Christian Vital out tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Christian Vital out tonight

Reaction Score
You guys are just knee jerk conventional thinkers who in this case dispense with logic. The chance of receiving another head blow in basketball is remote where as with boxing you are guaranteed to receive hundreds of head blows and football you are guaranteed to have car like collisions multiple times a game.

Put another way to casual and expert fans - why would you have the same protocol when the risk levels is exponentially different? If you disagree with me - please explain that?

The protocol is about waiting until the concussion is gone. Regardless of sport. You don't do ANY activities on the protocol.

Getting another injury is almost irrelevant because NO ONE even CONSIDERS playing with a concussion unless they're an insufferable turd like you.

Sometimes you have to sit in a dark room for days on end and do nothing when you have a concussion. That is how serious concussions are.

Vital will not play if he's not cleared. Even if we have to forfeit a national championship game because of it.

Reaction Score
This is just absurd. Can somebody put together a chart, never seen a team this injured in my life. We've basically had 6 players this season who could play anywhere near 100%.
Yeah. Its simply unbelievable. Just insane. This season can not end soon enough.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You guys are just knee jerk conventional thinkers who in this case dispense with logic. The chance of receiving another head blow in basketball is remote where as with boxing you are guaranteed to receive hundreds of head blows and football you are guaranteed to have car like collisions multiple times a game.

Put another way to casual and expert fans - why would you have the same protocol when the risk levels is exponentially different? If you disagree with me - please explain that?
because the only acceptable risk of stacking concussions is 0. Conventional thinking isn't always wrong and outside-the-box is sometimes goofy.

C

Chief00

The protocol is about waiting until the concussion is gone. Regardless of sport. You don't do ANY activities on the protocol.

Getting another injury is almost irrelevant because NO ONE even CONSIDERS playing with a concussion unless they're an insufferable turd like you.

Sometimes you have to sit in a dark room for days on end and do nothing when you have a concussion. That is how serious concussions are.

Vital will not play if he's not cleared. Even if we have to forfeit a national championship game because of it.

Name calling is a poor substitute for a coherent response. How does the mild concussion get worse if he had played?

Of course, everyone realizes Vital won't play if he isn't cleared. I am challenging the logic that all sports are treated the same in the UConn process. To relate to the casual fan, is it unreasonable to let someone walk to the bathroom while on protocol? Or walk from their dorm to the basketball facility? So for different activities we do assume different risk factors. Sports are activities, so why wouldn't you assume common sense risk ratings? For instance - perhaps bowling or golf should assume a lower risk than boxing. So you are saying those activities should be treated exactly the same as boxing when you get repeated blows to the head? To me, that's an ill informed and crazy approach.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I admire a good argument as much as anybody but you've got to know how weak this is... a player with concussion symptoms has diminished reaction time, diminished hand-eye coordination, susceptibility to bright light affecting equilibrium -- the risk of another injury is obviously and in-arguably greater than it is for a non-concussed player and the potential damage from a follow-on injury is exponentially greater; comparing the necessary risk of getting to a bathroom or across campus to the unnecessary risk of playing in a high-speed physical game is... I guess "ill-informed and crazy' is as good a phrase as any. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you know better and are just enjoying the argument.

Reaction Score

Honest question, and try for once to respond like a person who's capable of conversing like a normal person: have you ever heard the phrase "second impact syndrome"?

Reaction Score
Name calling is a poor substitute for a coherent response. How does the mild concussion get worse if he had played?

Of course, everyone realizes Vital won't play if he isn't cleared. I am challenging the logic that all sports are treated the same in the UConn process. To relate to the casual fan, is it unreasonable to let someone walk to the bathroom while on protocol? Or walk from their dorm to the basketball facility? So for different activities we do assume different risk factors. Sports are activities, so why wouldn't you assume common sense risk ratings? For instance - perhaps bowling or golf should assume a lower risk than boxing. So you are saying those activities should be treated exactly the same as boxing when you get repeated blows to the head? To me, that's an ill informed and crazy approach.

Playing a division one sport--football, basketball, hockey.. just about anything other than badminton is not worth the risk. They're a little bit different activities than walking to the toilet.

Basketball is a contact sport and requires safety measure as such.

Do you understand the people die from second impact syndrome?

That will be my last comment on the topic. I just pray that you don't work in the medical or athletic fields (in real life... not your fantasy land where you chill with your boy Dre)

C

Chief00

Honest question, and try for once to respond like a person who's capable of conversing like a normal person: have you ever heard the phrase "second impact syndrome"?

Yes, I am familiar with that term - which is often associated with the first occurrence having losing consciousness indicated. In sports, usually associated with boxing or football. Is any of that what happened with Vital?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Playing a division one sport--football, basketball, hockey.. just about anything other than badminton is not worth the risk. They're a little bit different activities than walking to the toilet.

Basketball is a contact sport and requires safety measure as such.

Do you understand the people die from second impact syndrome?

That will be my last comment on the topic. I just pray that you don't work in the medical or athletic fields (in real life... not your fantasy land where you chill with your boy Dre)
You obviously have never been hit by a shuttlecock!

Reaction Score
Yes, I am familiar with that term - which is often associated with the first occurrence having losing consciousness indicated. In sports, usually associated with boxing or football. Is any of that what happened with Vital?

I can tell by your response that you're not familiar with the term. You seem incapable of ever conceding that you don't know something. What you wrote is literally gibberish. Second impact syndrome occurs when a person suffers a second concussion before the symptoms of the first one subsided. The rub is that the contact precipitating the second concussion can be exceedingly minor to cause a cerebral edema. We're talking death here. And it doesn't require getting punched in the head or getting trucked by a linebacker.

It's why your position on Vital is so absurd. You seem to think that because he's not likely to take some sort of big hit to the head again he should play, because it's basketball, not football. But the entire point is that since he's concussed it doesn't take much contact to cause potentially fatal damage.

Reaction Score
I can tell by your response that you're not familiar with the term. You seem incapable of ever conceding that you don't know something. What you wrote is literally gibberish. Second impact syndrome occurs when a person suffers a second concussion before the symptoms of the first one subsided. The rub is that the contact precipitating the second concussion can be exceedingly minor to cause a cerebral edema. We're talking death here. And it doesn't require getting punched in the head or getting trucked by a linebacker.

It's why your position on Vital is so absurd. You seem to think that because he's not likely to take some sort of big hit to the head again he should play, because it's basketball, not football. But the entire point is that since he's concussed it doesn't take much contact to cause potentially fatal damage.
Not a contact sport

Reaction Score

Great explanation here. And when it isn't fatal, the effects can still be debilitating for life.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
And in other news can't wait to see chief in action if Vance doesn't play Sunday.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Glen Miller was flying the damn plane.
And Vance was zoned out! All kidding aside I'm hoping it wasn't a serious condition but more like Vance read the Boneyard after the game.

C

Chief00

Actually one of my good friends was ahead of his time on concussions - and in the early 1980's - submitted a PHd thesis topic - which suggested protocols like we see now in boxing and football - but he was ahead of his time - and the committee did not approve. So I have been familiar with these types of issues for decades since he was frustrated the committee would not see the light and often talked about it. Therefore, I understood the need for protocols that exist today over 30 years ago. But as with lots of things they are now protecting against almost nonexistent risk and for a variety of reasons that's seldom good medicine.

The point you seem to be missing is by all accounts Vital did not lose consciousness and he had either no concussion or a borderline mild one but a conservative approach was taken - in neither case would this second syndrome kick in - since the first event is barely symptomatic, if at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The point you seem to be missing is by all accounts Vital did not lose consciousness and he had either no concussion or a borderline mild one but a conservative approach was taken - in neither case would this second syndrome kick in - since the first event is barely symptomatic if at all.

This is about what I expected from you.

I feel bad for you. I can't imagine there's anyone that can stand having a conversation with you in your actual life. You just can't accept the idea that there are things you don't know everything about and people like that are just miserable to interact with.

Whatever, chief, you keep doing you. I think everyone is just relieved that the crazy old guy behind the bench has no say when it comes to things like this.

C

Chief00

This is about what I expected from you.

I feel bad for you. I can't imagine there's anyone that can stand having a conversation with you in your actual life. You just can't accept the idea that there are things you don't know everything about and people like that are just miserable to interact with.

Whatever, chief, you keep doing you. I think everyone is just relieved that the crazy old guy behind the bench has no say when it comes to things like this.

What about that crazy fan that yells at refs at MSG? LOL

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Actually one of my good friends was ahead of his time on concussions - and in the early 1980's - submitted a PHd thesis topic - which suggested protocols like we see now in boxing and football - but he was ahead of his time - and the committee did not approve. So I have been familiar with these types of issues for decades since he was frustrated the committee would not see the light and often talked about it. Therefore, I understood the need for protocols that exist today over 30 years ago. But as with lots of things they are now protecting against almost nonexistent risk and for a variety of reasons that's seldom good medicine.

The point you seem to be missing is by all accounts Vital did not lose consciousness and he had either no concussion or a borderline mild one but a conservative approach was taken - in neither case would this second syndrome kick in - since the first event is barely symptomatic, if at all.
OK Cliff.
cliff-clavin.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom