Christyn and ONO U-18 stats...good, bad and ugly... | The Boneyard

Christyn and ONO U-18 stats...good, bad and ugly...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Christyn U-18.JPG

The USA U-18 team dominated in Mexico, went 6-0 and brought home the Gold Medal. The two UConn players, Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa, had great moments and some not so good plays. Overall, they both showed raw talent and skill, but need Geno & CD's coaching.

1. The Good -
Olivia shot 22-43 from inside the arc, 51%. ;)
Christyn had 13 assists and only 5 turnovers. That is an assist to turnover ratio of 2.6, which is great.
CW can rebound..! 27 total including 10 on the offensive boards. ONO also had 27 rebounds.
ONO had 6 blocked shots and 4 steals.
Williams only had 3 fouls in 85 minutes. Lowest on the team.

2. The Bad -
Christyn went 2-8 from 3 pt range. 25%.
Olivia shot 11-19 from the free throw line. 57%.
Williams missed a game and a half with an illness. (Don't drink the water in Mexico..!!) :rolleyes:
ONO had 7 assists, but 9 turnovers.

3. The Ugly -
Christyn missed 50% of her 16 free throws.
Olivia had 15 personal fouls in 99 minutes. :eek:
Compared to the recent U-17 games, play was ragged and a bit disorganized.
With the exception of Canada, the competition was really bad.

Great experience for both players. :) Not a whole lot of practice time together and playing in a foreign country will make any all star team look bad. Both came home injury free..!!

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the only thing I got out of that tournament is that ONO clearly needs to work on improving her strength and defensive footwork...................two things easily corrected by the UConn staff.............Christyn's shooting numbers in Mexico are not a true reflection of her offensive skills that I've been observing against far better competition for the past few years...........no worries there for me..........give them a rest and then let's get em in the UConn gym to start the process

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
IMG_4480.JPG

Our two diamonds in the rough, but not for long. The honing and polishing begins now. And like donalddoowop said, "they come back to us injury free" :D A job well done ladies.

Tip in - I don't see them as they are, I see as they will be. They're in good hands. Geno and staff will take excellent care of them. By the time the staff is done with them their senior year, they'll shine so brightly, you'll have to wear a pair of sunglasses to look at them. I can't wait to see them in their brand new UConn uniforms on first night. I know they'll both look great. They'll be grinning just like they are here. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kind of seems like a mixed bag when analyzing how players will do collegiately based off of her U18 performances. After taking a look at stats from 2000-2018, for the most part, the standouts in U18 have gone on to have really strong collegiate careers and been impact players from day 1. The last go around had Lauren Cox, Chennedy Carter and Tyasha Harris as standouts. Cox took a little longer to find her stride, but Harris and Carter were effective collegiate players from day 1 despite being ranked lower than many of their peers by HG and other publications. Walker and Westbrook were on the team and both had their struggles. They were ranked 1/2 for the class of 2017....so it looks like U18 results were better predictors of collegiate readiness for those two than their HG ranking.

I will say I am surprised neither Williams or ONO really stood out, especially Williams. That said, this year's team didn't appear to have any major standouts, as almost everyone averaged between 7-11 ppg. Williams didn't shoot well from the floor but it could've just been an off week for her plus she was sick. I still expect both her and ONO to be solid contributors at UCONN this year.

One player who did stand out to me statistically is Anaya Peoples. She didn't score much and shot poorly from the field, but she had 18 assists to 7 turnovers and led the team with 15 steals, and she's a year younger than most of these girls. Haven't seen her play, but that sounds similar to Lindsey Allen who was a great PG for the Irish all 4 years she was there.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
View attachment 33584
The USA U-18 team dominated in Mexico, went 6-0 and brought home the Gold Medal. The two UConn players, Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa, had great moments and some not so good plays. Overall, they both showed raw talent and skill, but need Geno & CD's coaching.

1. The Good -
Olivia shot 22-43 from inside the arc, 51%. ;)
Christyn had 13 assists and only 5 turnovers. That is an assist to turnover ratio of 2.6, which is great.
CW can rebound..! 27 total including 10 on the offensive boards. ONO also had 27 rebounds.
ONO had 6 blocked shots and 4 steals.
Williams only had 3 fouls in 85 minutes. Lowest on the team.

2. The Bad -
Christyn went 2-8 from 3 pt range. 25%.
Olivia shot 11-19 from the free throw line. 57%.
Williams missed a game and a half with an illness. (Don't drink the water in Mexico..!!) :rolleyes:
ONO had 7 assists, but 9 turnovers.

3. The Ugly -
Christyn missed 50% of her 16 free throws.
Olivia had 15 personal fouls in 99 minutes. :eek:
Compared to the recent U-17 games, play was ragged and a bit disorganized.
With the exception of Canada, the competition was really bad.

Great experience for both players. :) Not a whole lot of practice time together and playing in a foreign country will make any all star team look bad. Both came home injury free..!!

Go Huskies..!!

Well we have two "FRESHMAN: coming this fall ! Need the size Driving to basket is needed also

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Charlie about Liv needing strength and improved footwork on defense. Her footwork on offensive, though, is pretty good. I think her offense is ahead of her defense. I really want to see Liv develop a jump hook. That can be a devastating shot. See Tina Charles as an example. Working on her footwork will keep her from reaching on defense--and reduce the fouls called against her.

Some poster commented earlier about the funky ball that was used in the tourney. Did that affect anyone's shooting? Was the poor FT shooting partially caused by it? I'm not worried about Christyn's shooting. She was 75-80% on FTs in high school.

As noted, they come back injury free--with gold medals and valuable experience.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Kind of seems like a mixed bag when analyzing how players will do collegiately based off of her U18 performances. After taking a look at stats from 2000-2018, for the most part, the standouts in U18 have gone on to have really strong collegiate careers and been impact players from day 1. The last go around had Lauren Cox, Chennedy Carter and Tyasha Harris as standouts. Cox took a little longer to find her stride, but Harris and Carter were effective collegiate players from day 1 despite being ranked lower than many of their peers by HG and other publications. Walker and Westbrook were on the team and both had their struggles. They were ranked 1/2 for the class of 2017....so it looks like U18 results were better predictors of collegiate readiness for those two than their HG ranking.

I will say I am surprised neither Williams or ONO really stood out, especially Williams. That said, this year's team didn't appear to have any major standouts, as almost everyone averaged between 7-11 ppg. Williams didn't shoot well from the floor but it could've just been an off week for her plus she was sick. I still expect both her and ONO to be solid contributors at UCONN this year.

One player who did stand out to me statistically is Anaya Peoples. She didn't score much and shot poorly from the field, but she had 18 assists to 7 turnovers and led the team with 15 steals, and she's a year younger than most of these girls. Haven't seen her play, but that sounds similar to Lindsey Allen who was a great PG for the Irish all 4 years she was there.

You said: "Kind of seems like a mixed bag when analyzing how players will do collegiately based off of her U18 performances". We must remember they've been coached by high school and AAU coaches up to this point. Every player on the roster made several outstanding plays, and showed flashes of extraordinary potential throughout the tournament.

We're comparing them to our girls at the next level who are older, have 1-2 years of college experience, and have been coached by Geno and staff. I have every confidence that these two will play a large part in continuing and perpetuating the ideals and tradition of UConn women's basketball. They will carve their own niche in UConn lore before they leave.

I look for most of the players on the U18 to go on to have steller college careers. They managed to beat two good teams (Argintina & Canada), with minimal practice. The team was only together for a very short time. Even with the loss of Sedona Prince, they managed to stay focused and pressed on to take care of the business at hand.

The USA U17 & U18 teams had some very talented players. Several of these young ladies did manage to stand out at times. I also saw all of them make some mistakes and errors in judgement, blow easy baskets, or miss a wide open teammate. I look forward to watching and following them during their college years. The U17 team was especially fun to watch. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I agree with Charlie about Liv needing strength and improved footwork on defense. Her footwork on offensive, though, is pretty good. I think her offense is ahead of her defense. I really want to see Liv develop a jump hook. That can be a devastating shot. See Tina Charles as an example. Working on her footwork will keep her from reaching on defense--and reduce the fouls called against her.

Some poster commented earlier about the funky ball that was used in the tourney. Did that affect anyone's shooting? Was the poor FT shooting partially caused by it? I'm not worried about Christyn's shooting. She was 75-80% on FTs in high school.

As noted, they come back injury free--with gold medals and valuable experience.

I'm not 100% certain but if FIBA is still using the Molten GL7X series it's just an awful basketball..........it not only offers no grip........it's downright slippery (it takes months to work in these balls).........totally the opposite of the Wilson and Nike balls that are mostly used in high school and AAU play which offer great feel and are actually somewhat tacky when new.............

Last edited:
Reaction Score
improving her strength and defensive footwork....two things easily corrected by the UConn staff.

Not so easy. We have seen recruits in the past who never go strong enough and others who never moved their feet over the course of their careers.

I don't think that's the case here, but not so easy. I would bet that oh no has been trying to get stronger throughout high school. She seems like a dedicated person.

p.s. I suspect that Geno will hit on the phrase"oh no ONO" when he gets on her butt in practice.

Reaction Score
That Stewart kid never added much bulk and is still struggling, right? ;)

I think there's naturally strong and skinny (BS) and skinny and naturally not so strong (ONO)..............nothing some long painful hours in the gym can't rectify

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom