Cincinnati still pushing hard to join another conference | The Boneyard

Cincinnati still pushing hard to join another conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whit Babcock is in a tough spot.

As the athletic director at the University of Cincinnati – one of three Big East schools left behind when the league broke up last year – he presides over a department whose teams will begin play next fall in the new American Athletic Conference.

It’s his job to find a way to get the Bearcats into one of the five power conferences and out of the American, which, until it proves otherwise, is considered a step down nationally and by the school’s fan base.

That’s why Babcock is in an awkward position. He feels an obligation to do all he can to advance UC’s interests by ushering it into a higher-profile conference, but he also feels a responsibility to be a good partner in the new league.

Mike Aresco, the commissioner of the American, said that’s exactly what UC officials have done as the new league prepares for its first year of existence.

Aresco understands that both UC and Connecticut have made no secret of their desire to be in the Atlantic Coast Conference, but for now they are in the American, with no choice but to make the most of their situation.

“They’ve been helping in every way possible,” Aresco said of UC. “What you do is basically say this is where we all are. Let’s make this the best possible conference. If down the road something changes, then something changes. If things stay as they are, then this is absolutely the best place for them to be.”

That doesn’t stop Babcock from enthusiastically reeling off UC’s selling points as a potential candidate for the ACC or one of the other power conferences.

“What we have to sell is a dynamic athletic department that is certainly on the rise and has a lot of potential,” Babcock said. “We have a fertile recruiting ground. We have very good facilities that will get better. The academic profile of UC is tremendous. Hopefully we’ve got some stability in our coaching ranks. We have a president and a board and a community that seem dedicated to what we do. We try to graduate our student-athletes and we run it clean. You can win championships from here. You can get a degree from here and you can turn pro from here.”

In other words, as Babcock said, “I don’t see any reason why we should be left out.”

UC president Santa Ono, who has been an avid supporter of the UC athletics program, said the following in a statement: “The buzz on UC is both real and reverberating. Student enrollment is up, the list of top-ranked programs is growing, our commitment to experiential learning has never been stronger, and we continue to collect awards for our beautiful campus. Our nationally recognized athletics program only adds to this momentum. It’s a great front door to showcase our school, unify our community and help attract stellar students.”

The first step toward getting UC where it wants to go, Babcock said, is for the school to do a better job of telling its story.

“I believe it’s the humble nature of this town and this community, which I love,” Babcock said, “but every now and then you’ve got to brag a little bit. I do believe that there are still some people who have an outdated perception of what UC is, whether it’s in our fan base or donor base.”

To change that perception, UC has produced an eight-page color brochure entitled “Now Is the Time … This Is the Place.” The brochure is filled with facts about UC’s academic and athletic accomplishments as well as pictures of the campus, including an artist’s rendering of what the proposed $65 million-$70 million Nippert Stadium renovation will look like.

Among the athletic achievements listed in the brochure: UC is one of only seven schools to have 10 or more football victories in five of the past six seasons; over the last five seasons, the Bearcats have won or shared more conference titles (four) than any other BCS program; UC’s six-year BCS average ranking is 16, higher than every ACC school and current or past Big East school except Virginia Tech; the men’s basketball team has made three straight NCAA tournament appearances; and in six seasons under basketball coach Mick Cronin, UC’s Academic Progress Report score has exceeded 980, with two perfect scores of 1000.

Among the academic accomplishments: UC was named a Top 25 Public Research University by the National Science Foundation; the school jumped 17 spots in two years in the U.S. News & World Report rankings – one of the largest leaps of any school in the country; UC is home to 34 academic programs ranked among the Top 50 nationally, with 11 programs in the Top 10.

“I believe we unfairly fight some perceptions from the past,” Babcock said, “but if you look at the facts in the near term, it’s there.”

Babcock said it’s a myth that UC is hindered by subpar facilities and points to the improvements made with the construction of Varsity Village. In addition, UC has built a new football practice facility, complete with an indoor bubble. Babcock acknowledges that UC has work to do to upgrade Nippert Stadium and Fifth Third Arena – the home to its football and men’s and women’s basketball programs – but says the school is working on both of those issues.

“We fight that perception more than what reality is,” Babcock said of the facilities issue. “I believe when most people – even visiting teams and ADs – come onto our campus, this whole Varsity Village concept is a really neat thing. We cannot stand pat on Nippert and Fifth Third (Arena). We just don’t have all the answers on Fifth Third just yet.”

It’s crucial, Babcock, said, that when UC begins to compete next fall in the American along with Louisville, Rutgers, Memphis, Temple, Connecticut, Central Florida, SMU, Houston and South Florida, the Bearcats must be at the top of their game.

“We need to create the story,” Babcock said. “We’ve got to achieve at a high level right now. We’ve got to be winning this league or challenging for it and playing in major bowls.”

Selling UC
• Cincinnati’s media market ranks 29th nationally, according to Nielsen.
• UC just topped $1 billion in its Proudly Cincinnati capital campaign and its endowment ranks in the Top 75 in the nation at $1.004 billion.
• Ohio ranked behind only Texas, Florida, Georgia and California in the number of Division I football signees during the last signing period.
• UC has enhanced its athletics budget, which is approaching $50 million.
• UC is one of only three Tier 1 academic research schools with an end-of-season Top 25 ranking in football.
• UC has spent about $115 million on facilities upgrades over the past seven years and has announced plans for a $65 million-$70 million renovation of Nippert Stadium.
• UC is one of seven schools to have 10 or more football wins in five of the past six seasons.
• UC’s six-year average BCS ranking is 16th, higher than every ACC school and every current or past Big East school except Virginia Tech.
• UC has faced current and incoming ACC schools six times in the past two seasons and has posted a 5-1 record.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pitiful? Maybe, but they are building a narrative.

Reaction Score
giant-monitor-lizard-675593-.jpg

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Cincy is a lot closer to WV than we are. And if they are going down, at least they are swinging.

Reaction Score
..... its endowment ranks in the Top 75 in the nation at $1.004 billion.

Thats impressive for them and one of our achilles heels.

Reaction Score
..... its endowment ranks in the Top 75 in the nation at $1.004 billion.

Thats impressive for them and one of our achilles heels.

How is an endowment relevant really? As long as the state supports your school, you're fine. Endowments are great, esp. absent state support. But how does this work for sports? I don't see the connection. That money is used to offset tuition. A billion equates to maybe $30 million a year. 30,000 students into $30 million = $1,000 a year. Any other use of that eats into tuition. And Cincy is a school that really needs to defray tuition, since with fees they are above $13,000 a year. That money does not help them at all with sports. Quite the opposite.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How is an endowment relevant really? As long as the state supports your school, you're fine. Endowments are great, esp. absent state support. But how does this work for sports? I don't see the connection. That money is used to offset tuition. A billion equates to maybe $30 million a year. 30,000 students into $30 million = $1,000 a year. Any other use of that eats into tuition. And Cincy is a school that really needs to defray tuition, since with fees they are above $13,000 a year. That money does not help them at all with sports. Quite the opposite.
It's relevant because it's a measuring criteria. Small endowment (see what I did there)= perception of small time school.

Reaction Score
It's relevant because it's a measuring criteria. Small endowment (see what I did there)= perception of small time school.

Most dowagers are past caring about endowments.

Anyhow, some of these have been totally mismanaged. U. Rochester has gone 25 years without a rise in their endowment.

Reaction Score
Pitiful? Maybe, but they are building a narrative.

Pitiful? No way. He's selling his product.

If WM can't spit similar points about his product, he's not doing a huge part of his job.

Reaction Score
I don't think it will change anything but nothing in this thing pisses me off more than how UConn has not done a "primal scream" type of job in the press as to what we offer and how absurd it was we are left out. Instead silence or put on your best face hollow talking points.

I would prefer Warde or Geno or Kevin Ollie calling up a member of the Horde and say "Hey I have an idea for a front page article!" And than just yell at them for an hour about how ducking inexcusable it is that we have been left out. Fire off every talking point you can. Throw out every conspiracy theory you have. Let off steam. Seriously, it's not like it would have hurt as staying silent and playing classy has done absolutely nothing.

Reaction Score
I don't think it will change anything but nothing in this thing pisses me off more than how UConn has not done a "primal scream" type of job in the press as to what we offer and how absurd it was we are left out. Instead silence or put on your best face hollow talking points.

I would prefer Warde or Geno or Kevin Ollie calling up a member of the Horde and say "Hey I have an idea for a front page article!" And than just yell at them for an hour about how ing inexcusable it is that we have been left out. Fire off every talking point you can. Throw out every conspiracy theory you have. Let off steam. Seriously, it's not like it would have hurt as staying silent and playing classy has done absolutely nothing.

The lack of, reasonably tasteful, self promotion (i.e. like getting 'n word out) has been a sore point with me since the first raid. I'm speaking of both the BE Conference, as it existed post raid-one, and UCONN. Attributes not capitalized on and fights not joined (with talking heads). A litany of lost opportunities to promote both the conference and, especially, the UCONN football program. Unfortunately, both the school and conference had senior managers in-place that, at least in my viewpoint, didn't understand or just flat-out ignored the battle.

It would probably make people feel slightly better to read quotes from a pissed-off coach or AD about the what's and why's of UCONN's present situation. But to important portions of the college sport's world-at-large, the portion we have to impress, it would come across as a loser's whiny complaining. Product improvement and aggressive selling of UCONN, aimed at appropriately situated conferences, is the present necessity. Local or even NYC based "woe-is-UCONN" articles would probably yield an undesired result.

Reaction Score
I can tell you if I am a conference commisissioner do I choose the school begging to get out or the one that is making the best of te situation and tryin to build a new conference. Which do u think is the syringes member

Reaction Score
I can tell you if I am a conference commisissioner do I choose the school begging to get out or the one that is making the best of te situation and tryin to build a new conference. Which do u think is the syringes member

I assume you mean "reasonably tasteful" begging.

Reaction Score
UConn has done a terrible job on this front. I mean when Louisville is telling people that they have a plan to become a Top 50 national university, and they have made 1 Final four in womens basketball and won national championships (the latest at the time in 1989!!!) in mens basketball, AND the media quotes that drivel as if its equal to UConn which is already a Top 25 school, and had won 7 womens and 3 mens titles all more recent than UL's..well someone was getting their message across and someone was heading for the AAC. I'd not be shocked if the same thing happened with Cincinnati...Of course our President says we are winners who win winningly and she prefers mens lacrosse...Michigan Monday through Friday, harvard on the weekends...that is the new motto I think.

Reaction Score
UConn has done a terrible job on this front. I mean when Louisville is telling people that they have a plan to become a Top 50 national university, and they have made 1 Final four in womens basketball and won national championships (the latest at the time in 1989!!!) in mens basketball, AND the media quotes that drivel as if its equal to UConn which is already a Top 25 school, and had won 7 womens and 3 mens titles all more recent than UL's..well someone was getting their message across and someone was heading for the AAC. I'd not be shocked if the same thing happened with Cincinnati...Of course our President says we are winners who win winningly and she prefers mens lacrosse...Michigan Monday through Friday, harvard on the weekends...that is the new motto I think.

Oh my god, you can't be serious. These are Presidents who make the vote. No one is fooled about the academics. FSU insisted on Louisville football, and that was it!

Besides, if UConn ever gets to the ACC, Cincy is the only other team that will come with them regardless.

Reaction Score
The ACC has a football perception problem that UConn can't readily fix as well as Louisville.

Reaction Score
The ACC has a football perception problem that UConn can't readily fix as well as Louisville.

The biggest joke is that Florida State can't even manage to win the ACC! These is a clear example of "transference."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think the last decade shows that the ACC knows very little about college football.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Louisville fixed their football perception problem? Really? Then it was either a minor problem or it was a major disaster, and they'll be sorely disappointed...upstater, the presidents voted but the athletic directors, commissioner and ESPN decided...

Reaction Score
Louisville fixed their football perception problem? Really? Then it was either a minor problem or it was a major disaster, and they'll be sorely disappointed...upstater, the presidents voted but the athletic directors, commissioner and ESPN decided...

The presidents are front and center in this stuff. That much is obvious. If you're still laboring under the misconception that Ville was chosen for any reason other than football, there's no help for you.

Reaction Score
Yes, Louisville did help to fix their football perception problem.

Reaction Score
In the end, the decision between Uconn vs Louisville was less important than the means for coming to that decision. For the first time, the perception is that the ACC (or at least FSU) made a football first decision and thus improved its football perception even if it only slightly improved its on-field quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom