Cincinnati game thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Cincinnati game thread

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think the Megan thing went down today with a blown defensive assignment under the basket (I remember that one, there may be others)...At the timeout (somewhat removed time-wise from the error), Geno lit into Megan in the huddle and she didn't take it very well.

I think that was the genesis of what happened.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm very concerned about the message she's receiving from Geno as far as playing time. He says he's not trying to convey a message, bull... You have to let the kid make a mistake or two, or three and recover without the quick hook. There were others today who passed into extended arms causing turnovers. Can't bite your nose to spit the face Geno. We'll need her for the next three years...
I believe that she had some lapses on defense, as did Coombs, and that's why Megan didn't re-enter the game. Just my opinion.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I think the Megan thing went down today with a blown defensive assignment under the basket (I remember that one, there may be others)...At the timeout (somewhat removed time-wise from the error), Geno lit into Megan in the huddle and she didn't take it very well.

I think that was the genesis of what happened.
I agree with your observation 100%.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I am glad that I don't go to little league football and basketball games, because I am guessing that this might be where kids learn this "It's about me" attitude cause they do it in HS.
They learn it by watching basketball on television, college and pro.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno's post-game, his appreciation for Kia is very, very deep.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
They learn it by watching basketball on television, college and pro.
True but I guess my point would be that their coaches and/or parents should correct it in little league or HS. But I think that I still live in the 70s, so...

Reaction Score
I noticed the same thing, and not for the first time.
Been that way most of the year. Rarely smiles or looks like she's having any fun. I just figured she was the super serious type, but otherwise looks miserable. Guess it's tough playing for a demanding coach like Geno.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
True but I guess my point would be that their coaches and/or parents should correct it in little league or HS. But I think that I still live in the 70s, so...
I agree. Their coaches should correct them but it seems many of the coaches don't mind them acting that way. I believe if is is an old way of thinking it is the correct way of thinking.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
But that's the reason I left MBB.
I get it, but the guys do it for every silly thing they do. This kid is trying very hard to keep going against a juggernaut. I give her a mulligan.

Reaction Score
This is Touly's 3rd year playing college basketball. She has experience that some of the other bench players lack.
Actually it’s only her second year I’m not counting her red shirt year

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually it’s only her second year I’m not counting her red shirt year
I understand that it’s her 2nd year of eligibility. What I was pointing out is that this is her 3rd year of college basketball, her 2nd at UConn. So Touly is considerably ahead of the freshmen and several of the sophomores in terms of her basketball IQ and development.

Reaction Score
I understand that it’s her 2nd year of eligibility. What I was pointing out is that this is her 3rd year of college basketball, her 2nd at UConn. So Touly is considerably ahead of the freshmen and several of the sophomores in terms of her basketball IQ and development.
She seems to be coming along nicely. I wonder whether in another month or two (in other words, come tournament time) she'll be a crucial big if there's foul trouble against a team with size (Texas, Baylor).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I get it, but the guys do it for every silly thing they do. This kid is trying very hard to keep going against a juggernaut. I give her a mulligan.
Fair enough. But I did take umbrage at being called even a low level or pocket sexist. That wasn't near my intent.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

On Geno's show, he has said more once that he gets tired of telling players the same thing over and over, especially the freshmen. In the 2nd quarter while UConn was playing man to man, Megan lost her man, and left her wide open for a pass in the key that was converted for an easy uncontested layup. I believe THAT was the play that sent her to the bench for the day. There comes a time when he keeps them on the bench until they figure it out. Megan probably thought about that play the rest of the day. The great John Wooden once said "The bench is an excellent teacher ".

Megan will figure it out. She's having growing pains right now, and it's tough to watch her go through it. She'll get through it. The older players all went through it, and are no doubt encouraging her daily to hang in there. One day soon, the light will come on. Remember all of the freshmen are still trying to figure things out. They're all getting minimal playing time, and they're all making the same kinds of mistakes and errors in judgment.

This time last year Crystal was still figuring things out, and had played a lot more minutes up to this point than Megan has.
Also remember how little Crystal played against Mississippi State. She still had not gotten it at that point. Geno did not trust her yet in that setting. Crystal's line from that game - 17 mins,
1 point, 2 rebs, 1 ast, 2 turn overs. Butler - 6 mins, 2 turn overs, zeros across the rest of the board. Dangerfield and Butler were the only reserves Geno used in that game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Foul shooting practice for Lou
I have a question on the 4 foul shots for Lou...She was fouled going to the basket, 2 shots. Then Janelle got T'ed up. 2 shots. Why didn't UConn get the ball after the 4 FTs?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This time last year Crystal was still figuring things out, and had played a lot more minutes up to this point than Megan has.

Walker would play more minutes if she played better. Really disappointing season for her. And for Coombs too who almost turned the ball over three times in 90 seconds before being pulled.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Walker would play more minutes if she played better. Really disappointing season for her. And for Coombs too who almost turned the ball over three times in 90 seconds before being pulled.

Do you think that is why Bent gets more minutes? I am starting to see a far away look in Megan's eyes.....

Reaction Score
I thought both Walker and Coombs deserved to sit the bench today. Walker wasn't playing good defense and Coombs was throwing the ball all around. I thought Camara without that big brace showed some good movement. I think she may end up making an impact afterall this season. Irwin played some good scrappy minutes and earned the second half start.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have a question on the 4 foul shots for Lou...She was fouled going to the basket, 2 shots. Then Janelle got T'ed up. 2 shots. Why didn't UConn get the ball after the 4 FTs?
If a coach get T’d up during play, the other team gets 2 FT’s & the ball. If a coach get’s T’d up during a stoppage of play, the opposing team gets 2 FT’s and then play starts where it would have after the stoppage. In this instance, Lou was fouled, play stopped, Jamelle got T’d up, Lou hit 2 Technical fouls, then play resumed with Lou hitting 2 FT’s

Centerstream

Reaction Score
If a coach get T’d up during play, the other team gets 2 FT’s & the ball. If a coach get’s T’d up during a stoppage of play, the opposing team gets 2 FT’s and then play starts where it would have after the stoppage. In this instance, Lou was fouled, play stopped, Jamelle got T’d up, Lou hit 2 Technical fouls, then play resumed with Lou hitting 2 FT’s
Thanks. I didn't know about the "stoppage" part.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that Geno is sometimes facetious?

21e.gif

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Fair enough. But I did take umbrage at being called even a low level or pocket sexist. That wasn't near my intent.
do not blame you at all for that. Personally did not interpret your remark to be sexist. Everyone sees things in a different light!

Bama fan

Reaction Score
On Geno's show, he has said more once that he gets tired of telling players the same thing over and over, especially the freshmen. In the 2nd quarter while UConn was playing man to man, Megan lost her man, and left her wide open for a pass in the key that was converted for an easy uncontested layup. I believe THAT was the play that sent her to the bench for the day. There comes a time when he keeps them on the bench until they figure it out. Megan probably thought about that play the rest of thee day. The great John Wooden once said "The bench is an excellent teacher ".

Megan will figure it out. She's having growing pains right now, and it's tough to watch her go through it. She'll get through it. The older players all went through it, and are no doubt encouraging her daily to hang in there. One day soon, the light will come on. Remember all of the freshmen are still trying to figure things out.

Also remember how little Crystal played against Mississippi State. She still had not gotten it at that point. Geno did not trust her yet in that setting. Crystal's line from that game - 17 mins, 1 point, 2 rebs, 1 ast, 2 turn overs. Butler: 6 mins, 2 turn overs, zeros across the rest of the board.
I agree completely ,but I do not think my post and your reply are concerned with the same thing. Maybe I got it wrong though.:D

Centerstream

Reaction Score
how far away?
After she was taken out of the game, the camera showed her on the bench and she seemed totally detached from the game. I certainly hope that they don't use the tv video when they watch game film. If they do, poor Megan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom