CIAC Football Playoff Field Set | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CIAC Football Playoff Field Set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As much as I want to see my hometown team Shelton win, it is going to be really tough. Shelton really banged up, and Darien plays sound, fundamental football. Do we know where the game will be played?

Willow Brook Park, New Britain

Reaction Score
Can they just give Darien the trophy now? No disrespect to Shelton, but they're banged up and Darien just dismantled the #1 team in the state. Darien was/is the best team in the state.....by far. No one is even close.

New Canaan is playing for second. If North Haven falls behind NC, they're in trouble. As good as NH is this year, their offense is not built to play from behind.

New Fairfield and Brookfield will be a war. They played a close one earlier this season, expect the same. NF's defense is locked in right now, they could win the rematch in a close one.

Ansonia and Bloomfield have met five times, Ansonia leads the series 3-2. This game will be a war, as well. Bloomfield has the athletes and the speed to win this one. If they can force Ansonia to throw, Bloomfield wins. If Ansonia can win in the trenches and get Bagley and Bailey to the second level, Ansonia will win their 20th state title. This will be a close one, as well. It may come down to special teams.

After all the talk about how S and M were both down this year, those should be the two best games of the day

Reaction Score
Can't believe the blowouts by Darien and New Canaan tonight. Makes the Turkey Bowl look like it may have been the de-facto State Championship. Don't think either team will let their press clippings get to them like Southington did. But they were just overmatched up front.

Reaction Score
After all the talk about how S and M were both down this year, those should be the two best games of the day
Totally agree, the M and S finals are too close to pick. I could see the FCIAC blowing out the SCC in the LL and L finals. They're too well coached to dwell on their semi-final blowouts.

Reaction Score
LL: Darien 39, Shelton 7

L: New Canaan 42, North Haven 35

M: Brookfield 21, New Fairfield 14

S: Bloomfield 31, Ansonia 20

My end of year picks for the top 10 teams:

1. Darien
2. New Canaan
3. North Haven
4. Shelton
5. Windsor
6. Southington
7. Brookfield
8. Bloomfield
9. New Fairfield
10. Newtown/Ansonia (too tough to pick)

Reaction Score
My end of year picks for the top 10 teams:

1. Darien
2. New Canaan
3. North Haven
4. Shelton
5. Windsor
6. Southington
7. Brookfield
8. Bloomfield
9. New Fairfield
10. Newtown/Ansonia (too tough to pick)
Although I don't think it will happen, I think Ansonia should be out of the top 10. I don't think they are better then Newtown, Glastonbury, or Wethersfield.

Reaction Score
Although I don't think it will happen, I think Ansonia should be out of the top 10. I don't think they are better then Newtown, Glastonbury, or Wethersfield.

IMO Whethersfield was overrated. Glastonbury had literally 1 player they rode all year (I think we know who that was).

I don't think Ansonia deserves top 10, either, but they have a good chance of getting it. Wouldn't be shocked if the "sports writers of connecticut" vote them #7 after a Bloomfield #6. Brand recognition is a real thing. Personally I'll throw a fit if Bloomfield or Ansonia are above any of Brookfield, New Fairfield or Newtown because those 3 teams are 10 pts better than Ansonia or Bloomfield

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Just got home from a full day of travel. I know Ansonia lost but was it bad? I know Brookfield won and about to Google the other 2 games.

Reaction Score
Just got home from a full day of travel. I know Ansonia lost but was it bad? I know Brookfield won and about to Google the other 2 games.
top of my head, 31-20 Bloomfield. The CIAC web site has all tourney scores.

Reaction Score
I give Shelton credit, the score looks worse then what actually occurred on the field. Shelton's defense held Darien to only 6 points in the first half. Shelton lost their starting QB early in the game to a collar bone injury. His back up threw two pick 6s. Darien led 18-0 at the half. Shelton could get very little going offensively all game, credit that to Darien's outstanding defense. Shelton's defense was on the field far too long and just wore down. 39-7 was not indicative of how hard Shelton played. They were undermanned and beat up but it was a gutsy effort. Darien is just too good defensively and very efficient on offense. They don't make many mistakes. Even at full strength, I don't know if Shelton wins but, they left everything on the field.

Reaction Score
Bloomfield jumped out to a 14-0 halftime lead, on two Phillips 22-yard TD passes. Ansonia tied it at 14 in the second half. After a Bloomfield FG put them ahead 17-14, the Warhawks stayed in front for good. With Bloomfield ahead 24-14, Ansonia scored on a 22-yard screen pass to cut it to 24-20 (missed 2 pt convention, not sure why they didn't kick the extra point there to make it a one possession game.) with less then 4:00 remaining. Bloomfield recovered the ensuing onside kick (Again, not sure why they didn't kick deep, with TOs remaining at that point, possibly fearing a long return...I guess.). Ansonia dropped a would be INT on 2nd and long, that would have given them the ball, with a chance. But, Bloomfield converted some big plays down the stretch driving to the Ansonia 1, with under 2 minutes to play. Ansonia, out of time outs expected Bloomfield to kneel on the ball. Bloomfield, seeing Ansonia was playing soft, struck one more time, a 1-yd TD pass that put them ahead 31-20. It was a good game, with back and forth momentum swings. In the end Bloomfield was able to expose Ansonia's weaknesses, getting their quicker athletes in space in the secondary. Phillips made big plays with his arm and his legs at times. Andrell Pinnock kept the Ansonia defense honest with some strong runs. Bloomfield was the better team, with 20 seniors. Ansonia will lose a few key players (namely Bagley and Bailey who are being recruited heavily by UMass), but they were young and inexperienced, especially on the offensive line, coming into the season. They will return plenty of experienced players and they have some promising young sophomore skill players that same varsity time.

Reaction Score
Give North Haven credit, as well. New Canaan had a huge size advance on both sides of the ball. Early on it looked like NC was going to dominant the game, but NH just hung around. They are a gritty bunch and came up a little short. I thought this game could get away from North Haven, but they were able to throw the ball enough to keep NC honest. This was probably the best GAME of the day. Two good, well coached, teams trying to impose their will on the other. In the end, Cognetta and Collins, were the two best players on the field and NC came out on top despite a valiant effort from Montano & Co.

Reaction Score
Give North Haven credit, as well. New Canaan had a huge size advance on both sides of the ball. Early on it looked like NC was going to dominant the game, but NH just hung around. They are a gritty bunch and came up a little short. I thought this game could get away from North Haven, but they were able to throw the ball enough to keep NC honest. This was probably the best GAME of the day. Two good, well coached, teams trying to impose their will on the other. In the end, Cognetta and Collins, were the two best players on the field and NC came out on top despite a valiant effort from Montano & Co.
NH was legit. They were clearly the 3rd best team in Connecticut this year

Reaction Score
Maxpreps/Calpreps final standings (prep schools removed) with Strength of Schedule added just for fun

TEAM SOS
1. Darien (25.7)
2. New Canaan (27.1)
3. Shelton (22.3)
4. North Haven (13.5)
5. Brookfield (16.7)
6. NDWH (21.9)
7. New Fairfield (16.7)
8. Newtown (16.6)
9. Southington (8.9)
10. Windsor (8.2)

11. Bloomfield (7.4)
12. Ridgefield (14.5)
13. Staples (24.8)
14. Ansonia (1.6)
15. West Haven (21.5)

Reaction Score
NH was legit. They were clearly the 3rd best team in Connecticut this year

If NH is your 3rd best team maybe Wethersfield should get a little bump. They only lost by a touchdown at NH.

Maybe a case of "Brand recognition" (or lack of brand recognition).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If NH is your 3rd best team maybe Wethersfield should get a little bump. They only lost by a touchdown at NH.

Maybe a case of "Brand recognition" (or lack of brand recognition).

They don't have a single good win.

Reaction Score
Hartford Courant (aka the Tom Yantz has no idea what he's talking about Opinion Poll ) top 10 Poll:

1. Darien
2. New Canaan
3. North Haven
4. Shelton
5. Bloomfield (lol)
6. Southington
7. Brookfield
8. Ansonia (lol)
9. New Fairfield
10a. Windsor
10b. Wethersfield

Reaction Score
The FINAL 2015 GameTimeCT / Register Top 10
http://www.gametimect.com/the-final-2015-gametimect-register-top-10-football-poll-darien-is-no-1/

1. Darien
2. New Canaan
3. North Haven
4. Shelton
5. Southington
6. Windsor
7. Bloomfield (lol)
8. Brookfield
9. Wethersfield
10. New Fairfield

Others receiving votes:
Ansonia (12-1), 331; Notre Dame-West Haven (9-3), 286; Newtown (10-2), 277; Glastonbury (8-2), 263; Ledyard (10-2), 129; Seymour (10-2) and Trinity Catholic (9-2), 42; Ridgefield (7-2), 16; Killingly (10-2) and Staples (7-3), 14; Granby (10-1), Harding (10-1), Middletown (8-3) and Torrington (9-2), 7.

Reaction Score
The FINAL 2015 GameTimeCT / Register Top 10

You just beat me to it. Bloomfield @ 7 is absurd. Ansonia getting that many votes @ 11 is equally absurd. Wayyy too much upstate bias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom