Chromecast | The Boneyard

Chromecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
No, just bought an Internet ready TV instead. But looks like a great deal, especially if we'll be on ESPN3 a lot.

Reaction Score
I work at Best Buy, so i made sure to pick one up the first day we got them in. Netflix, youtube, and Google Play movies works perfectly on it. I had a few issues with streaming my chrome tab/computer screen, but that feature is still in "beta." Can't wait for all the other services to come to chromecast.

Reaction Score
I was traveling recently and forgot my HDMI cable for my tablet. This looks great for vacations when you want to watch movies, youtube, view pics, etc. from your tablet (or smartphone) and display it on the hotel room TV or my father's 55' HD TV.

This device can do that right?

Reaction Score
I know people have been questioning hotel use as the device itself needs to be connected to WiFi to load video. Essentially, you use your tablet, phone, or computer as a remote, and send a video URL to the chromecast to load over WiFi.

Bringing it to a family or friends house should work flawlessly though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I've had one for a few days now. It's really easy to set up and I've streamed Netflix and Youtube from my Nexus 7, iPad and MacBook Air and played around with the Play store - run some free trailers. It's cheap and easy to use. Once they add HBO Go, It'll be even more amazing, but it's something most of us should have - game changer. A lot of talk about how it will be easy for anyone to bring along a presentation as well and cast it off their tablet onto a monitor or screen.

My only messup was I initially put it into the TV hdmi and I have a Denon receiver for sound - so I had to move it to the Denon and now I have sound as well as video!!

D

Deleted member 3149

It is, or isn't hosting espn3 yet? That's a huge game changer...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It is, or isn't hosting espn3 yet? That's a huge game changer...

If I'm understanding the description of the device correctly, it streams exactly what you see on your computer screen to the TV. So you can load ESPN3 on the computer and it should show up on your TV.

My question would be about the quality. Whenever I've tried to plug my laptop into my TV, even with an HDMI cable, I get a poor picture, even worse than what I see on the computer.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Apple TV already has HBO Go and ESPN3. I love it...has Netflix, can mirror my iphone, ipad, macbook pro, itunes, etc. The only thing it's missing is Amazon instant video (I'm sure for competitive reasons), but I used my bluray player to stream that.

Reaction Score
To stream ESPN right now you have to stream from a computer browser which is currently in "beta" so it may not work that well. But this an android type device, so an SDK is out and developers are currently making other services compatible.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
ordered mine from the play store the 2 days after launch.. its sposed to ship next week.. i guess second round of them... I hope we get some sort of plex compatibility...

Drumguy

Reaction Score
If I'm understanding the description of the device correctly, it streams exactly what you see on your computer screen to the TV. So you can load ESPN3 on the computer and it should show up on your TV.

My question would be about the quality. Whenever I've tried to plug my laptop into my TV, even with an HDMI cable, I get a poor picture, even worse than what I see on the computer.
The quality is great. The last couple of days I've watched 5 episodes of Breaking Bad and the movie, Safety not guaranteed. All were excellent.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If that's the case, I could show my Amazon Prime videos on my TV. As a rule, Amazon does not allow this now. I have to purchase or rent many shows and videos via Amazon Instant Video in order to watch them on my TV (via my TiVo).

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
If that's the case, I could show my Amazon Prime videos on my TV. As a rule, Amazon does not allow this now. I have to purchase or rent many shows and videos via Amazon Instant Video in order to watch them on my TV (via my TiVo).

I purchased the latest Roku box and it will stream netflix, hbo go, amazon prime, youtube, hulu (which I don't get), and others.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Does the picture take-up the entire TV screen or are there borders all around?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I've fought with Charter Cable for years about their non support of TiVo. If I chose to use Tvo instead of a Chart DVR, I am unable to get the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc).

I won't give up my TiVo, but admit I do miss Game of Thrones, etc. (I can't stand watching them on my iPad).

This sounds like a great alternative. Is there a monthly fee?
I purchased the latest Roku box and it will stream netflix, hbo go, amazon prime, youtube, hulu (which I don't get), and others.

Reaction Score
Apple TV, chromecast, roku and the like are just devices that access services, so no monthly fee.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Apple TV, chromecast, roku and the like are just devices that access services, so no monthly fee.

If that is the case, Chromecast seems to be the cheapest, and easiest to use. I just looked into Roku, and it seems to be a bit more complicated (needing a separate power source).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If that is the case, Chromecast seems to be the cheapest, and easiest to use. I just looked into Roku, and it seems to be a bit more complicated (needing a separate power source).

Chromecast needs a power source as well - it has a small power brick.

It's the easily the most limited of the TV 'boxes' - it is strictly a streaming device. You need to have your phone, tablet or computer running Chrome and a strong wifi network to use it. It's a fussier set-up than Roku or Apple. (Obviously, you also need a cable subscription to HBO or Showtime or whatever to view those sites online. By comparison, Air Play or something the HBO Go app on the Apple TV is much tidier.)

I can't see using it at home instead of the Apple TV or just the Netflix app built into the television itself, but I've been staying in hotels for two weeks and the Chromecast travels very nicely with me. (It was unable to connect to one hotel's network, but where it can, it's nice.)

And for $35, why not?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

As Fishy pointed out, you have to pay to have HBO to get access to HBO Go however you get it to your tv. I ran a cable from my router through the floor, along the basement ceiling, then up with the cable to my #1 TV in the living room to not have to rely on wireless (although wireless was working pretty well). Very good quality picture.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
tom, some of the uses I've heard are for teachers using it to project a presentation at school from the google drive app or Chrome, so its portability is supposed to be one of the biggest selling points. While you do need power, you don't have to have a controller which you do with roku, (which my daughter has and is a fine product as well).

Reaction Score
So I understand this correctly, it can stream via web (e.g. youtube) and also through a media player app on phone/tablet via high speed internet?

For example I transfer movies on to my tablet and I can then watch them on any TV by streaming it through Chromecast? Because right now I use a hdmi cable to connect to a TV to watch movies or duplicate my phone/tablet screenUsing the cable I don't need an internet connection.

I'm hoping Chromecast can be an alternative since it seems very portable with more program options. Simply put "giving me a bigger monitor".

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I think I am going to go with Roku, primarily because of the programs available. I'd like to be able to access Amazon Prime, HBO GO (yes, I'll get a subscription), and Showtime, if available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom