Chumpkin??? | The Boneyard

Chumpkin???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Has anyone watching the WNBA playoffs noticed that the intro song -- I think by that pop singer Gomez -- demands that we 'walk like a chumpkin, talk like a chumpkin'?

Chumpkin? What is that? Why would you want to walk or talk like a little chump? Assuming chumps have a particular way of walking and talking?

The title of the song includes 'champion,' I believe. Are champions chumps in today's culture? Are we all chumps?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We are the Chumpkins , my friends. And we'll keep on fighting til the end..........

.......Yes, we are the Chumkins of the world.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I have a feeling "our girls" will be performing Roar by Katy Perry at First Night...

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Chumpkin? What is that? Why would you want to walk or talk like a little chump? Assuming chumps have a particular way of walking and talking?

I think its very clear, if you have to ask what a chumpkin is...you are not one.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
You never know what you are going to get with the BY.

Reaction Score
... Are we all chumps?

No, some of us are chimps.

I read a book some time ago about training and domestication of chimpanzees. One communicating star was named Noam Chimpsky.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I think it means you're related to the actress who played the young girl in the movie My Girl.

Reaction Score
Has anyone watching the WNBA playoffs noticed that the intro song -- I think by that pop singer Gomez -- demands that we 'walk like a chumpkin, talk like a chumpkin'?

The title of the song includes 'champion,' I believe. Are champions chumps in today's culture? Are we all chumps?

#smh
Let me guess: you're not a member of Gen X, Y, or Z?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
According to the Urban Dictionary, a chumpkin is a "fat chick". Chubby pumpkin???? :confused:

As a side note, this thread comes up #4 on Google for "What's a chumpkin?" :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Perhaps Chumkin might refer to "Linus of Peanuts" who every year always continues to believe that the "Great Pumpkin" is sure to appear on each up coming Halloween eve. It could then have either a positive or negative meaning. One being that Linus is a chump for believing. The other celebrates maintaining an unshakable faith despite all negative past results. Which one we chose would then be entirely dependent on each's own personal perspective.

Reaction Score
For those who havent caught on yet, there is no "chumpkin." She is saying "champion", but because the song has a reggae beat, she puts an accent on it. Thus leading folks in the Geritol crowd to make a big deal over pronunciation.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Well, I think a chumpkin is part chipmunk, and part pumpkin, female in gender. The male result of this particular cross-breed is called a pimpmunk. If sterile, it's called a chippunk. :p

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
For those who havent caught on yet, there is no "chumpkin." She is saying "champion", but because the song has a reggae beat, she puts an accent on it. Thus leading folks in the Geritol crowd to make a big deal over pronunciation.

Well, Tina Charles is from Jamaica and I don't think she calls herself a "chumpkin" even though she has two NC rings!

Seriously, I didn't detect any reggae in that ditty. Or any West Indies accent.

If 'chumpkin' were a substitute for 'champion' in the youth culture or urban culture or developed organically in some other of our multiple cultures, I would think that's neat and only be bugged because I was ignorant about it (along with lots of other stuff). Based on responses here, however, 'chumpkin' apparently is only a synonym for champion in this one pop song.

In other words, it's a freakin' marketing tool -- a word manufactured simply to draw attention to itself. An attempt to be trendy and 'cool' with the ultimate goal of filling someone's wallet.

If we could trace 'chumpkin' to Bob Marley and its origins were organic ... well, OK. If the manufactuers of pop songs came up with it as a gimmick ... it's pathetic.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
According to the Urban Dictionary, a chumpkin is a "fat chick". Chubby pumpkin???? :confused:

As a side note, this thread comes up #4 on Google for "What's a chumpkin?" :rolleyes:

OK, that's it - that means I am a chumpkin....crap, I KNEW I should have ignored this thread

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok I finally listened to it, against my better judgement (and I was correct). I don't really hear "chumpkin". However she does sound like a chipmunk (especially with that auto-tune). What is she, 12?

Reaction Score
According to the Urban Dictionary, a chumpkin is a "fat chick". Chubby pumpkin???? ...
You're giving Urban Dictionary credence it doesn't deserve. That mishmash of 'words' is the most amateur dictionary on the 'Net.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You're giving Urban Dictionary credence it doesn't deserve. That mishmash of 'words' is the most amateur dictionary on the 'Net.
It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog