Christyn Williams elbow surgery | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams elbow surgery

Reaction Score
Really liked the video and will be interested to see the series. CW hears the doubters…now go and prove them wrong.
Someone said on Twitter it’ll be really interesting to see how this could develop her game since she can only use her off hand. I’m super interested to see.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
First, this is smart branding. There is an awful lot of talk about Paige and Azzi, and even some about Caroline, but Christyn has been flying under the radar.

Second, for all the talent we have on the steam, and there is a lot of it CW is a key to our national championship hopes. Being able to send three high school number one players at teams is going to make us extraordinarily difficult to guard for 40 minutes. Plus, the trio of Paige, Azzi, and Caroline have to be guarded out to the arc. That opens up the floor and Christyn’s best skill set he’s driving to the hoop. Plus, we’ve seen that she has made the decision to be a lockdown defender. That is incredibly valuable to this team. If she doesn’t worry about taking too much on in trying to carry the team by herself, I think this is going to be a very good year for her. JMO.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm not a surgeon, nor do I ever intend to be one. But that large of a scar doesn't appear to me to arthroscopic surgery, but rather of the interpositional type. Whether I'm taking out of my hat or not, I hope her recovery is smooth and hiccup free.

Reaction Score
Wow what happened to her? Never heard about an elbow injury during last season!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
One good thing that comes out of the surgery is...She was forced to use her right arm and hand. Now she's more proficient with it and it will expand her game. Get well and come back stronger CW.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One good thing that comes out of the surgery is...She was forced to use her right arm and hand. Now she's more proficient with it and it will expand her game. Get well and come back stronger CW.

Great point! It would have been less painful to wrap the left in Saran Wrap (think Azzi), but it could help Squeaks.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Redemption summer

Last chance for Christyn to put it all together and have one hell of a senior year. She’s a great athlete capable of doing some great things. No excuses, no regrets, no remorse. Hunker down, bear down and get it done!! UConn Nation is firmly behind you.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
First, this is smart branding. There is an awful lot of talk about Paige and Azzi, and even some about Caroline, but Christyn has been flying under the radar.

Second, for all the talent we have on the steam, and there is a lot of it CW is a key to our national championship hopes. Being able to send three high school number one players at teams is going to make us extraordinarily difficult to guard for 40 minutes. Plus, the trio of Paige, Azzi, and Caroline have to be guarded out to the arc. That opens up the floor and Christyn’s best skill set he’s driving to the hoop. Plus, we’ve seen that she has made the decision to be a lockdown defender. That is incredibly valuable to this team. If she doesn’t worry about taking too much on in trying to carry the team by herself, I think this is going to be a very good year for her. JMO.
4 HS #1’s if you include Evina, who was tops on one of the rating services.

As for Christyn, the one thing we know is that she puts in a tremendous amount of work during the off-season. Unless the elbow surgery has a long term prognosis for recovery, I expect she’ll be 100% for the season.

Since the injury was clearly to her left elbow, I wonder if it affected her shooting, and following surgery, I also wonder if she might just become a better shooter this season………

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The number of significant injuries that occur in or related to women`s basketball is staggering. And depressing.

At least half of the current UConn roster - Williams, Fudd, Bueckers, Ducharme, Poffenbarger, Westbrook, Gabriel - have gone under the knife within the last few years. (Gabriel`s situation is murky, possibly not basketball related.) Muhl has been banged up a lot. There may be others.

Recent UConn stars Collier, Samuelson, Tuck, Stewart, Jefferson, G. Williams, and Dangerfield (I think - shoulder, right?) have dealt with significant injuries requiring surgery. May be others there as well. Many from prior eras also, although it seems like there has been an uptick in recent years. Does anyone else have that impression?

I seriously question the year round nature of basketball, with no apparent off-season to rest. True in other sports as well, like youth baseball. Leads to fatigue-related and chronic injuries. Playing overseas after the WNBA season - with the Olympic craziness thrown in this year as well - is a recipe for disaster.

Garnering Division I scholarships and the big bucks overseas, plus general competitiveness and love for the game, are driving the bus but maybe the bus ought to stay in the garage every now and then.

Losses, especially in the Final Four, are hard to swallow, but injuries are much worse, truly the heartbreaking part of being a UConn WCBB fan, or a fan of women`s basketball generally. Or of sports generally.

Hoping for Christyn`s full recovery!

And wishful thinking to hope for an injury free season for all teams and players, but I`m going to wish for it anyhow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The number of significant injuries that occur in or related to women`s basketball is staggering. And depressing.

At least half of the current UConn roster - Williams, Fudd, Bueckers, Ducharme, Poffenbarger, Westbrook, Gabriel - have gone under the knife within the last few years. (Gabriel`s situation is murky, possibly not basketball related.) Muhl has been banged up a lot. There may be others.

Recent UConn stars Collier, Samuelson, Tuck, Stewart, Jefferson, G. Williams, and Dangerfield (I think - shoulder, right?) have dealt with significant injuries requiring surgery. May be others there as well. Many from prior eras also, although it seems like there has been an uptick in recent years. Does anyone else have that impression?

I seriously question the year round nature of basketball, with no apparent off-season to rest. True in other sports as well, like youth baseball. Leads to fatigue-related and chronic injuries. Playing overseas after the WNBA season - with the Olympic craziness thrown in this year as well - is a recipe for disaster.

Garnering Division I scholarships and the big bucks overseas, plus general competitiveness and love for the game, are driving the bus but maybe the bus ought to stay in the garage every now and then.

Losses, especially in the Final Four, are hard to swallow, but injuries are much worse, truly the heartbreaking part of being a UConn WCBB fan, or a fan of women`s basketball generally. Or of sports generally.

Hoping for Christyn`s full recovery!

And wishful thinking to hope for an injury free season for all teams and players, but I`m going to wish for it anyhow.
I’m not sure this is just a basketball problem. I also follow women’s soccer (UNC) and this year it seems to me there are more injuries than ever for them. An excessive amount with at least 4 starters out for a month + and a considerable amount more on minutes restriction. This also seems to be a sport with limited off time, as there is a fall season and then a travel esc spring season and I’m sure everyone is training hard in between. It definitely is concerning and I hope technology/science either catches up to limit these or the teams/athletes slow themselves down to get healthy.

Also to add to the list, Mir was seen on crutches. I don’t think she had surgery but just another one hurt.

Reaction Score
Have previously posted this but there are several Boston based studies that blame the increase in women's sports injuries on the trend to specialize on one sport. Supposedly creases stress on specific muscle groups that never have time to relax and/or heal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom