Christyn Williams DESERVES to be a wooden nominee this year! | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams DESERVES to be a wooden nominee this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you look at the list of nominees, Christyn Williams has performed at a higher level than at least 4-5 of these nominees. Scoring, Shooting percentage, Defense, Overall game. She's not just one of our top scorers. She's also our shutdown guard defender. She doesn't get NEARLY the credit she deserves. She warrants being recognized appropriately.

Reaction Score
For example, Horston is shooting 37% and scoring about the same. Horston is rebounding better but the numbers do not make her an better overall player. There are others in similar situations. Even Haley Jones has worse shooting numbers and almost twice the number of turnovers. Maryland's Ashley Owusu? I don't think she has anything on Christyn. I could go on but I'm not wanting to disparage anyone. I just think Christyn is not getting the credit she deserves.

Reaction Score
I can't even process this statement.... one word, consistency and she doesn't have it. It's a shame the freshman Caroline has to bail her out scoring every night.....
That's BS. The bottom line is she's leading the team in scoring after Paige, shooting a decent percentage and is a solid defender. She warrants being on that list at least as much as 4-5 of them. Few players score the same amount every night. You can count on her defense and that is a lot.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately or fortunately, when you go to UConn the bar is a little bit higher. Pressure is a privilege!

Regardless of the stats, when you watch Jones, Owusu, and Horston they are leading their team and being the protagonist which gets attention. Chrystin just can't seem to do that for our team. Caroline is everywhere just killing herself to win and Chrystin just doesn't.... I'm sorry about it because she has so much talent.

With the injuries, Chrystin should have this team on her back scoring 25 a night as a senior.... Then she'd be on the list.

Reaction Score
Her numbers are right there with lots of players on that list and she plays for Uconn, a great team. Why does Maryland warrant 2 players on that list? Christyn had a lot of expectations on her from day one and it's really unfair. She is what she is and I for one see that she's top 20. I don't see where a sophomore with worse numbers on a worse team warrants being on that list above her.

Reaction Score
Did any of you compare the numbers? I think NO. She deserves far more than she gets on this forum, as does ONO also by the way. They didn't give you yet another National Championship but they got you to the final 4 every year. That doesn't make them failures.

Reaction Score
CW continually gets overlooked. She is UCONN's 2 best scorer after Paige, she is a good defender ! Look at the numbers!

Reaction Score
Charisma Osbourne is shooting 37.1%:

compared to Christyn's .455%:

If Christyn played for another team she would be launching up more shots and scoring 20 points per game. She shouldn't be penalized because she plays for Uconn and we have such ridiculous expectations for the team. If they don't win every year they are losers for some of you it seems.

Christyn should be at least in the conversation with 5-6 of these players. Lot's of these top 20 players are shooting under 40%.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The one thing I would point out is that UConn’s offense has never been built around one individual. Owusu and Horston in particular dominate offensive possession for MD & TN respectively. I haven’t seen a lot of MD games this year, but as far as TN is concerned, Horston is certainly the best player on the team, but she’s fallen into a Chennedy Carter hero-ball style of play. She’s putting up great numbers, but the LV’s are stumbling.

As far as Christyn is concerned, I’m delighted she is a Husky, and I strongly suspect she could care less whether or not she’s a candidate for the Wooden Award. Paige won every individual award in sight last season, and I have no doubt she would have given them all up to be able to hold up the national championship trophy with all of her teammates.

Reaction Score
Did any of you compare the numbers? I think NO. She deserves far more than she gets on this forum, as does ONO also by the way. They didn't give you yet another National Championship but they got you to the final 4 every year. That doesn't make them failures.
Somehow I’m missing all the posts in this thread that said CW is a failure.

Reaction Score
You guys don't appreciate what you've got. She's certainly in the conversation. I tried to give her some recognition. How would you feel if you were Christyn? She plays her heart out every game and gets grief constantly. And the shiny new objects of Paige, Azzi and Caroline get all the attention. She gets a lack of appreciation regularly even though she's putting up great numbers and playing great defense. She deserves to be in the conversation.

Reaction Score
You guys don't appreciate what you've got. She's certainly in the conversation. I tried to give her some recognition. Are you happy? Get some therapy.
no you're just a flat out homer, if anyone from Uconn roster would get a Wooden nomination is Olivia, why? Because she has been the most consistent player all season for the team.

Reaction Score
I’d urge you to look a bit deeper into the numbers, and look at how she’s fared against let’s say top 25 NET teams. Something tells me she has a tendency to put up bigger numbers against lesser competition, inflating her “stat sheet.” If her main identity is as a scorer, she’s scored under her average in every top 25 NET matchup except for Arkansas.

I can’t say I either agree or disagree with the assessment that she’s top 20 in the country, as I haven’t been as diligent at watching other teams this season. Just looking for a plausible reason to leave her off.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Comparing shooting percentages isn't really fair when you look at the top half of the Big East and compare it to the top halves of the Pac-12, SEC, Big Ten, or even the Big 12 this year. Williams is a gifted athlete and just like in high school she can blow by most lesser athletes and get to the basket. What hurts her is many of the UConn games that have been televised she's struggled or even looked lost. She is a great complimentary or third option. But in the games that UConn has lost (and that she's played in) or against ranked teams she has shot an average of 29% from the floor. I also don't think shooting percentage is the biggest factor in the Wooden award.

USF 37.5% NET 40 (10 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 stl, 5 TO)
USC 30% NET 1 (10 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 stl, 2 TO)
ND 25% NET 14 (4 points, 2 rebounds, 6 assists, 0 stl, 1 TO)
GT 31% NET 16 (13 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 stl, 4 TO)
Louisville 36% NET 4 (10 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assists, 2 stl, 2 TO)
Tennessee 18% NET 17 (6 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 0 stl, 3 TO)

for fun UCLA 30.8% NET 51 (11 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 stl, 1blk, 3 TO)

Big East
Creighton ~50% NET 33
DePaul 58% NET 42

Haven't played Marquette or Villanova yet.

I'm sure many teams would love to have her on their team and I'm sure her teammates love playing with her. But since she has the publicity she has and she hasn't shined when the lights are brightest, so she just isn't on this list.

I'm not sure which "sophomore with worse numbers on a worse team" but I assumed it's Angel Reese based on the context.
Reese is averaging 17.4 pts on 50.5% shooting and 10.5 rebounds (5.5 ORG)

If not, Caitlin Clark is the other sophomore on a "worse team" who is averaging 28.5 pts on 45.7% shooting and averaging 8.2 rbs and 8.2 assists

Osborne has a lower shooting percentage but she is averaging almost 2 more points a game. She also averages more rebounds and assists than Williams. Only 1 per but still.

Williams is on the Drysdale top ten and I think that should be enough. She's good at what she does. She's just not the pulse pusher of her team.

Reaction Score
ok @TeamFirst! new to the forum about a year, you’re right. Ok People? Oh and TF, change your avatar from our “shiny new object”
(I’m guessing TF is a youngster)
Why do some of you just itch to insult? I spent the time to look at the numbers for every player on that list. Did any of you do that? I tried to complement and appreciate Christyn. And what do I get? Insults. Uninformed insults. Christyn is a senior about to be a 1st round draft pick probably and many of you want her to be Larry Bird every night. I wonder how Christyn sees this? She deserves better fans.

And you don't know a damm thing about me really. You have no idea.

Reaction Score
Why do some of you just itch to insult? I spent the time to look at the numbers for every player on that list. Did any of you do that? I tried to complement and appreciate Christyn. And what do I get? Insults. Uninformed insults. Christyn is a senior about to be a 1st round draft pick probably and many of you want her to be Larry Bird every night. I wonder how Christyn sees this? She deserves better fans.

And you don't know a damm thing about me really. You have no idea.
I said you were right ok? I’m a “doggie” I always have an itch. You are telling avid long time fans that they don’t appreciate a player? Miss me with that BS! You are questioning our fandom? Off with your head!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom