Christyn William’s game vs DePaul | The Boneyard

Christyn William’s game vs DePaul

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I thought the DePaul game was one of Christyn’s best of the year. She cut to the basket through the zone, she got loose balls and steals, she did terrific job guarding the perimeter and she did all this days after the worst symptoms of Covid. If you watch the post-game interviews, she was coughing, something I can relate to as that lingers far past the worst of the symptoms as does fatigue.

Anywho, I thought Christyn played very loose and relaxed. I think in previous games, she was pushing herself too hard to make something happen and now, with Azzi and Caroline playing well against DePaul, Christyn could just focus on what she does best - slashing to the basket. She had no pressure to make threes since Azzi, Nika, Evina, and Caroline were hitting from the outside, so her game just sort of flowed rather than being forced. And she was awesome.

I especially appreciate the drive and dish aspect of her game. Christyn presented herself as a threat to score by slashing through the zone so the defense collapsed on her in the lane. When they did, she passed to a player on the perimeter who usually made the jumper. It was beautiful offense.

Keep it going Christyn!

Reaction Score
Christyn was tops. She is important to both defense and offense. Loved to see her drive in for lay-ups against the amazed DePaul defense. That has been one key missing from our tool kit. We seem to play much better at a faster pace. Perhaps that will be the major offensive change going forward now that we have most of our guards back.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Amen! Geno has pretty regularly said that Christyn can take the ball to the basket against anyone
in the country. That can lead to double-teams and assists and the occasional pull-up when defenders are going backwards.

Reaction Score
Christyn was tops. She is important to both defense and offense. Loved to see her drive in for lay-ups against the amazed DePaul defense. That has been one key missing from our tool kit. We seem to play much better at a faster pace. Perhaps that will be the major offensive change going forward now that we have most of our guards back.
Hell Yeah!
I would definitely settle for 80-85% of that performance every game.
Smooth and in control through out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Christyn has had her share of ups and downs at UConn. What I really like about her game over the past few weeks is that she’s just going out and playing. Grab a rebound. Drive to the basket. Kick the ball out to an open teammate. Dig in on D.

She is thinking less and basically reacting to whatever the game brings. It’s a beautiful thing to see.

Reaction Score
I agree. Watching C-Dub play against DePaul, it was a thing of beauty. Definitely one of her better games this year. All of her play on the offensive end just looked more fluid. Nothing forced. Just smooth. I agree. She looked relaxed out there. Well played game by C-Dub.

Reaction Score
Special and very different game for CW. Prior to several of the critical 4th Q drives that she made, Christine had open 10-15 footers that she passed up and got to Fudd and others. It the past, CW would speed up, often taking an unbalanced shot. Not sure what caused this change, but it was a major contributor to the win.

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more. One of her best games. 3 steals if I remember correctly and she shot efficiently and defended well. Not as many fast break points but that is understandable. If she has help with 3 point shooting it helps her game a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if Evina is having some difficulty recovering from covid herself ( I have no idea if she got covid but I sense that she has something that we have not been told about ). Christyn tries her heart out, as all the girls do really, and she doesn't get enough credit for being a huge contributor to team success. It seems it's always someone else getting the kudos.

Reaction Score
I thought this team began to turn the corner during the ND game. I was giddy before the final disaster happened. And one of the things I loved was that CWill was penetrating and we had to big time threats in that game in Paige and Ducharme.

Now that we have Azzi back - this is what makes CWill special now. She has that other "scoring perimeter player." Evina and Nika are not scorers. Azzi, Ducharme, and Paige are.

As long as Azzi can get off her shot quickly as it appears she can, then it means the offense will grow exponentially (even if not number 1 best but still pretty darn good now vs before when it was just flat out not near what we have been accustomed to.). CWill is a perfect compliment to both Azzi and CD.

The other games she has struggled is because the paint was clogged thus limiting what she is best at. Azzi and CD help her tremendously in that regard. And it's easier to find 2 perimeter scorers that move well without the ball than just 1.

Reaction Score
I thought this team began to turn the corner during the ND game. I was giddy before the final disaster happened. And one of the things I loved was that CWill was penetrating and we had to big time threats in that game in Paige and Ducharme.

Now that we have Azzi back - this is what makes CWill special now. She has that other "scoring perimeter player." Evina and Nika are not scorers. Azzi, Ducharme, and Paige are.

As long as Azzi can get off her shot quickly as it appears she can, then it means the offense will grow exponentially (even if not number 1 best but still pretty darn good now vs before when it was just flat out not near what we have been accustomed to.). CWill is a perfect compliment to both Azzi and CD.

The other games she has struggled is because the paint was clogged thus limiting what she is best at. Azzi and CD help her tremendously in that regard. And it's easier to find 2 perimeter scorers that move well without the ball than just 1.
The lane clogging is often the result of zone defense, some in foul trouble or bigs that lack mobility. As Williams is best penetrating off the dribble this combination is a tough lift for her. The pull-up jumper is best for CW if she recognizes it early enough. Another great strength of Williams is fastbreaks. She is a great finisher. Our current shooting guards less Beckers are a major step in the right direction at this time of year. Azzi looked much faster and had great court awareness during this past game. We are quickly becoming an opposing coach's nightmare. WOW.

Reaction Score
The lane clogging is often the result of zone defense, some in foul trouble or bigs that lack mobility. As Williams is best penetrating off the dribble this combination is a tough lift for her. The pull-up jumper is best for CW if she recognizes it early enough. Another great strength of Williams is fastbreaks. She is a great finisher. Our current shooting guards less Beckers are a major step in the right direction at this time of year. Azzi looked much faster and had great court awareness during this past game. We are quickly becoming an opposing coach's nightmare. WOW.
I think sagging man-to-man defenses impact her greatly too. And I'm not as high on her jump mid-range jump shot. I think she is a very good slasher for contested short shots using the backboard in the lane, and to a lesser extent a decent enough set shooter from 3.

I'm with you 100% in bold. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom