Christian Vital | The Boneyard

Christian Vital

Reaction Score
I didn't know he could shoot quite this well. Bodes well for next year.

Reaction Score
The best thing about Vital is his decision making as a freshman. He makes the right play the huge majority of the time. Even in the games where he's shot terribly, he's always taken shots that he's supposed to taking within the the offense.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The best thing about Vital is his decision making as a freshman. He makes the right play the huge majority of the time. Even in the games where he's shot terribly, he's always taken shots that he's supposed to taking within the the offense.
Can see that both he & Vance grew up with the game. They're still adjusting to the speed of college ball, but they understand the concepts and feel of the game.

Reaction Score
I didn't know he could shoot quite this well. Bodes well for next year.
Christian can shoot the ball much better than he has shown this year.....he is a streaky shooter who when he's on will shoot from anywhere....and that can be a problem....he will take some of the wildest shots you can imagine....his biggest improvement this year seems to be staying within the offense......been waiting for his shooting to break out.....might be the start of a 4-5 games roll

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Agree. Game speed appears to be right for Vital.

Reaction Score
Vital is a work in progress. He is aggressive. His defense is sometimes good, sometimes bad. He loses his man a lot. He's a freshman. His offense is inconsistent. More than great tonight. Terrific.

The good news is that he is getting an accelerated education because of our injuries.

Reaction Score
I think he will be a good player for us. He will play defense for sure. The 1 thing I have liked about him this season, is that he aint scred to shoot it. He aint just shot it all that well, but he doesnt hesistate when he can square up, and get a clean look. Thats a good thing. Nights like this happen, when your not scared to let it fly. He has a decent stroke to.

Reaction Score
Vital already great hustle player on/off defense. Add improved shooting to the list, and he's gonna be a solid 4 year player.

Reaction Score
The good news is that he is getting an accelerated education because of our injuries.
The one big positive from this tough season is that some of these kids are getting experience, and getting better for the future, that they wouldn't have gotten if the team wasn't so shorthanded.

Adams has to stay for next season. It's the best chance this team has to be very good next season. I'm still a believer that with a full squad this season they would have been pretty good and bounced back from the Wagner and Northeastern losses.

Reaction Score
The one big positive from this tough season is that some of these kids are getting experience, and getting better for the future, that they wouldn't have gotten if the team wasn't so shorthanded.

Adams has to stay for next season. It's the best chance this team has to be very good next season. I'm still a believer that with a full squad this season they would have been pretty good and bounced back from the Wagner and Northeastern losses.

Yea that's the one thing that annoys me about those two losses is that when the injury situation is brought up people bring those 2 losses up and say they were gonna suck anyway if completely healthy. Jalen and Facey are completely different players from the beginning of the year, combine that with Gilbert/Larrier and it's a different story from what's playing out now.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Offensively, CV was huge tonite (except that last 3 attempt!!)
On defense he can be a pest when playing man to man but he does not understand the concept of a zone. Earlier VJ had the same issue but seems to have somewhat figured it out.
I'm happy for CV and for VJ for the opportunity that the injuries have given them - lets hope that next year they won't be too disappointed with PT because all these minutes wont be there
These minutes will help them grow immensely
Even though VJ didn't burn up the nets his passing was smart

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
All good points, fellas. Have to put it out there though that it was USF, who stinks on ice.

Still there is something to be said when only 6 scholarship kids are available and get meaningful minutes.

Reaction Score
The zone offense is much more fluid and patient then it was earlier. Still, its going to be difficult to play a 6 man rotation. Even when we get Enoch and Durham back they are not going to get a lot of minutes, but they will give us 10 more fouls. They need to play to improve, just as Vital and Jackson have done.

Reaction Score
I'm liking the thought of 2-3 years from now, possibly having upperclassmen of Vance, Vital, Alterique, MAL, Juwan, Mama. I know we haven't really seen what Mama Alterique and even Juwan can offer, but the huge strides we've seen from Vance and Vital this season have me feeling good about a couple of years from now, even if an impeachment doesn't happen

Reaction Score
If Christian and Vance both stick around for four years, they are going to make us very happy. Both need work defensively, but virtually all freshman do.

As an aside, does Vital remind anybody else a bit of Russ Smith? Seems like they're from the same area, similar body types, and similarly ranked out of high school. Vital isn't as quick and it's very unlikely he'll ever be as good, but he's ahead of where Russ was as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Who was our last freshman guard to knock down 5-7? Two things. He was shooting from the line not 3 feet behind it, and he was open. The percentages are higher that way for both him and Vance. Same with Jalen shooting from the line. I know they don't always get that position but it takes work, ball movement which we have improved upon lately.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Who was our last freshman guard to knock down 5-7? Two things. He was shooting from the line not 3 feet behind it, and he was open. The percentages are higher that way for both him and Vance. Same with Jalen shooting from the line. I know they don't always get that position but it takes work, ball movement which we have improved upon lately.
2-3 zone allows for that. No man can recover to the week side as fast as a passed ball. It leaves shooters wide open. After 3-4 makes, the weak side guard starts to cheat and that leaves the middle open. Queue Facey at the foul line (That will be Larier and Diarra next year).

The opponent was in turmoil, but the emergence of Vital, Adams (as a 3 pt threat), and Jackson has taken a lot of heat off Purvis to do everything.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Christian and Vance both stick around for four years, they are going to make us very happy. Both need work defensively, but virtually all freshman do.

As an aside, does Vital remind anybody else a bit of Russ Smith? Seems like they're from the same area, similar body types, and similarly ranked out of high school. Vital isn't as quick and it's very unlikely he'll ever be as good, but he's ahead of where Russ was as a freshman.

What I think he can be in 2-3 years is about 85% of Ben Gordon, and that's a good thing. I don't think he has Ben's athleticism, or maybe I haven't seen it, and he needs to get stronger. That's got to be a priority in the offseason. He has improved a ton, and I think Vance has improved even more. Vance, tabbed as a shooter, has a really nice first step and is strong taking the ball to the rim and rebounding. He's also a natural passer, which I don't know if we would have seen if he hadn't been thrust into this role.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom