Christyn’s Sophomore Jump | The Boneyard

Christyn’s Sophomore Jump

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
What are the impressions so far in the season? I haven’t seen the step improvement I anticipated. What am I missing?

Reaction Score
I think that she's about the same skill wise, but with more consistent confidence. My biggest issue with her is that she is kinda soft. She doesn't play *tough* defense, fight for rebounds in traffic, or press the gaps very well on the drive. Also when she gets beat, she just gives way on defense sometimes and cuts her guy loose.

If its a clean play, she's highly efficient. But when things get a bit rough, not her game.

Hope to see her get gritty!

Reaction Score
I believe the issue is more defensively than offense. I think she can be a a good defender but she has not made the leap on the defensive end. She’s always been a good offensive player. You’d like to she her improve her moves getting into the lane. She often times will try to drive and if the defender has in in front she’ll pull it out and pass it out. She needs to add some better moves and position herself to pull-up for a midrange or pass it to an open shooter when the defense collapses.
Shooting wise she can improve. I expect her to be better as the year goes along.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She has raised her scoring from 11.7 to 16.4 and her rebounds from 3.2 to 4.6 which is a pretty decent increase in production for early in a sophomore year. Unlike a lot of freshman she actually play 32 minutes a game last year, so she was doing something right and the leap wasn't likely to be that big.

Reaction Score
I expected more consistency from her because the team needs it. But I haven’t noticed any improvement. She’s got it in her to be great, but she’s still passive. It’s great that she’s a team player but at this point the team needs her to be that consistent second scoring option. She can score from all three levels of the court, her jump shot is beautiful. Hopefully she picks it up as the schedule gets tougher

Reaction Score
I expected more consistency from her because the team needs it. But I haven’t noticed any improvement. She’s got it in her to be great, but she’s still passive. It’s great that she’s a team player but at this point the team needs her to be that consistent second scoring option. She can score from all three levels of the court, her jump shot is beautiful. Hopefully she picks it up as the schedule gets tougher
Perhaps your expectations for her are unrealistic. I always saw her as more of an opportunist rather than a player who will create her own shot at this level. She seems like a player who is technically sound and knows her own limitations. What ABCDEF commented on in respect to being timid driving lanes might just be reflective of her knowing and playing within her limitations. This might also account for what some people see as inconsistency on offense. What defenses give her would vary from game to game and that might account for her variable offensive production.

Most fans based their expectations on her ending up as the top-rated player in her class combined with her good showing at the Mc Donalds All-Star game. In retrospect, her class had really no stand out #1 with a lot of shuffling throughout the years. She basically ended up #1 by default because she was the most solid and consistent player in her class.

I saw her as basically a very good player, who was technically solid and because of that not having that much upside left. Ododa has far more upside left basically because she has not reached her physical maturity yet. The telling metric on Williams is her lack of footspeed. There is little that can be done about that. This stands out the most on defense because offensively it can be mitigated by BB smarts.

The more games one watches the more one has to draw on, so I certainly could be wrong in my assessment, because I have not seen her play that many games. But then again I could also be right. Time will tell. Frankly, I see nothing wrong with allowing a player to develop without them having to live up to our expectations of them. What is most important in development is each player's own expectations of themselves and not the expectations of others. What we think has no impact what-so-ever.

Oh I should add that a very important variable with respect to a player's ups side is the level of their desire and force of will. Some players that possess that can overcome many of their other limitations. Sabrina is an example of such a player. That factor keeps many players from reaching potential or surpassing their own limitations. The question is - what is Williams level of desire and force of will.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Christyn has AA and POY abilities. Like Megan Walker, she needs to change her body. She also has to change her mindset and decide she wants to dominate games. I thought we'd see it this season but apparently not.

Reaction Score
I think Christyn can have more intensity on defense. I recall two plays from yesterday. In one there was a loose ball that Christyn reached for rather than dive or aggressively pursue, and lost it to a ND player. On another play there was a rebound in the lane that Christyn reached for flat-footed, without moving her body, and a ND player rushed past her for the rebound and bucket. In comparison, think of how Megan attacked the boards yesterday. If Christyn can replicate Megan's intensity, she becomes a much better and more valuable player for us.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think Christyn can have more intensity on defense. I recall two plays from yesterday. In one there was a loose ball that Christyn reached for rather than dive or aggressively pursue, and lost it to a ND player. On another play there was a rebound in the lane that Christyn reached for flat-footed, without moving her body, and a ND player rushed past her for the rebound and bucket. In comparison, think of how Megan attacked the boards yesterday. If Christyn can replicate Megan's intensity, she becomes a much better and more valuable player for us.

I saw those two plays as well. No excuse for that. She needs to bring the intensity at both ends.

Another symptom of no depth.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Christyn has AA and POY abilities. Like Megan Walker, she needs to change her body. She also has to change her mindset and decide she wants to dominate games. I thought we'd see it this season but apparently not.
A transformation like Megan's takes commitment over a full off season plus. One of the reasons Megan was able to do it because she was free of USA basketball this past off-season while Christyn was all over the globe.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A transformation like Megan's takes commitment over a full off season plus. One of the reasons Megan was able to do it because she was free of USA basketball this past off-season while Christyn was all over the globe.

I agree. She needs to spend an off-season like Megan just did.

Right now I see a player who is coasting at times, picking her spots, and getting by on her natural abilities. She's capable of dominating games at both ends.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Which is one of the things I complained about in some inbox discussions. Some things can only be improved upon in the gym and not on the court. Specifically her FT shooting, working on offensive and defensive weaknesses, and conditioning. It's also really tough to change your diet when your schedule has you all over the world competing. Her lack of offensive production has been puzzling to me over the last 3 to 3 1/2 games, yet I'm certain she's due a huge break out, and soon.

Reaction Score
Perhaps your expectations for her are unrealistic. I always saw her as more of an opportunist rather than a player who will create her own shot at this level. She seems like a player who is technically sound and knows her own limitations. What ABCDEF commented on in respect to being timid driving lanes might just be reflective of her knowing and playing within her limitations. This might also account for what some people see as inconsistency on offense. What defenses give her would vary from game to game and that might account for her variable offensive production.

Most fans based their expectations on her ending up as the top-rated player in her class combined with her good showing at the Mc Donalds All-Star game. In retrospect, her class had really no stand out #1 with a lot of shuffling throughout the years. She basically ended up #1 by default because she was the most solid and consistent player in her class.

I saw her as basically a very good player, who was technically solid and because of that not having that much upside left. Ododa has far more upside left basically because she has not reached her physical maturity yet. The telling metric on Williams is her lack of footspeed. There is little that can be done about that. This stands out the most on defense because offensively it can be mitigated by BB smarts.

The more games one watches the more one has to draw on, so I certainly could be wrong in my assessment, because I have not seen her play that many games. But then again I could also be right. Time will tell. Frankly, I see nothing wrong with allowing a player to develop without them having to live up to our expectations of them. What is most important in development is each player's own expectations of themselves and not the expectations of others. What we think has no impact what-so-ever.

Oh I should add that a very important variable with respect to a player's ups side is the level of their desire and force of will. Some players that possess that can overcome many of their other limitations. Sabrina is an example of such a player. That factor keeps many players from reaching potential or surpassing their own limitations. The question is - what is Williams level of desire and force of will.

Let's not go crazy here, the kid is averaging 16/5/2.5 with a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio. She is still trying to find her spots playing with this new group. The one part of her game that needs to improve is her 3 pt shooting. She is currently shooting only .30%, she is too good a shooter for that and that needs to be over .40%. She is ONLY 8 games into her sophomore year, have a little patience.

Reaction Score

I think she is getting better every game. She seemed really confident when she had to " step up" during Dangerfield's absence. On offense, no one is as fast to the hoop...or as athletic...as Williams is. Her outside shooting is inconsistent still. But only Megan and Dangerfield are "reliable" shooting from deep. But Williams will continue to improve. I don't think she has ever carried extra weight ( as Megan did in her freshman year ), and she looks strong. So, physically, I don't expect the " wow" factor change we saw in Megan. Sty calm. She is a good one who can be great.

Reaction Score
Let's not go crazy here, the kid is averaging 16/5/2.5 with a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio. She is still trying to find her spots playing with this new group. The one part of her game that needs to improve is her 3 pt shooting. She is currently shooting only .30%, she is too good a shooter for that and that needs to be over .40%. She is ONLY 8 games into her sophomore year, have a little patience.

It is funny to hear someone who has reacted the way you do in the chat room on game day preaching about having a little patience:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

from what I can see, CW can get her own shot any time she wants to....................there's nobody that can stay with her when she wants to go one on one.....................she's simply not being selfish enough and her shot especially from midrange is still not consistent enough to break through to the next level.................hopefully we will see the more aggressive Christyn in the coming weeks as the team really needs her contribution to get back to the final four...........

Reaction Score
It is funny to hear someone who has reacted the way you do in the chat room on game day preaching about having a little patience:rolleyes:

I tell it like it is, good or bad. If you don't like it there is an ignore button you can use.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Excellent post. And let's take to the next logical level. This particular UConn team is still evolving and finding itself, not just Williams.

It looks like we have an 8 player rotation. That's a good thing. But how these 8 pieces fit together as a cohesive unit is yet to be seen. There have been glimpses but not a clear picture. The constant so far has been Megan.

This entire season will be an evolution of the team and a thing to be enjoyed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Went to the USA basketball site to see how much globe trotting Christyn did this off season-it was quite a bit and most of was in 3 X 3 competition. Christyn may just be tired.
  1. FIBA 3x3 Women’s Series May 31-June 1, 2019 in Chengdu, China
  2. USA IBA 3x3 Women’s Series June 14-15, 2019 in Turin, Italy
  3. FIBA 3x3 Women’s Series July 9-10 2019 in Ekaterinburg, Russia.
  4. USA Pan American Games July 27-29 2019 Team 3x3 tournament in Lima, Peru
  5. FIBA 3x3 Women’s Series Aug 1-2 Voiron, France
  6. FIBA 3 X 3 Women's Series Aug 10-11 Bucharest, Hungary
  7. USA National Team FIBA AmeriCup training camp Sept 17-19 in Miami, Florida
  8. FIBA 3 X 3 Women's series Final stop Sept 21-22 in Edmonton, Canada

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Went to the USA basketball site to see how much globe trotting Christyn did this off season-it was quite a bit and most of was in 3 X 3 competition. Christyn may just be tired.
  1. FIBA 3x3 Women’s Series May 31-June 1, 2019 in Chengdu, China
  2. USA IBA 3x3 Women’s Series June 14-15, 2019 in Turin, Italy
  3. FIBA 3x3 Women’s Series July 9-10 2019 in Ekaterinburg, Russia.
  4. USA Pan American Games July 27-29 2019 Team 3x3 tournament in Lima, Peru
  5. USA National Team FIBA AmeriCup training camp Sept 17-19 in Miami, Florida

You left off FIBA 3x3 tournaments in Voiron, France in August and Edmonton in September.

Reaction Score
from what I can see, CW can get her own shot any time she wants to....................there's nobody that can stay with her when she wants to go one on one.....................she's simply not being selfish enough and her shot especially from midrange is still not consistent enough to break through to the next level.................hopefully we will see the more aggressive Christyn in the coming weeks as the team really needs her contribution to get back to the final four...........
Or that could be an example of what I remarked on. She is smart enough to know what she can and can not do. She just does what she knows she can succeed in. As I said she is a really intelligent player who knows and plays withing her abilities. So she never tries to go one on one with anyone she knows she can not beat. That is just smart ball. She does not possess the foot speed to reflect the type of player that can get her shot anytime and against anyone she wants.

Another thing I mentioned in my previous post was the desire and will to win. I don't get to see her enough to give my perspective on that, but from some of the other posts, it seems like she seems to presently lack intensity. That is a major factor in how dominant and effective a player becomes. Not saying she doesn't, but some players just lack the intensity and personality to reach their ultimate potential. There were also posters who implied that she has not improved her skill level as much as has been hoped. You can always improve skills, but desire and intensity are a product of an individual's personality and that generally does not change.

As I stated in my last post- time will tell.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Christyn will be fine. Just give her another month. She'll be squeakin' big time in January.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She may be a little burned out on basketball. if you listened to her talk you will know she has a high level of desire. She is not forcing anything and she has hit some timely shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom