Christyn Williams elbow surgery | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams elbow surgery

Reaction Score
Have previously posted this but there are several Boston based studies that blame the increase in women's sports injuries on the trend to specialize on one sport. Supposedly creases stress on specific muscle groups that never have time to relax and/or heal.
Without question; specialization, year round training/competition, strength conditioning overuse have taken a huge toll on women athletes. It's being seen at a younger age, also. Too much of anything is not a good thing!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Have previously posted this but there are several Boston based studies that blame the increase in women's sports injuries on the trend to specialize on one sport. Supposedly creases stress on specific muscle groups that never have time to relax and/or heal.
While I agree with the premise, it’s doubtful that Christyn’s elbow injury had anything to do with the fact that she specializes in basketball. Baseball pitchers, tennis players and golfers all have the potential to injure their elbow. There just isn’t that much stress on an elbow from playing basketball. I suspect Christyn sustained the injury either from a hard fall or perhaps from an improper weight lifting technique on bicep curls.

Reaction Score
Last chance for Christyn to put it all together and have one hell of a senior year. She’s a great athlete capable of doing some great things. No excuses, no regrets, no remorse. Hunker down, bear down and get it done!! UConn Nation is firmly behind you.
When CW is on, she can ruin the opposition. She can hit 3's, slice through zones or leave her single coverage wondering where she went as she drives to the basket, lock-down and neutralize the opposition's best offensive threat, etc.
But when she goes into a self-inflicted funk, I bang my head against whatever hard surface is handy.
It would almost pay to have one of the newbies have a special assignment when they are not too busy.
Follow CW around wherever she goes and keep telling her that she CAN be one of the best in the game if she puts her mind to it.

Reaction Score
4 HS #1’s if you include Evina, who was tops on one of the rating services.

As for Christyn, the one thing we know is that she puts in a tremendous amount of work during the off-season. Unless the elbow surgery has a long term prognosis for recovery, I expect she’ll be 100% for the season.

Since the injury was clearly to her left elbow, I wonder if it affected her shooting, and following surgery, I also wonder if she might just become a better shooter this season………
Since I presume we don't know when this injury happened, I guess there is a possibility that all of our guard/wings were affected at least somewhat by injury while playing last year. Clearly Anna and Nika had injuries that caused them to miss games and probably hampered them in others, and Paige continued to play with an ankle problem, Evina had minutes monitored in practice and clearly wasn't 100% recovered, and now possibly Christyn might have been playing with a problem, although this injury could have happened after the season as well.

It seems like when an injury is significant enough to keep a player out of a game, we get more of an explanation, but if they can still play with it, little is said perhaps strategically to not let opponents know.

I have no idea about the details with Christyn, but I hope and expect Nika will have a healthier year and be better as a result. Evina like many players coming off major knee surgery could be much better in the second year back. Paige presumably if fully recovered should be healthier than the last part of her freshmen year, when she played with a condition that would need fixing during the summer. Even Azzi's surgery may be recent enough that her recovery is not 100% yet.

You could make a case for all of those players at least being modestly better this year because of health, but of course we have to hope that not many new issues pop up this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom