Christian Vital | The Boneyard

Christian Vital

Reaction Score
He's really impressed me with his growth but come on now. He'll never be a top 10 player in the conference. Too many chinks in his overall game. If he is a top 10 player in the conference next year the talent level in the conference has failed miserably

Reaction Score
Love the heart of Vital, he is as blue collar as they come- minus the stare downs. He’s a role player and on a better team will be very valuable as such. He rebounds, defends (to an extent) and makes open shots. He’s not a guy who can get his own shot. He never will be with his limited handle. But we need him (and Gilbert) to lead this young group coming in next year, by example.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hes played a lot better. My biggest thing with him was always shot selection. I feel like he has dramatically improved in that category, thus the higher efficiency and quality of play. Always had the heart.

And while it's a criticism I share, I can live with that*. His aggressiveness is one of the things that is sorely lacking on this team. Polley, Carlton, even Jalen....not the most ferocious bunch to say the least. Without Vital, we'd be the most passive team in history.

*he has been improving in that department. I think if he was taught day 1, and not thrown to the fire and given too much rope, he'd be much further along there.

Reaction Score
Anyone that doesn't think CV is the heart of this team is missing something. He's the only one who brings is every day--win or lose. Off day, or when he's feeling it. The effort is always the same. No other player can say that on this team.

His effective FG% is nearly 60%. That's really, really good.

Reaction Score
He's been great, really has love who he has become or at least is trying to be. He's close but still has a couple things which need to go, but so do all good players on this team. The one big flaw which remains is when he goes to the basket the brakes don't work a lot, just needs to use them a little more. But who can complain, he's the gu with 32 seconds left getting an offensive rebound scoring with an and-1!!!

Reaction Score
He has improved all 3 years. Turned into a very good 3rd guard with 3 point range. Tough player but not the type that makes his teammates better. Thus, a 3rd guard. He is not a creator and you are not going to see him double teamed like Jalen. Don't think for a 2nd that he's not getting more open looks because defenses our concentrating on Jalen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's the key to next year. He's in a position to set the tone for the team. CV in that role is one of the things that make me hopeful for next year.

Reaction Score
He has improved all 3 years. Turned into a very good 3rd guard with 3 point range. Tough player but not the type that makes his teammates better. Thus, a 3rd guard. He is not a creator and you are not going to see him double teamed like Jalen. Don't think for a 2nd that he's not getting more open looks because defenses our concentrating on Jalen.

You don't need to be a great creator or passer to make your teammates better. His energy is infectious and makes his teammates better that way. That statement is just wrong.

Reaction Score
Vital is a role player. The fact that his playing time has been so high for the team for 3 years is a testament to how poor the recruiting has been.

He plays hard and can hit the occassional 3. That being said, his handle is poor, he tries to do too much at crunch time which of course is when the defence is stepped up and his weaknesses show themselves. He is a good third guard whose role should be to spell the top two guards but shouldn't have to be on the court down the stretch. I do understand that on the current team he is the best option available for the fifth player at crunch time but him being there has hurt us a few times, including last night.

Reaction Score
Vital is a role player. The fact that his playing time has been so high for the team for 3 years is a testament to how poor the recruiting has been.

He plays hard and can hit the occassional 3. That being said, his handle is poor, he tries to do too much at crunch time which of course is when the defence is stepped up and his weaknesses show themselves. He is a good third guard whose role should be to spell the top two guards but shouldn't have to be on the court down the stretch. I do understand that on the current team he is the best option available for the fifth player at crunch time but him being there has hurt us a few times, including last night.

You’re underselling how good he’s been this year. He has a an eFG% of 59.6% and a TS% it 62.4% both rank in the top 125 of players in division one. We’ve never had a guard at uconn going back to 2002 that has shot the ball as effectively as he has this season when being used on more than 20% on possessions. He also has a steal% of 3.2% which puts in in the top 135 players in d1.

Reaction Score
You’re underselling how good he’s been this year. He has a an eFG% of 59.6% and a TS% it 62.4% both rank in the top 125 of players in division one. We’ve never had a guard at uconn going back to 2002 that has shot the ball as effectively as he has this season when being used on more than 20% on possessions. He also has a steal% of 3.2% which puts in in the top 135 players in d1.

The idea that he's not a D1 tourney team starter is delusional. He would be excellent paired with a high-level point guard and a big man that demanded any semblance of attention. He's not a #1 option. He's a #2 or #3 option on a perimeter-oriented offense.

Reaction Score
I love him. I'm impressed at how much he has grown over the past year, but I don't think he is top ten in the conference. Next year? Not probable.
He doesn’t need to be top 10 anything to be a great leader. He’s the leader NOW. It’s obvious yet unofficial. He makes mistakes but doesn’t hang his head and defends the blue and white to the bone. He is all over his team with encouragement and support. Who is the first to hit a player after a great play. Who enforces hockey style on opposing players. Who tries to bring up the emotions and energy. CV.

Reaction Score
To add. He wants to be the leader to. It’s written all over him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He needs to shoot more daggers to be a leader. He had a chance with that three yesterday and he bricked it.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Hes played a lot better. My biggest thing with him was always shot selection. I feel like he has dramatically improved in that category, thus the higher efficiency and quality of play. Always had the heart.

Exactly. His numbers were really low because he was allowed to take every dumb shot under the sun with the prior regime

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom