guy who can score in multiple ways, rebound and guard guys without blocking a shot (imagine that?) impacted the game a lot more than any of ours.

Facey made some tremendous moves with the ball and strong too, just couldn't get it to go, it happens too bad he's been on a roll. But not a good game for him either 4 boards not enough especially with just one foul.

Jalen - hmmmm a strange game for him not all that involved and wasn't too aggressive but in defense of him they were doubling at all times and switching aggressively. Good plan by Cincy on D. Needs to find a way though to be more of an impact in this situation there will be more this year.

Not going to run through everyone they got beat by a better team yesterday but I did see enough to know that if they catch a run at home in the tourney they can beat these guys, they aren't great. I mean they shot as well as they could, we got hit in the face and didn't answer. Just think we need to play better and they need to shoot like they normally shoot at least. By the way as a team they do shoot the 3 pretty damn good just not as well as we allowed them. Bigs have to guard, and we need to somehow figure out whey Clark is so good against us?

Ended as we expected being away, NEXT!

Chief00 - Approved. I agree that Washington killed us with his game. The lack of adjustments was notable as Glen Miller's scouting report blew up on us. I was wondering when more teams would start doubling Adams? We don't seem to have an answer to that other than a lob pass every once in awhile. Our Bigs consistently got the ball 4-5 feet too far out when they tried to post.
Going to Brimah early is a terrible idea - just produces turnovers and not much else. We do this too often and it's responsible for our very bad starts.

Reaction Score
Chief00 - Approved. I agree that Washington killed us with his game. The lack of adjustments was notable as Glen Miller's scouting report blew up on us. I was wondering when more teams would start doubling Adams? We don't seem to have an answer to that other than a lob pass every once in awhile. Our Bigs consistently got the ball 4-5 feet too far out when they tried to post.
Going to Brimah early is a terrible idea - just produces turnovers and not much else. We do this too often and it's responsible for our very bad starts.

Millers scouting report? He was all over AB and Facey a couple of times for not getting to the shooter, hands out in a "WTF" way. It's not scouting it's called defense, just guard your guy when he's making shots its basketball 101.

Reaction Score
Heck I could, when I was young, guard better than most of our guys can. Defense is want, not letting the other player do what he wants to do.

Reaction Score
we need to somehow figure out whey Clark is so good against us?

I feel like he's been around forever and yet he's still a junior. He basically gets 13-11 against us every game. If I could find the "player you liked on another team" thread I'd add Clark in. Does the dirty work, looks like he's playing in slow motion, and kills us.

C

Chief00

Millers scouting report? He was all over AB and Facey a couple of times for not getting to the shooter, hands out in a "WTF" way. It's not scouting it's called defense, just guard your guy when he's making shots its basketball 101.

Quite frankly, by the time two dudes are seniors these basic fundamentals should be mere muscle memory from practice. Why that hasn't even remotely happen is on both the players and coaches responsible for that position. Glen is the Bigs coach in theory - the fact we never seem to see tangible evidence of that - speaks volumes.

As far as opponent specific game direction - Miller owns that as well I am afraid to say. Glen takes his scouting report and works with the walkons to emulate the opposition - what they run? Who the shooters are? Why the communication of all that is not working well is something that needs to be fixed.

Reaction Score
Heck I could, when I was young, guard better than most of our guys can. Defense is want, not letting the other player do what he wants to do.

Yes this and understanding your surroundings, seeing things happen before they do, knowing the opponent all things good students of the game get.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, by the time two dudes are seniors these basic fundamentals should be mere muscle memory from practice. Why that hasn't even remotely happen is on both the players and coaches responsible for that position. Glen is the Bigs coach in theory - the fact we never seem to see tangible evidence of that - speaks volumes.

As far as opponent specific game direction - Miller owns that as well I am afraid to say. Glen takes his scouting report and works with the walkons to emulate the opposition - what they run? Who the shooters are? Why the communication of all that is not working well is something that needs to be fixed.

Nope not at all. They've been taught everything they should have done naturally. Amida was just drifting without cause twice when Kyle Washington just stepped back to get passes, not close. Same with Enoch and Clark and Facey and Clark. My God if you can't figure out by now the other team is not then you're just plain stupid. It's your guy right? Do the best you can not to let him score, make him put it on the ground so you can get help. They've been taught all of this and it just never sunk in. Again, great guys - need smarter players!

C

Chief00

Nope not at all. They've been taught everything they should have done naturally. Amida was just drifting without cause twice when Kyle Washington just stepped back to get passes, not close. Same with Enoch and Clark and Facey and Clark. My God if you can't figure out by now the other team is not then you're just plain stupid. It's your guy right? Do the best you can not to let him score, make him put it on the ground so you can get help. They've been taught all of this and it just never sunk in. Again, great guys - need smarter players!
Don't disagree they have low basketball IQs. My belief is that with good effective coaching, by their senior year, some of that hill is climbed.

Reaction Score
Don't disagree they have low basketball IQs. My belief is that with good effective coaching, by their senior year, some of that hill is climbed.

And that's fine. But the reality of it is if they don't get it by year 3 then they never will. I mean they're 20-23 year old kids, it's not that tough. They've attempted to drill it into them rather, yet they've some up on the empty side of the tank.

C

Chief00

And that's fine. But the reality of it is if they don't get it by year 3 then they never will. I mean they're 20-23 year old kids, it's not that tough. They've attempted to drill it into them rather, yet they've some up on the empty side of the tank.
We agree on the end result.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom