Cincy and Memphis potential Big 12 bids | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cincy and Memphis potential Big 12 bids

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Why would we pay our football coach more than we need to? Auriemma is paid a lot because he's the best women's basketball coach of all-time.
Well I agree with who we hired his pay is adequate. We could have thrown more money at a bigger name, made more of a splash with the coaching hire. A name, some one who's proven, kind of gives you more credibility as a program(In basketball, Larry Brown at SMU for example). Mike Leach is about to go to Houston he makes about 2.5-3 million a year... I think that's a good investment for them.

Reaction Score
Well I agree with who we hired his pay is adequate. We could have thrown more money at a bigger name, made more of a splash with the coaching hire. A name, some one who's proven, kind of gives you more credibility as a program(In basketball, Larry Brown at SMU for example). Mike Leach is about to go to Houston he makes about 2.5-3 million a year... I think that's a good investment for them.
We targeted Narduzzi and Diaco, the last two defensive coaches of the year. Either one looked like he would be a great hire at the time, actually don't remember a single person who didn't like the Diaco hire. It was a terrible season and Diaco may not be the guy but revisionist history doesn't help anything. I also won't give up on Diaco like many seem to have, the roster is seriously lacking talent right now. Again this would change very quickly if we got a seat at the table.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
We should be on the phones with both big Big 12 and the B1G once a week. We need to look for a way out and partner with a school like Cinci as a dual package. We don't want to be left out of the new expansion and need to market ourself a lot with the B1G and B12 including scheduling more games with them. Jleves is right about money being very important but partnering with UMASS isn't the answer and will not help us.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I have zero confidence in our present AD's ability to take this kind of proactive approach. He failed miserably the last time we had a golden opportunity to do the exact same thing.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Just saw Jacobs article in tomorrow's Courant. Says that Manuel and Herbst should be packing all of the championship trophys for a trip and a pitch to the Big 12 to get one of the spots as they go from 10-12. He says no conference tourney hurt the Big 12. Even Jacobs wants p5 for us. Warde, are you there?

He's probably fast asleep after polishing off another box of his Krispy Kreme friends.

Reaction Score
We targeted Narduzzi and Diaco, the last two defensive coaches of the year. Either one looked like he would be a great hire at the time, actually don't remember a single person who didn't like the Diaco hire. It was a terrible season and Diaco may not be the guy but revisionist history doesn't help anything. I also won't give up on Diaco like many seem to have, the roster is seriously lacking talent right now. Again this would change very quickly if we got a seat at the table.

Honestly though, do you think the talent is going to get any better? Our current recruiting class is 90% 2 star players and the other 10% is 3 star players. Then we wonder why we can't compete with the likes of Stony Brook, Western Michigan, Tulane, Army etc. If we wan't to compete we need to turn that ratio around to 80 to 90% 3 star players and 10 to 20% 2 star players. We also need to be more aggressive with 4 and 5 star players who are looking to transfer like, Cincinnati, who got a 5 star QB Gunner Kiel and a 5 star LB Jeff Luc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree wholeheartedly, but I have zero confidence in our present AD's ability to take this kind of proactive approach. He failed miserably the last time we had a golden opportunity to do the exact same thing.

I agree. Warde and Herbts are okay with the American Conference, so is Diaco. Bob was asked about creating a rivalry with BC and his response was that he wanted to start a rivalry with a team within the conference ... Smh

Reaction Score
I agree. Warde and Herbts are okay with the American Conference, so is Diaco. Bob was asked about creating a rivalry with BC and his response was that he wanted to start a rivalry with a team within the conference ... Smh
If those 2 are honestly happy with the AAC then I think we should make sure that they are available for future conference school openings.

Reaction Score

Diaco was a big hire. Though, I do agree on one point, more money would have been helpful and sent a clear signal on UCon's intent with football, I just would have spent it on attracting a stronger staff around Diaco.

Reaction Score
We could have thrown more money at a bigger name, made more of a splash with the coaching hire. A name, some one who's proven, kind of gives you more credibility as a program(In basketball, Larry Brown at SMU for example). Mike Leach is about to go to Houston he makes about 2.5-3 million a year... I think that's a good investment for them.
Nothing's stopping you from kicking in a few million to increase the football staff salaries. Go for it!

Reaction Score
No, they aren't.

If you're waiting for one of them to go on record and bash their current conference, you'll be waiting forever. That doesn't mean they are content with the situation.

Have you read the the post about Diaco being asked about the idea of creating a rivalry with BC and he said no he didn't think about it? He'd rather focus on creating a rivalry within the conference doesn't that mean he's obviously content with this conference? Since he's been hired Diaco has been raving about the teams within this conference, that to me means he's okay with being in the conference.

http://the-boneyard.com/blog/diaco-on-boston-college/

“I don’t have any thoughts on it,” Diaco stressed. “I’ve never thought about it. They’re not in our league. I’d like to develop some inter-league intrigue. That would be my initial impression, is to focus our energies on making the American Conference exciting, but whatever, I’m good on whatever the people decide.”

I can show you a lot more on how Diaco sells the American like he's in the SEC or something.

If there not content with the current situation then they need to make that apparent and work at trying to get us in a new conference. I'm not expecting them to bash no conference just make it known that we need out.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Have you read the the post about Diaco being asked about the idea of creating a rivalry with BC and he said no he didn't think about it? He'd rather focus on creating a rivalry within the conference doesn't that mean he's obviously content with this conference? Since he's been hired Diaco has been raving about the teams within this conference, that to me means he's okay with being in the conference.

“I don’t have any thoughts on it,” Diaco stressed. “I’ve never thought about it. They’re not in our league. I’d like to develop some inter-league intrigue. That would be my initial impression, is to focus our energies on making the American Conference exciting, but whatever, I’m good on whatever the people decide.”

I can show you a lot more on how Diaco sells the American like he's in the SEC or something.

If there not content with the current situation then they need to make that apparent and work at trying to get us in a new conference. I'm not expecting them to bash no conference just make it known that we need out.

Something tells me that "Come join us in this horrible dumpster fire!" might not be the best way to sell the program when recruits and their families are reading this stuff. What do I know though.

Reaction Score
foosbal jones likes aac because he wishes to continue mall shopping

if real schedule is composed, this dude will be shopping pawn shop

Reaction Score

You can show me as many quotes as you want - you're missing the point. If Bob Diaco or Kevin Ollie make an on-the-record comment that reflects negatively on the league, that quote would immediately be sent to every single recruit they are trying to sign.

And Warde Manuel sure as heck isn't going to blatantly say he wants out either. But you are mistaken if you actually think anybody at Uconn is happy about being in the AAC.

Reaction Score
You can show me as many quotes as you want - you're missing the point. If Bob Diaco or Kevin Ollie make an on-the-record comment that reflects negatively on the league, that quote would immediately be sent to every single recruit they are trying to sign.

And Warde Manuel sure as heck isn't going to blatantly say he wants out either. But you are mistaken if you actually think anybody at Uconn is happy about being in the AAC.

How does Diaco or Kevin Ollie stating on record that they want ( or ask Warde and Susan ) to pursue a better conference reflects bad on the conference or recruits? The conference is already bad and everyone now's that. We all know that the AAC is not going to benefit us in the long run, so why not let it be known to other conferences that we want out?

I believe Louisville's AD had went on record before saying that they wanted to pursue a better conference and that didn't turn out so bad for them did it? It didn't hurt their recruiting at all and lets not forget their in the ACC now.

There was another team also, I think Cincinnati, that hired an AD, he went on record saying that his mission is to pursue a better conference. They still recruit very well, a lot better than we do, they hired Tuberville, and their putting themselves in a position to be the next best team up for the next conference realignment. But yet you want the coaches and AD at UConn to shut up and talk up the AAC for what reason again? Thinking like that we will always be left behind.

Reaction Score
We all know that the AAC is not going to benefit us in the long run, so why not let it be known to other conferences that we want out?

Everybody in the universe knows that we want out. Everybody. Every P5 commissioner knows it. Every P5 president knows it. Mike Aresco even knows it.

Bob Diaco talking about AAC rivals doesn't change that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I haven't followed CR in any depth, but it seems that UConn needs a partner school to get into a conference. Why wouldn't UMass be an obvious addition? Similar size to UConn, just about equally ranked and a similar endowment. It would produce that natural rivalry that we haven't had in a long time and could put the Big10 into the Boston market (not to be confused with Boston Market). With BC being so crappy, there is a void that could easily be filled by a large state school.

OK - I'm ready. Tell me why this is a ridiculous idea.
Just about equally ranked? Mmm, no. Similar endowment? Try 100 million less and that was before UConn recent fund raising push.

Oh and there might just be a slight difference between the quality of the athletic programs, with UConn winning multiple national championships in multiple sports and UMass, well their high points seem to be the years they actually play in the post season.

How about fan interest? National branding?

No, just no.

Reaction Score
How does Diaco or Kevin Ollie stating on record that they want ( or ask Warde and Susan ) to pursue a better conference reflects bad on the conference or recruits? The conference is already bad and everyone now's that. We all know that the AAC is not going to benefit us in the long run, so why not let it be known to other conferences that we want out?

I believe Louisville's AD had went on record before saying that they wanted to pursue a better conference and that didn't turn out so bad for them did it? It didn't hurt their recruiting at all and lets not forget their in the ACC now.

There was another team also, I think Cincinnati, that hired an AD, he went on record saying that his mission is to pursue a better conference. They still recruit very well, a lot better than we do, they hired Tuberville, and their putting themselves in a position to be the next best team up for the next conference realignment. But yet you want the coaches and AD at UConn to shut up and talk up the AAC for what reason again? Thinking like that we will always be left behind.

This is a nice mix of fiction and delusion.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

How does indirectly bashing the conference help the situation? What does it actually accomplish other than assuaging your fears and calming your nerves? What is the process where that leads to a greater likelihood of getting in a P5?

Do you not think they are not talking to every person, committee, and organization possible behind the scenes to line UCONN up for a better spot?

Reaction Score
How does indirectly bashing the conference help the situation? What does it actually accomplish other than assuaging your fears and calming your nerves? What is the process where that leads to a greater likelihood of getting in a P5?

Do you not think they are not talking to every person, committee, and organization possible behind the scenes to line UCONN up for a better spot?

I guess you could be right.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Sadly, yes, that is what I believe. The fact that we can't get our name into any conversation tells me we aren't talking to the right people. Memphis has T.Boones Pickens talking about them, and Cincinnati yesterday used the media to imply they were off to the Big12 to try to drum up ACC interest...have we ever done that?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sadly, yes, that is what I believe. The fact that we can't get our name into any conversation tells me we aren't talking to the right people. Memphis has T.Boones Pickens talking about them, and Cincinnati yesterday used the media to imply they were off to the Big12 to try to drum up ACC interest...have we ever done that?

Perhaps because Cincy isn't talking to the Big12 and maybe they are trying to initiate the conversation? I've no idea. Either way, I highly doubt the B12 would have any interest in UCONN whatsoever. No matter what we do.

The other potential schools' football programs are better from several perspectives (location being one) than ours. Football is the only thing that matters. Despite how we feel about our 4 MCBB NCs.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Umm...what?

Mike DeCourcey, the SportingNews writer that put the story out about Cinci meeting with the Big12, is a Cincinnati homer. That story has sense been rebuffed my many, including usually reliable Brett McMurphy. So it appears that Cincinnati was out using its media contacts to keeps its name the headline in a story we can't even get a footnote in.

Reaction Score
Mike DeCourcey, the SportingNews writer that put the story out about Cinci meeting with the Big12, is a Cincinnati homer. That story has sense been rebuffed my many, including usually reliable Brett McMurphy. So it appears that Cincinnati was out using its media contacts to keeps its name the headline in a story we can't even get a footnote in.

So what are you suggesting exactly? That we should plant a fake story somewhere about the ACC being interested in us and hope the B1G takes the bait?

There are a few too many people here who seem to think that the P5 decision makers are influenced by Mike DeCourcey articles or throwaway quotes from Bob Diaco press conferences. The meetings and discussions that actually matter in conference realignment are done behind closed doors. If people really think that Uconn leadership is telling the P5 that we're content in the AAC then I don't know what to tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom