Cinci Post Game Thoughts | The Boneyard

Cinci Post Game Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

This was a very good win and a good RPI Boost. Now for player breakdown:

Boat-- Started off slow but playwed very well 2nd half and had a good game 18 points 8 assists.

Omar-- 12 points on 5-7 shooting. He is becoming our best shooting guard and a clutch player. He is playing intelligent basketball and is the real X-Factor on this team.

Brimah--4 points 8 rebounds and battled well. His rebounding is getting better and is a great sign for him and for the team.

Purvis-- Rodney started off very bad in the first half, but was better in the 2nd. Finished with 11 points and shot the ball well when open. His niche as a good spot up shooter is becoming evident. His drives to the basket are similar to Hamilton's that end up getting blocked or loses the ball.

Hamilton--- Looks more and more erratic and his handle his becoming shakier by the game. Omar's play has mitigated his issues, but he will need to be better soon if this team is to make a title run this year.

Rakim Lubin-- He is a good solid big man and had a good effect on the game. He had 2 points 2 rebounds and 2 blocks in limited minutes. His defense and IQ on the court is intelligible with every passing moment. Thankfully, he is a player that has relegated Nolan to 4th string.

Reaction Score
You have to work on these things while the game is going on right? Prolific!

Reaction Score
Hamilton has a pretty good handle with the ball, but he gets in trouble when he tries to drive to the basket. That seems to be his big turnover area, because it's just not a part of his game yet, and doesn't really need to be yet with purvis, and samuel out there. His game is away from the basket, and his handle looks great when he's only taking 2-3 dribbles to make space around the foul line and pull up for a floater or a dish to brimah.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
DHam may need a rest. He could just be tired. His 3 ball has vanished and his foul shooting is questionable. His handle is fading. Maybe, give Omar a few starts and let DHam come off the bench and reduce his minutes for a few games until he regains his confidence.
Thought Purvis played well. More under control. Nolan is just lost. Lubin stealing his minutes.
Boat looked a little slow at start of game.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, given that Hamilton is taller than most guys trying to steal the ball and dribbles somewhat high - he needs to get stronger and use his forearm as Magic did to protect the ball.
KOs challenge with Calhoun is that he views it as a trade-off between Omar's shooting vs better ball handling and defense from Samuel or Purvis.

Reaction Score
pnow15 said:
DHam may need a rest. He could just be tired. His 3 ball has vanished and his foul shooting is questionable. His handle is fading. Maybe, give Omar a few starts and let DHam come off the bench and reduce his minutes for a few games until he regains his confidence. Thought Purvis played well. More under control. Nolan is just lost. Lubin stealing his minutes. Boat looked a little slow at start of game.

Hamiltons handle is ok, but he's gotten into two bad habits lately that he needs to fix. The first is turning his back to the defense when he drives to the basket, and the second is that he gets going way too fast when pressured handling the ball in the open court.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, given that Hamilton is taller than most guys trying to steal the ball and dribbles somewhat high - he needs to get stronger and use his forearm as Magic did to protect the ball.
KOs challenge with Calhoun is that he views it as a trade-off between Omar's shooting vs better ball handling and defense from Samuel or Purvis.

I thought Omar's defense was huge today, and his handles seemed fine in his couple of drives to the basket. At this point, I'm as confident in him bringing the ball up the floor as TSam or Purvis. Agreed on Hamilton, he seems to lose the ball three feet inside the three point line on every drive - once he figures out how to protect the ball as he gets by his man, he's golden ponyboy.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think DHam has a lot of work to do in regards to his handle. He is very shaky with the ball especially when he penetrates as he dribbles very high and quite "loosely". The turnovers speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
Hamiltons handle is ok, but he's gotten into two bad habits lately that he needs to fix. The first is turning his back to the defense when he drives to the basket, and the second is that he gets going way too fast when pressured handling the ball in the open court.

He also likes that spin move into the double team. One time he caught the ball to the right of elbow, faced his man and went to the hoop. He hit a nice runner off the glass. Need more more slashing from him. Would also like to see a jump step pull up for the 10 footer, like rip.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Good game guys you showed your toughness the last 10 minutes of the game and took us completely out of our offense. See you in a couple weeks back in Cincinnati.

It's a shame Mick won't be around. He's an annoying little leprechaun, but the games are undoubtedly more exciting when he's coaching.

Reaction Score
boog204 said:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think DHam has a lot of work to do in regards to his handle. He is very shaky with the ball especially when he penetrates as he dribbles very high and quite "loosely". The turnovers speak for themselves.

He has some work to do - we can get the chairs back out of the closet. But you also don't want to reel in his aggressiveness - he makes a lot of good things happen off the dribble and if he becomes tentative, more pressure gets put on Boat. Have to live with some mistakes now to get him seasoned by March.

Reaction Score
this danham guy neverever be close to the real rip

way over rated recruit; and to think this is the best recruit olywould has brought in to date

omar needs to take a big chuck of his minutes when omar is stronger and more game stamina wise

this danham would be a nice piece next to isaacham in bruin land; i says lets make a deal; hopefully by midnite trade deadline

Reaction Score

His handle is good, but in the open court he cannot make the sudden stops and direction changes that lower to the ground guards can. And he can't read where the opposing defensive players are, causing him to dribble into doubles and triples. Good teams smell blood when they see him coming. Once he gets going in one direction that's it. And he tends not to look up until after his mind is made up, leaving his feet first. Not sure why Ollie keeps playing him as the 2nd ball handler to beat the press in that lineup. He finally made that adjustment in the latter third. I guess he has zero faith in Purvis getting it done. They were better off when they threw over the top of the press. That is what DHam at halfcourt is good for, not as much Facey. I also noticed that Omar had trouble getting open for the inbounds. Maybe he's not the answer either. It's become apparent that teams want to full court press us. Ollie will figure it out and the fact that we have 5 guards will still allow us to tire them out.

Reaction Score
He also likes that spin move into the double team. One time he caught the ball to the right of elbow, faced his man and went to the hoop. He hit a nice runner off the glass. Need more more slashing from him. Would also like to see a jump step pull up for the 10 footer, like rip.
Yes, defenses have caught on to his spin move at the top of key as is a turnover machine. He needs to learn a change pace dribble like SN had last year to get his shot off. He certainly has the talent and mid-range game.

Reaction Score
Lubin was key on Cincy's last possession of the first half. he did a great job when the pick came, lead to a Cincy turnover and Boat's fastbreak layup. That was huge....we could have been down 8 or 9, instead we went into the half, down 4.

Reaction Score

way over rated recruit; and to think this is the best recruit olywould has brought in to date

omar needs to take a big chuck of his minutes when omar is stronger and more game stamina wise

this danham would be a nice piece next to isaacham in bruin land; i says lets make a deal; hopefully by midnite trade deadline

Let's make a deal, and trade you to another messageboard in exchange for, well, that part doesn't matter. Just as long as you go away.

Reaction Score
Amida starting to look like a basketball player out there, not just a freak athlete. Great sign and hopefully his progression continues, especially on the block on O. I expect it will, as he gets more experienced and stronger, along with the fact it has been mentioned by Ollie that he is hardest working guy on the team.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Are you duck**** serious?

Reaction Score
nomar said:
Seriously. Hamilton is a freshman, and a damn good one. He's got work to do but he's going to be a star. If people can't see that, they're blind.

Rip even struggled for long stretches as a freshman. Showed flashes (ie Kansas), but had days when he couldn't so anything right. It's part of the learning curve. Everything is an adjustment - from speed of the game, to the sophistication of help defense, to shooting in big arenas.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Let's make a deal, and trade you to another messageboard in exchange for, well, that part doesn't matter. Just as long as you go away.
My first ignore since Frank Ivy.

Reaction Score
My first ignore since Frank Ivy.
Who is this poster? Usually very happy with ignores, but sometimes it feels like I'm missing parts of conversations. Especially given Gurleyman and Nomar's responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom