Christyn Williams: Redemption Series - Part 1 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams: Redemption Series - Part 1

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good for her. "So... I really didn't like that question". Sean McFarland from the Hartford Courant will probably think twice before asking any UCONN player a dumb question like that again.

He basically asked "It seemed like they had an answer every time you made a run. How disheartening was that"?

She was pretty flabbergasted at the question and said at one point "I mean, you watched the game right?". She ended it with her comment on not liking the question. Good for her for being honest.

Anyway most of the video was of her rehabbing. I hope she comes back better than ever! Go CW! Want to see you as an AA on the wall of honor!!!

Reaction Score
Before I had the same surgery...just out of the blue I would get sharp pains running down to my fingers like I was shocked or hit on the fingers with a hammer. What a relief.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good for her. "So... I really didn't like that question". Sean McFarland from the Hartford Courant will probably think twice before asking any UCONN player a dumb question like that again.

He basically asked "It seemed like they had an answer every time you made a run. How disheartening was that"?

She was pretty flabbergasted at the question and said at one point "I mean, you watched the game right?". She ended it with her comment on not liking the question. Good for her for being honest.

Anyway most of the video was of her rehabbing. I hope she comes back better than ever! Go CW! Want to see you as an AA on the wall of honor!!!
I’ve gone off before on reporters that ask stupid, dumb or condescending questions like that one. They teach students how to write in journalism school. Somewhere in that curriculum should be a class on how to conduct an interview and how to choose questions.

Why do reporters like to ask players that just lost a game how they feel? Or as one player referred to an irrelevant personal question that had nothing to do with the game as “a clown question.”

Doris Burke is one of my favorite reporters/analyst. She’s a pro’s pro that has done lots of post game interviews. Of course I haven’t seen or heard them all, but I’ve never heard her ask a dumb question during an interview.

Retired Dodger broadcaster Vin Scully was an excellent interviewer. He never made players, coaches or managers that talked to him uncomfortable by asking dumb or condescending questions. He too was a pro’s pro. So was Laker broadcaster Chick Hearn.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I’ve gone off before on reporters that ask stupid, dumb or condescending questions like that one. They teach students how to write in journalism school. Somewhere in that curriculum should be a class on how to conduct an interview and how to choose questions.

Why do reporters like to ask players that just lost a game how they feel? Or as one player referred to an irrelevant personal question that had nothing to do with the game as “a clown question.”

Doris Burke is one of my favorite reporters/analyst. She’s a pro’s pro that has done lots of post game interviews. Of course I haven’t seen or heard them all, but I’ve never heard her ask a dumb question during an interview.

Retired Dodger broadcaster Vin Scully was an excellent interviewer. He never made players, coaches or managers that talked to him uncomfortable by asking dumb or condescending questions. He too was a pro’s pro. So was Laker broadcaster Chick Hearn.
I grew up listening to Cubs Jack Brickhouse and later Harry Caray. Both were great interviewers and didn't ask silly questions. Many of the newer announcers and writers want to get the clicks and think that asking questions like Sean McFarland did gets them the clicks.

Reaction Score

It was nor really a question, but a statement that pointed out that Uconn underestimated Arizona and took them too lightly. She did not like the question because it touched on a sore but very true point. One could see that she was emotionally crushed by that defeat. I doubt she would have reacted the same against a team like Stanford or South Carolina. What the reporter was pointing out was that this was less an upset and more that Arizona was a very good team that was under estimated and taken to lightly. The UConn team thought they had an easly win against Arizona and were shocked at the outcome. She did not like the question because she had not processed the reality yet and that made her uncomfortable.

As a high profile player on a high profile team you are expected to be able to deal with Pressors. It was not really a stupid question. It was not a question at all but an observation that the questioner wanted a response to. The proper response would have been that they are a very good team and responded to our every challenge. They were better than us this night. She could not say that because she was still in shock to that reality. The reason that some of you have the same perspective is that you still have trouble dealing with the same reality.

As upsetting as it was, it was probably a valuable lesson for her. Usually we learn more in defeat and discomfort that we do in victory and pleasent feelings. She will have grown from and be stronger for that experience and ultimately that is more important than any acculades we win. What does not kill me makes me stronger. She has used her first couple seasons as impetus to make herself a better player and in the same vain this experience should build her character as well.

We have unfortunately developed into a society that attempts to protect our children from any sort of discomfort or stress. This shows a lack of faith in their abilitiy to overcome and get stronger through challenge.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It was nor really a question, but a statement that pointed out that Uconn underestimated Arizona and took them too lightly. She did not like the question because it touched on a sore but very true point. One could see that she was emotionally crushed by that defeat. I doubt she would have reacted the same against a team like Stanford or South Carolina. What the reporter was pointing out was that this was less an upset and more that Arizona was a very good team that was under estimated and taken to lightly. The UConn team thought they had an easly win against Arizona and were shocked at the outcome. She did not like the question because she had not processed the reality yet and that made her uncomfortable.

As a high profile player on a high profile team you are expected to be able to deal with Pressors. It was not really a stupid question. It was not a question at all but an observation that the questioner wanted a response to. The proper response would have been that they are a very good team and responded to our every challenge. They were better than us this night. She could not say that because she was still in shock to that reality. The reason that some of you have the same perspective is that you still have trouble dealing with the same reality.

As upsetting as it was, it was probably a valuable lesson for her. Usually we learn more in defeat and discomfort that we do in victory and pleasent feelings. She will have grown from and be stronger for that experience and ultimately that is more important than any acculades we win. What does not kill me makes me stronger. She has used her first couple seasons as impetus to make herself a better player and in the same vain this experience should build her character as well.

We have unfortunately developed into a society that attempts to protect our children from any sort of discomfort or stress. This shows a lack of faith in their abilitiy to overcome and get stronger through challenge.

Lol It was a question. “How disheartening was it...?” It was a leading question that suggested the rather obvious answer. Nowhere embedded in the question was there a suggestion that the team underestimated Arizona or took them lightly.

She dealt with the question just fine.

Reaction Score

So you would rather psychoanalyzed her and the team.Head bang I'm not even going to address the (in)appropriateness of the question at hand. Rather, I am annoyed at the extend to which journalists have been allowed to borrow a specific mode of questioning/interrogation from psy/med into the public/general realm. How do you fee....; what is it like when ..., etc. We may call it the 'feeling states...' The problem with this line of discourse is that it infantalises US. What could she have said?-- I felt terrible. there is a suicidal watch. Who cares, it's only a game. it's going to make us stronger, tomorrow-- a little of this (sadness) and some of that (we are a better team already)? Having watched some of these 'opened-practices', pre and post-games, they usually leave me wondering why the newspaper not send students to do the coverage. Do they lack respect for college students. For themselves. Task at hand. I can count how many repetitious questions and how quickly they follow from the last one. How many times a student had to say-- 'like I said....' The Uconn players who are send out are usually well prepared and, its an injustice to have used their time for unprepared reporters. Phee had even a better take down than CW, and Anna M when asked about playing so far from home and family snapped: this was not my first time living away, etc. (I'm not some pre-HS kid).

Reaction Score
Just mirrors the general SOP for modern media.
Can't count how many times, after a tragedy ( house fire, plane crash, shooting) someone sticks a microphone in some poor soul's face and asks them "How do you feel?" I mean how do you THINK they feel?!
I don't personally believe that the road to encouraging decency and civility goes through violence, but if the person being subjected to that type of cruelty and lack of respect, punched the "journalist"in the nose, I might be more inclined to give them a pass.
Just to be clear, I don't think that would apply to a dumb question about a basketball game.
I would just ignore the question and, henceforth, the questioner.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So you would rather psychoanalyzed her and the team.Head bang I'm not even going to address the (in)appropriateness of the question at hand. Rather, I am annoyed at the extend to which journalists have been allowed to borrow a specific mode of questioning/interrogation from psy/med into the public/general realm. How do you fee....; what is it like when ..., etc. We may call it the 'feeling states...' The problem with this line of discourse is that it infantalises US. What could she have said?-- I felt terrible. there is a suicidal watch. Who cares, it's only a game. it's going to make us stronger, tomorrow-- a little of this (sadness) and some of that (we are a better team already)? Having watched some of these 'opened-practices', pre and post-games, they usually leave me wondering why the newspaper not send students to do the coverage. Do they lack respect for college students. For themselves. Task at hand. I can count how many repetitious questions and how quickly they follow from the last one. How many times a student had to say-- 'like I said....' The Uconn players who are send out are usually well prepared and, its an injustice to have used their time for unprepared reporters. Phee had even a better take down than CW, and Anna M when asked about playing so far from home and family snapped: this was not my first time living away, etc. (I'm not some pre-HS kid).
100 likes to you for this post. :)

Reaction Score

I understand the points you’re making but have to disagree. These are kids, they aren’t professional athletes…yet. CW had enough respect for the journalists that she came out of the locker room and fulfilled her duty of answering a few questions. Her nose was red, eyes glossy/bloodshot and she had clearly been crying pretty hard but STILL came out to answer some questions. I just think it’s so inappropriate to ask a kid that question in the state she was in after the heart breaking loss. He should have done and known better.
If the reporter is pointing out what you think he was he should have worded it that way instead of asking “how disheartening was it…” uhm I think it’s written all over her face how disheartening it was.
I like that reporter he’s usually pretty good so it is what it is, but I don’t blame her for the response she had at al.

Reaction Score
The holy grail of sports journalism is tears. Making the athlete cry on camera. That's what is being done when an athlete loses and is asked "how does it feel?" They are looking for vulnerability & emotion. That's what the writer was doing when they asked Westbrook "what changes are needed" after Tenn lost her last game in orange. The players are in a vulnerable state and the writers use that. They are looking for provocative reactions that can be milked. Westbrook is still being trashed over on VN for her honest answer, an answer that had been offered for months or years on the LV boards.
It can also be seen on the broadcasts of games, when the camera zooms in on a player for the losing team when she is sitting on the bench at the end of a game. They are waiting for tears.

Fans want the women's game to be on a level with the Men? Tough interviews go with the territory.

Reaction Score
I said it before I don't think there's a player more scrutinized in Uconn wbb history than Williams. From some fans, from her hc, from having to live up to #1 recruit expectations. There is no more sr that has had the pressure than her. I just hope people are respectful if it does not end in a ntl title for her. That she had a great career here and will do great things in the WNBA.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I said it before I don't think there's a player more scrutinized in Uconn wbb history than Williams. From some fans, from her hc, from having to live up to #1 recruit expectations. There is no more sr that has had the pressure than her. I just hope people are respectful if it does not end in a ntl title for her. That she had a great career here and will do great things in the WNBA.
I think Christyn put real pressure on herself without knowing it before she stepped foot on UConns campus. When asked what she wanted from her collegiate career, she responded by saying "I want to be legrndary". I believe this was while she was still in High School, just after she committed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Christyn put real pressure on herself without knowing it before she stepped foot on UConns campus. When asked what she wanted from her collegiate career, she responded by saying "I want to be legrndary". I believe this was while she was still in High School, just after she committed.
Probably not fair to get hung up on a single word or sentence in a lengthy interview. Christyn said a lot during this interview about why she chose UCONN.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
My vote would go to Charde Houston as most scrutinized, or at least the recipient of the most brutal comments.

Scratch that last part, Maria Conlon has been the recipient of the most brutal comments, but those were mainly from one or two posters, so does not qualify as most scrutinized.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
My vote would go to Charde Houston as most scrutinized, or at least the recipient of the most brutal comments.

Scratch that last part, Maria Conlon has been the recipient of the most brutal comments, but those were mainly from one or two posters, so does not qualify as most scrutinized.
brutal comments? seems you've forgotten autumn, and she was just a walk-on

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't agree with this at all. Megan Walker faced far more scrutiny while at UCONN than Williams ever did. Imagine being the #1recruit in your HS class and never making it off the bench while your team is playing an OT game in the final four. Imagine being a fairly shy kid and having to morph into a vocal leader as an upperclassman because that's what your team needed most. Imagine overcoming all of that to become an AA and then leaving UCONN with eligibility remaining to chase your WNBA dream. Sadly enough Megan departure was not perceived by some as chasing a dream . To some Megan quit on her team.
Quiet as it is kept Christyn Williams is turning out to be one of the better tournament performers in UCONN history. She average 19 PPG in 5 tournament as a Freshman and finished her second tournament by scoring 27, 21 and 20 points against in consecutive games against Iowa, Baylor and Arizona. That Christyn Williams is pretty good eh. @Jingo.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
brutal comments? seems you've forgotten autumn, and she was just a walk-on
I’ll grant you that the Autumn comments were more brutal than those for Houston, though in Heart of a Husky she received criticism from her own teammates. However, they were not more brutal than those for Conlon, at least by one poster in particular.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom