Christyn Williams TIK-TOK goes viral | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams TIK-TOK goes viral

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My favorite player on last year's team was Kyla. She wanted to be a part of this program and contribute in whatever way she could even if there were many times she never got off the bench.
The fact is the Walker's of the world made this program what it is not the Kyla's.

Reaction Score
Maybe he meant Walker was gonna leave the second she could. Because I believe from someone close to her that decision was made before last season. Either way, that's not totally uncommon and totally common most everywhere.

**No reason to rehash.**

Good luck to her and kudos to Christyn!

Reaction Score
Today’s Courant celebrates the team‘s participation in Black Lives Matter, pointing out it is one of the first programs in the country to present a united front. CW drew fire but let us support her both on the court and in life.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I didn't see this posted but thought it was well worth sharing. Obviously, Kyla stands firmly with Christyn and all of her other former teammates that are speaking up and acting in the fight for equality and policing reform.

Or, there are many, many people of my generation and older, who spent their lives speaking out, doing the right thing, but we are now either too old, too tired, or not well enough to be on the front line of these protests.

I'm at high risk of serious complications if I get COVID: Age, CKD, COPD, etc. Don't assume anyone not marching and carrying a sign hadn't done their share.

The meme shared may be well intentioned, but it is rooted in ignorance.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Or, there are many, many people of my generation and older, who spent their lives speaking out, doing the right thing, but we are now either too old, too tired, or not well enough to be on the front line of these protests.

I'm at high risk of serious complications if I get COVID: Age, CKD, COPD, etc. Don't assume anyone not marching and carrying a sign hadn't done their share.

The meme shared may be well intentioned, but it is rooted in ignorance.

Just because you can’t go out and march doesn’t mean that you have to choose neutrality in situations of injustice.

Donating to related charities and legal funds, supporting small businesses (especially those that are minority owned) that are impacted by the protests or those that are stepping up and donating food and water, and even just addressing blatantly racist behavior amongst your friends and family can be all done from home.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Just because you can’t go out and march doesn’t mean that you have to choose neutrality in situations of injustice.

Donating to related charities and legal funds, supporting small businesses (especially those that are minority owned) that are impacted by the protests or those that are stepping up and donating food and water, and even just addressing blatantly racist behavior amongst your friends and family can be all done from home.

You can only assume we don't do so, because we don't have cameras on our ever action. You assume we don't, but you'd be very, very wrong.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Today’s Courant celebrates the team‘s participation in Black Lives Matter, pointing out it is one of the first programs in the country to present a united front. CW drew fire but let us support her both on the court and in life.
Mike Anthony also notes that Christyn, Olivia, and Evina are team captains. Not sure I had heard that before, thought it's not surprising.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
You can only assume we don't do so, because we don't have cameras on our ever action. You assume we don't, but you'd be very, very wrong.

Who’s assuming?

Kyla’s post didn’t say anything about taking to the streets and putting yourself in harm’s way, but rather linked to petitions and places to donate.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Who’s assuming?

Kyla’s post didn’t say anything about taking to the streets and putting yourself in harm’s way, but rather linked to petitions and places to donate.

Argonaut said:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Argonaut said:

I’m still trying to figure out why you’re feeling so triggered.

No one has said that going out and marching in the middle of a pandemic is the only way to show your support for the Black community, yet that’s what you’re implying everyone is saying.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

As temery suggested, correctly, lack of public activity does not equate to neutrality.
Some of us were very visible in our efforts in the 1950s through the end of the last century, and have found other ways to try to be useful since then. I think we are all on the same side as far as beliefs and intentions, and differ mostly in our tactics.

I applaud Christyn's efforts. I admire and respect both Argonaut and temery as well. We each strive to make a difference as we are able, and in the manner consistent with our own integrity.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
As temery suggested, correctly, lack of public activity does not equate to neutrality.
Some of us were very visible in our efforts in the 1950s through the end of the last century, and have found other ways to try to be useful since then. I think we are all on the same side as far as beliefs and intentions, and differ mostly in our tactics.

I applaud Christyn's efforts. I admire and respect both Argonaut and temery as well. We each strive to make a difference as we are able, and in the manner consistent with our own integrity.

So how does any of that go against what Kyla posted, which Temery regards as “rooted in ignorance”?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But some old-timers still get out there. Where upon the cops put you in the hospital and lie about it, then have the president drag you through the mud. And you can't fight back because your still in serious condition due to the police brutality.

Reaction Score
Maybe he meant Walker was gonna leave the second she could. Because I believe from someone close to her that decision was made before last season. Either way, that's not totally uncommon and totally common most everywhere.

**No reason to rehash.**

Good luck to her and kudos to Christyn!

Mookie didn't "leave," he was traded. Again, his comparison makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Mookie didn't "leave," he was traded. Again, his comparison makes no sense.
Mookie was never going to finish his career in Boston. That was no secret. It had been clear for a while that his heart wasn't in Boston. He like others before him disliked dealing with all that came with playing for a high profile team like the Red Sox. It's hard to play there, just like Storrs, and some players just don't want to deal with that burden, so they bolt the first chance they get. From a personality perspective, the quiet brooding types like Betts, Carl Crawford, or David Price don't like the extra weight on their shoulders, while the David Ortizes of the world thrive in that kind of limelight. Sometimes you can have all the talent in the world, but you still need to be a good personality fit to maximize your potential and impact on a team. This synergy is broadly referred to as chemistry, and can make the difference between coming up just short and getting over the hump.

Last edited:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
It seems as though every question, every problem we face today is framed in a binary format.
"you're part of the solution or part of the problem."
"you're either for us or against us."
Yes/No. Right/Wrong.

We're human. We're complicated. We weren't raised the same, we didn't have the same life experiences, so yes we have different perspectives. And every question we face shouldn't have an answer based on predetermined political beliefs.

Maybe, just maybe when someone on the other side speaks, we should try understanding what he/she is saying, instead of marshaling our prepared counter arguments.

Respect, understanding, forgiveness. These work in any culture,and should work in any political continuum.

Reaction Score
Mookie was never going to finish his career in Boston. That was no secret. It had been clear for a while that his heart wasn't in Boston. He like others before him disliked dealing with all that came with playing for a high profile team like the Red Sox. It's hard to play there, just like Storrs, and some players just don't want to deal with that burden, so they bolt the first chance they get. From a personality perspective, the quiet brooding types like Betts, Carl Crawford, or David Price don't like the extra weight on their shoulders, while the David Ortizes of the world thrive in that kind of limelight. Sometimes you can have all the talent in the world, but you still need to be a good personality fit to maximize your potential and impact on a team. This synergy is broadly referred to as chemistry, and can make the difference between coming up just short and getting over the hump.

We will never know, because the Red Sox never made him a serious offer. And your comparison of Mookie with Price or Crawford is silly. Mookie excelled as a Red Sox like few before him. He's arguably the second best player in baseball. What more should be expected of him?

This is going far afield from the thread. Last I'm posting about Mookie. Back to basketball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is a false dichotomy. It's not either/or. Both players (and the players like them who came before them) made this program what it is.
I know that's nice to say, but not really.

Reaction Score
I know that's nice to say, but not really.

No. Really. A successful program is about culture first, then winning. Winning without the right culture is not sustainable in the long run. And UConn has clearly demonstrated that they are able to win year after year after year. 12 Final Fours in a row and counting. Every player, every person in the program is responsible for building and sustaining that culture. Megan and Molly. Maya and Maria. Breanna and Briana. All of them, each of them.

So yes. Really.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But having say, 4 out of the Top 6 draft picks and the GOAT really helps, you must admit.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
But some old-timers still get out there. Where upon the cops put you in the hospital and lie about it, then have the president drag you through the mud. And you can't fight back because your still in serious condition due to the police brutality.

what?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom